Trailer brake question.

tinman

Very Senior Member
in the middle of shoeing the dump trailer at the mo.
now that she has new shoes and even with adjustment ( the gammy enuf rams with the 12mm adjuster bolt at the back ) its going to be a case of all duck or no dinner, like it was when new, or close at least.

i was wondering, what if i put a 0.75 ltr accumulator on the brake line feed so when i press the brake, it slowly applies the brakes on the trailer, making, or one would hope, a bit of a softer landing.
but would it let enough oil back quick enough to release them, tbh, id have my doubts, even as they are, and with two springs, they can be slow enuf to release.
so id imagine my plan may not work.:001_unsure:
would there be any other way around it.
i dont have air.

now that she has new shoes and even with adjustment ( the gammy enuf rams with the 12mm adjuster bolt at the back ) its going to be a case of all duck or no dinner, like it was when new, or close at least.

i was wondering, what if i put a 0.75 ltr accumulator on the brake line feed so when i press the brake, it slowly applies the brakes on the trailer, making, or one would hope, a bit of a softer landing.
but would it let enough oil back quick enough to release them, tbh, id have my doubts, even as they are, and with two springs, they can be slow enuf to release.
i dont have air.
Thought i read it on here before that someone mentioned load sensing system for oil brake`s. See the last post here maybe slurryboy might know more http://www.forum4farming.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6072&page=7

It would need to operate off the drawbar if its on a bogie,but if positioned wrong it could have a negative effect if the trailer nose dives under heavy braking.

It would need to operate off the drawbar if its on a bogie,but if positioned wrong it could have a negative effect if the trailer nose dives under heavy braking.

its a bogie, but i dont get your first point, its late, sorry.

the nose dosent dive, its only a 14 t dump trailer so no monster.

Load sensing braking will need to detect movement when weight is added ,as in with springs dropping in height with the weight added.I don't think this will happen with a bogie,only the tyres will drop but the distance between the rocker and the chassis will not change much.Therefore the rod that controls the load sensing will need to operate off the drawbar.I seem to remember that your drawbar is of the centre pivot type,but I may be thinking of the wrong trailer.Therefore positioning of the control rod would take a bit of consideration,to operate correctly.

Would an accumulator not cause a bit of a delay on the brakes?

Don't suppose you can use commercial slack adjusters to fine tune the setting...

i dont have air.
I have a new fail safe braking system for a oil system for sale & a load sensing system for a oil brake set if you are looking to go that way .

what is the exact problem? brakes too sharp on trailer? well fit larger diameter rams ,that bit of a second more it takes to pull them saves the shoes and better braking power and spares the tyre

Load sensing braking will need to detect movement when weight is added ,as in with springs dropping in height with the weight added.I don't think this will happen with a bogie,only the tyres will drop but the distance between the rocker and the chassis will not change much.Therefore the rod that controls the load sensing will need to operate off the drawbar.I seem to remember that your drawbar is of the centre pivot type,but I may be thinking of the wrong trailer.Therefore positioning of the control rod would take a bit of consideration,to operate correctly.
sorry, im with you now.
yep, good memory.
i was drawing with her today and was thinking what you are on about.
there would be enuf movement in it to allow for a load sensing valve.
this one to be precise, but i have no idea as to the cost of it.
hyd_lsv029.jpg

Would an accumulator not cause a bit of a delay on the brakes?

Don't suppose you can use commercial slack adjusters to fine tune the setting...
thats what i was kind of hoping for, or i imagined it that way at least.
just give you a bit of time if she was empty rather than jamming on the brakes.
ive found a crowd that dose an adjuster for the shaft i have, but i need to check to see if i have the correct amount of splines.

I have a new fail safe braking system for a oil system for sale & a load sensing system for a oil brake set if you are looking to go that way .
cheers, but id imagine its a tad more than id like to spend on her right now.

how much is the load sensor on its own if you dont mind me asking.
is it the same as the one in the pic above.

thats what i was kind of hoping for, or i imagined it that way at least.
just give you a bit of time if she was empty rather than jamming on the brakes.
ive found a crowd that dose an adjuster for the shaft i have, but i need to check to see if i have the correct amount of splines.
Yeah, dead on when it's empty.....but it's more the oh sh1t moments when it's full would worry me :sweatdrop::sweatdrop:.

Would put more wear on the tractor brakes too I'd have thought as they would be doing all the braking till the trailer kicked in :001_unsure:.

Yeah, dead on when it's empty.....but it's more the oh sh1t moments when it's full would worry me :sweatdrop::sweatdrop:.

Would put more wear on the tractor brakes too I'd have thought as they would be doing all the braking till the trailer kicked in :001_unsure:.

a bit more of a delay, but it wouldnt take long to fill a 0.75ltr accumulator.
just a feather of the pedal first when loaded and it would kick in not long after.

i have one here, and a bit of pipe, ill make up something to plug in just to see for the craic.

i worked with a plant company before and as fierce trouble with brakes on trailers and some old powerful tractors with no trailer brakes they had the brake pipe hooked onto a tipping spool valve not ideal but worked if used right and saved tractor brakes, only thing if u used it and trailer empty it would lock the wheels and flat spot the tyres:D

i worked with a plant company before and as fierce trouble with brakes on trailers and some old powerful tractors with no trailer brakes they had the brake pipe hooked onto a tipping spool valve not ideal but worked if used right and saved tractor brakes, only thing if u used it and trailer empty it would lock the wheels and flat spot the tyres:D

now, i know i dont have air brakes, but ive come a long way from that tho.

Hijacking the thread a bit here but has anyone got a logical explanations as to how a trailer can go out on hire with good brakes and come back with the rams stopping quarter of an inch short of the brakes being applied? Other than someone has been swapping shoes around?

Hijacking the thread a bit here but has anyone got a logical explanations as to how a trailer can go out on hire with good brakes and come back with the rams stopping quarter of an inch short of the brakes being applied? Other than someone has been swapping shoes around?
adjusted badly:001_unsure:

if they swapped the shoes, id imagine there is evidence of it.
it id be a mean act.

was it your own trailer?

how do you know its a quarter an inch short, or had you the stilson on it.

if they swapped the shoes, id imagine there is evidence of it.
it id be a mean act.

was it your own trailer?

how do you know its a quarter an inch short, or had you the stilson on it.

Yeah it's my trailer, cant see evidence of shoes being taken out, and have had stilsons on it and all 4 wheels rams stopped short of the drums. will be seeing the lad that was using it tomorrow so will see what he has to say

Yeah it's my trailer, cant see evidence of shoes being taken out, and have had stilsons on it and all 4 wheels rams stopped short of the drums. will be seeing the lad that was using it tomorrow so will see what he has to say

like hc says, would he of left the handbrake on?
its easy done, whipped a set of the low loader once.:blushing:

handbrake cable landed in the skip about a year ago so thats unlikely.

would he of had hyd brakes on the tractor he was using it on, or did he have a convertor fitting from the tractor spools.:whistling:

was he drawing on wild steep ground.

Back