Air brake conversions

cedan

We have the old cattle body from our lorry here and we are looking for a chassis atm to make a tractor pulled trailer.

The chassis would probably be coming with air brakes and we were thinking of converting the 2680 to air to match. Would this be the way to go? Are they expensive or difficult to fit? Don't even know where ya'd go to buy it tbh!

We have the old cattle body from our lorry here and we are looking for a chassis atm to make a tractor pulled trailer.

The chassis would probably be coming with air brakes and we were thinking of converting the 2680 to air to match. Would this be the way to go? Are they expensive or difficult to fit? Don't even know where ya'd go to buy it tbh!
iirc an air brake kit is roughly about 2k, but dont quote me on that.

it would be cheaper to weld on hyd cylinders imo.
a propper hyd brake system is just as effective as a air one, but with air you would be able to brake softer just.

iirc an air brake kit is roughly about 2k, but dont quote me on that.

it would be cheaper to weld on hyd cylinders imo.
a propper hyd brake system is just as effective as a air one, but with air you would be able to brake softer just.

would it be a simple job to convert from air back to hydraulic?

would it be a simple job to convert from air back to hydraulic?
aw yeah.
just cut the susie brackets off and weld on a hyd cylinder brake kit.

like so, suits the round axle.
12702_pic2.jpg

I think the local dealer quoted me about £60 ish as well ,not sure what make though but just put the link up to let the op see what we were talking about

Where can you that kind of kit Tinny
any sparex dealer mf.
just checked there, that type is about €50 dearer than the straight hyd one i put up earlier.

as above, just checked the air hyd one there and it would cost €150 odd vat included.
that makes the one on e bay a steal.
someone is having a toffee crisp....

hc is right tho, straight swap, if you could get them for 60-70 odd quid then i wouldnt bother dirtying myself cutting and welding tbh.

I bought a kit from nc trailers lately for my lowloader. The four air/hydraulic actuators were £124 a piece. Four axle brackets to weld on, all the mounts for the bits, tank, relay valve, suzzies came to £485 and a shunt valve was £60. Another £55 then to get the pallet landed in cork so overall just under £1100 for absolutely everything. When I get around to fitting it il taker a few pics

I got around to fitting the kit on monday evening. Once i had the floor out of the trailer it took around 5hours to get everything right. In fairness to nc engineering i was short nothing and had a good illustration of the system to help :thumbup:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 67
I got around to fitting the kit on monday evening. Once i had the floor out of the trailer it took around 5hours to get everything right. In fairness to nc engineering i was short nothing and had a good illustration of the system to help :thumbup:

Nicely done James:thumbup:

I bought a kit from nc trailers lately for my lowloader. The four air/hydraulic actuators were £124 a piece. Four axle brackets to weld on, all the mounts for the bits, tank, relay valve, suzzies came to £485 and a shunt valve was £60. Another £55 then to get the pallet landed in cork so overall just under £1100 for absolutely everything. When I get around to fitting it il taker a few pics

Bro in-law has just bought 4 air hydraulic actuators from Erentrek and they were
£50 a piece delivered.:thumbup:

A Kit like that can be bought for £495 + Vat, a Kit to go on a tractor is £2000 to £3000 depending on the tractor MF 2680 will not be good to do.

Back