The older Zetors

the daddy of all around here was a couple of 14145's in a fleet of deutz, never seen a 16145 around,

i know a guy who had an ursus 1232 (160hp 2wd) on a ten-x i asked him why he went for a 2wd he said, i was ordering the tractor today and i wanted it tomorrow!!

we had a pair of 8145's, both 1990's, the final one left in 2006 against a TM, its a machine we all miss going for a burn in!!

my uncle sold 2 or 3 think he said the all went to navan trim areas, we had 2 8011's and a 6718 back in the day, one crystal had a loader and was some machine on a pit in 1977.

I had forgotten about the Perkins conversion that I rescued a few months back.

I bet the 4cyl Zetor engine had better torque characteristics than the Perkins 6.354.

A 12011 would be a fair old bus.

O'hEidin, would have thought the Duncan cab versions would be a nicer drive...

seem to remember the pistons in a 4 pot crystal are nearly 6" dia from when uncle pulled head off his 8011 when it blew a headgasket, long stroke too. Had their good points, but had a lot of bad ones too, dry disc brakes being high up the list

Had they EP 90 in the hydraulic system, could be wrong but I remember a 6cyl Crystal and thought that was what went into it.

Had they EP 90 in the hydraulic system, could be wrong but I remember a 6cyl Crystal and thought that was what went into it.

had normal multi purpose engine oil in one i dealt with, hedgecutter hyds ran off of it constantly, she would be a bit stiff running on 90?

I had forgotten about the Perkins conversion that I rescued a few months back.

I bet the 4cyl Zetor engine had better torque characteristics than the Perkins 6.354.

A 12011 would be a fair old bus.

O'hEidin, would have thought the Duncan cab versions would be a nicer drive...

Same cab as the one in the dd ad.

liked the crystals too but they were soft tractor as one fellow said the day you really were depending on them the were sure to break down,they had a great hi/lo shift on them and as far as i know they were the only tractor you could tow start that had a hi/lo shift or am i mistaken?

liked the crystals too but they were soft tractor as one fellow said the day you really were depending on them the were sure to break down,they had a great hi/lo shift on them and as far as i know they were the only tractor you could tow start that had a hi/lo shift or am i mistaken?

can tow start a DB hydrashift, not that ive had to as they start when asked unlike any fords ive been on :whistle:

Same cab as the one in the dd ad.

The one in your link is the Zetor cab not the Duncan??

Ford Dual Power could be towed too - not that they would be needed.

MF couldn't and don't think JD could be either until the 40 series.

The 6600 I had wouldn't start on tow, and it did need it.
Why is it tha some tractors (Zetor, DB etc) haave better traction than others?
A Zetor 12445 will out grip a Deere 7530 when ploughing with identical ploughs, yet the Deere has a 4 tonne addvantage?

The 6600 I had wouldn't start on tow, and it did need it.
Why is it tha some tractors (Zetor, DB etc) haave better traction than others?
A Zetor 12445 will out grip a Deere 7530 when ploughing with identical ploughs, yet the Deere has a 4 tonne addvantage?

Bet the zetor is on narrower tyres, there's the answer.

Many years ago now we had a 5511 and a DB 995 and the Zetor would run rings round when it came to traction, especially ploughing.

And wrapping the throttle all the way round the steering column on the 5511 made you think you were going faster :lol:

My uncle was running a fleet of Zetor Crystals in the 90s along with my fathers 7810 and 7610.Theres one story where my father was drivin a 10111 up a good sized hillwith a Full 16ft silage trailer and he went drop a gear, he grabbed a hold of the gearstick and it broke off completely.Another day he was drawing down the hill with a 12145 with another identical trailer and he lost the brakes so he had to run it into the car park of the local church.They were cutting on some steep land and a 10111 ended up onits side and because she had no doors the driver was left standing upright in the cab.The best of them all I think is one wet day all the 'leather the deads'(as the zetors were affectionatly known) were either stuck or broke down and except the 14145 mowing and my father in the 7810 drawing and the 7810 was pulling a 18ft Fraser were as all the leather the deads were pulling 16Fts. Anyway they went in for dinner at at the time 3 of the crystals were new and my uncle was bragging about his fine silage gear and my father goes 'At one stage there I was the silage geaar' :D

did any of the zetor brochures ever have a torque curve in them ?

Ive never seen one, the seem to have bags of low down torque for their time but never seen anything to prove or disprove it

the aul boys very fond of the crystals, on very steep ground here aswell, very good tractor other that the brakes he thought.
theres also a fleet of them, now turbo'd, that lifted grass with 16/ woods/donnellys. next to a class spfh for the past 12 years, before that they drew from a ten x powered by a zetor.

My uncle was running a fleet of Zetor Crystals in the 90s along with my fathers 7810 and 7610.Theres one story where my father was drivin a 10111 up a good sized hillwith a Full 16ft silage trailer and he went drop a gear, he grabbed a hold of the gearstick and it broke off completely.Another day he was drawing down the hill with a 12145 with another identical trailer and he lost the brakes so he had to run it into the car park of the local church.They were cutting on some steep land and a 10111 ended up onits side and because she had no doors the driver was left standing upright in the cab.The best of them all I think is one wet day all the 'leather the deads'(as the zetors were affectionatly known) were either stuck or broke down and except the 14145 mowing and my father in the 7810 drawing and the 7810 was pulling a 18ft Fraser were as all the leather the deads were pulling 16Fts. Anyway they went in for dinner at at the time 3 of the crystals were new and my uncle was bragging about his fine silage gear and my father goes 'At one stage there I was the silage geaar' :D

Yes the gearsticks were prone to breaking I welded a few of them back in the day.
Just before ye all get too nostalgic ,here are few common faults/weaknesses

1 the brakes were hopeless dry discs with a master cylinder slave cylinder set up similar to a car
2 The gears were rough
3 The pto stub had a flimsy clip holing it in which always ended the shafts been welded in.
3 The 6 cylinder models had 12/24 volt box under the seat which regularly went on fire
4 The radiators were heavy and badly mounted and shook themselves apart
5 The pick up hitches were dire and the swayed over and back when you let them down .
6 The visibility to the sides and rear was very poor due to the big square mudguards ,the forward seat position and the "mechanics seat"
7 the were always leaking oil

need i go on

Yes the gearsticks were prone to breaking I welded a few of them back in the day.

1 the brakes were hopeless dry discs with a master cylinder slave cylinder set up similar to a car
2 The gears were rough
3 The pto stub had a flimsy clip holing it in which always ended the shafts been welded in.
3 The 6 cylinder models had 12/24 volt box under the seat which regularly went on fire
5 The pick up hitches were dire and the swayed over and back when you let them down .
6 The visibility to the sides and rear was very poor due to the big square mudguards ,the forward seat position and the "mechanics seat"

need i go on

mechanic dream machine to pay his wages by the sounds of it.

2 The gears were rough

need i go on

well the oil leaks meant you never had to do an oil change as you were changing it regularly
the 6 cylinder 24 volt boxes only went of fire if you used them, but god gave us hills to start zetors on so why bother with starters and silly boxes
the pick up hitches were brilliant you just needed to get in the general area and the spotter outside just nudged the hitch into place
you see big cab with poor visibility-i see spacious work area
rough gears-learn to drive
no brakes-zetors don't need brakes :lol:

Back