Ploughing

C

Cork

Anyone ploughing? hows it turning up?

Did some light land after rape this week which turned up nicely, tried some free draining loam stubble this afternoon but packed up as it isnt dry enough yet.

been doing some ploughing yest and today ,its a mixed bit and needed all its time on the heavy bits , the loam is going well ,some of the other fields need all their time to carry the slurry tanker going on in front

Just started there earlier in the top field its dry enough and breaking nicely considering the other fields will need a few more days the neighbour started wensday as he is way behind

Turning up respectable enough here in Limerick,another few days and it will be in great form.
Big swing in just 1 week :eek:

Started on thursday evening in rape ground, drove around a few fields earlier in the week with subsoiler lettting water go, i know its not ideal but it had to be done, was in wheat stubble today and yesterday that had got slurry, dry on top and good enough grip but still a hard pull, ploughing up wet enough it would be heavy ground but it wont dry till its turned over, should get a good bit done if next week remains dry, its a great start didnt expect to be as far on, going to keep ploughing anywhere i can to try and make up for last backend, all in all im very happy with how its going now.

Ploughing here since yesterday evening, only just stopped now.

Turning up well, not bone dry but very respectable.

Will have a good bit done by tomorrow evening and Dad can finish up the wetter headlands/fields mid week.

Checked diesel usage id reckon i could be using 1L+/ac more than normal in heavy going.

Actually, think we are using less than last year but much happier with the plough setup this year, was ploughing fine last year but just didn't seem right on the tractor. Much better now.

What speed are you going at? I'm on 6 km/hr and Dad thinks it is too fast, I have told him I need another furrow or two.

I check tomorrow id say around 4mph. What are you ploughing with the dini? it would be interesting to see how much diesel you are using.

Ploughing up very tacky here although dry on top, very hard going and savage hard on diesel this year, can't drag it any faster than 6kmh
What sort of diesel consumption/ acre are people on heavy ground getting?

I check tomorrow id say around 4mph. What are you ploughing with the dini? it would be interesting to see how much diesel you are using.

3f conv, 14in but not sprung.

Traveling 6 to 7km/hr around 1400 rpm.

We'll get a bigger plough in time but this will do for now.

No accurate way of measuring but we are ploughing the one way which won't help but I'd estimate 6 litres to the acre based on the 20 l drums we are filling her with at the moment.

It does about 15 mins loader work a day too so have only an estimate.

Ploughing up very tacky here although dry on top, very hard going and savage hard on diesel this year, can't drag it any faster than 6kmh
What sort of diesel consumption/ acre are people on heavy ground getting?

I reckon i was burning 10L/ac yesterday, heavy ground hard pulling, i post up during the week, id expect in easier conditions to be burning 8 or 9L/ac including road travel.

About 9L/ac at the moment incl road work I think. Light land ploughing to 10" deep and pulling furrow press.

This was the lighter land, turning up nicely on Saturday morning...

Attachments

• Press 1.jpg
    Press 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 119
Love the job it does John, great firming of the seedbed and a nice bit of cultivation without an extra set of wheeltracks. Tried a piece just over the road from you on saturday but it was too tacky. Ill see what its like in a week.
Press has to be transported seperately on 3point linkage which is a slight drawback.

Love the job it does John, great firming of the seedbed and a nice bit of cultivation without an extra set of wheeltracks. Tried a piece just over the road from you on saturday but it was too tacky. Ill see what its like in a week.
Press has to be transported seperately on 3point linkage which is a slight drawback.

+1 to that. we have a front linkage on the tractor to carry ours around. handy but scary coming out at crossroads:cool:

A JD 6430 premium is the tug. 125hp if i remember correctly, hard to be sure nowadays with power boosts etc!
Plough pulls straight no bother, no big strains as far as I can tell!!

Ur not cleaning ur furrow very well.or is ur land so light that the furrow wall just caves in.:whistle::whistle:.
I should probably hold my thunder till I put up a few pics of me ploughing tomorrow.

Back