At the mart...

nashmach

As we have a good spread of members on here, I thought this might be a useful thread for those who are buying and selling and any trends etc.

I'll also sticky it as it is one which is current all the time.

FR's tough trade at the moment - well fleshed 22 month old steers, €1.60 a kg.

Lots of FR bulls on the market at the moment and finding it hard to get purchasers - moving at €1.30 or so most I have seen would be O= at best.

Quality animals scarce at present - saw yearlings around 250-300kgs and they all made over €680 :scared:

Auld man was in carmaross today culls making 55c / kg lw to 105 c kg

Depressing stuffs many unsold

Sold a heifer last week coming on 3yr old a fr that slipped a calf a while back she weighed 520kg and sold for €720

they do here but unless your standing by the auctioneer then you cant read the scales
so all your prices mean nothing to me:001_huh:

That is why prices per kg are mentioned....

Nothing worse than someone saying the price was 200 over their weight.:rolleyes:

Didn't hit any marts yet this year but I need more cattle so they'll have to be bought. Might hit Roscrea this Sat so I'll know a bit more then.

Auld man was in carmaross today culls making 55c / kg lw to 105 c kg

Depressing stuffs many unsold
i have two boners to go here, but i dont know should i get out now, or let them lie on for a couple of months, they are geting a handfull of nuts every day just to keep em happy.
they are two old cows, not suitable for fattening, and at a rough guess, they would be about 500kg's each.
what would re recommend?

Get shot of them no point in throwing money at them spend it on your young lady when you take her on holiday

i have two boners to go here, but i dont know should i get out now, or let them lie on for a couple of months, they are geting a handfull of nuts every day just to keep em happy.
they are two old cows, not suitable for fattening, and at a rough guess, they would be about 500kg's each.
what would re recommend?

I suppose if they were mine I would let them off on grass for the summer with a shake of meal and let them get as good as they can. If ya kill em or sell em now I don't think you'll be to happy.

what would re recommend?

Mart them, some lads seem to be obsessed with fattening cows.

Don't expect big bucks though unless they are good square Continentals.

I had a whore of time getting the bull loaded onto the trailer before xmas to bring him to the factory, eventually got him to follow a skin and bones cullcow into the trailer, so I slammed the door shut and brought on the both of them. Got 180quid for her.....so don't do this!

id say you would be a long time throwing meal at these two ladies before you would see a return.
if i mart them, i have to blood them, id say if i do anything, its either up on the lorry now, or wait for a few months.
which is better i dont know.

id say you would be a long time throwing meal at these two ladies before you would see a return.
if i mart them, i have to blood them, id say if i do anything, its either up on the lorry now, or wait for a few months.
which is better i dont know.

i wouldnt spend on them but maybe spring grass will help

I've seen a few fair old bags of bones over the years tinny and unless their awful yokes altogether they should put on some condition on grass.

before ye get carried away, to grass here would be the end of may.
so id be looking at them in the shed until then at least.

I've afew empties at the minute, only knocking out 8/10litres by now, however as I'm under quota the plan is to milk on until march 31st. They do get 4kg of nuts in the parlour, and make up the rest on good quality 76dmd silage (which is rapidly running out!). Where should I draw the line with them? If they milk 8l until march 31st I'll get about 200quid in milk out of them, so I can't see the point in culling now, but if they drop back much more it probably wont make sense to milk on. And I'm very tight on grazing land this year, so once they are out of the parlour they really do need to be gone out the gate.

Brought nice br friesian bullocks to the mart today.. Terrible money for them, doing 1.58 a kilo.

so far so quite, and very little interest from feeders, hope to see decent numbers this week as I need to restock

what would re recommend?

What breed are they? how old? what are they like on the feet? would they work on slats for the winter? Would you take €1/kg for them at home?

I've afew empties at the minute, only knocking out 8/10litres by now, however as I'm under quota the plan is to milk on until march 31st. They do get 4kg of nuts in the parlour, and make up the rest on good quality 76dmd silage (which is rapidly running out!). Where should I draw the line with them? If they milk 8l until march 31st I'll get about 200quid in milk out of them, so I can't see the point in culling now, but if they drop back much more it probably wont make sense to milk on. And I'm very tight on grazing land this year, so once they are out of the parlour they really do need to be gone out the gate.

i sent 3 last week 2 had been fed and dry for a while other was straight out of parlour, the one out of parlour did better, so i am totally confused now:confused: if your silage is running out i would get rid of them what sort of condition are they in? if they are going to mart you have to blood-another expense-

What breed are they? how old? what are they like on the feet? would they work on slats for the winter? Would you take €1/kg for them at home?
a ch and a sh, i have them on straw at the moment.
no, id say they would go down on the slats.
if i got close to the big note id be happy tbh.

Back