Chainsaw thread who got what?

Stock

I'm a husky fan have a 455 Rancher, and a 365.

The 365 is a little sick at the moment but more on that later.

stihl MS250 and a MS390 here.
and all the gear to go with them.

ooh, and an old danarm too.

never got on with huskies, have one here a 61 i think, grand saw but too bif for most of our fencing work. mostly use the 021s, 023, 171s, and for big stuff a 054 with 3ft guide bar-bloody heavy thing. couple of strimmer saws which i wouldnt like to be with out now. all used for facing hedges when fencing.

Main saw is a jonserad and have a small partner handy for the light stuff also have a electric black and deckee handy for cutting fire wood in the garage

Stihl ms391 with 20" bar. Lovely saw, replaced an older one that had become a pig to start.

Have a small partner aswell but doesn't get a lot of use as it needs a chain and we haven't bothered because you'd pick the Stihl every time anyways

Have a husky 365 I think. Shes about 10-12 year old and has the world of timber cut. Have a 22inch bar on her. Only ever had huskies so csnt compare. Very happy with it overall.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have a husky 460 rancher, I think it's a nice balance of size and weight, altho on the flipside maybe it's a jack of all trades but master of none. Always Starts on the third pull unless it's really cold/damp, then it might need a fourth.

my only real complaint would be that it lacks balls a bit.

Auld lad has a 62cc efco. no shortage of balls, but can be a bit difficult to start and is a bit heavy.

Trying to persuade him to replace it with one of these: http://stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/C...operty-maintenance/21870-110/MS-251-C-BE.aspx

Husky 66 I think it is. It's older then me and works perfectly. I saw one the same at an auction last year and I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

Stihl MS171 for the handy stuff
Efco ??? with a 16 inch bar
Husky 66 for the big stuff

Bought the Husky 66 for e200 from a friend that took it as a trade in with a new spare bar and chain, getting some thing big enough for it is the problem. The Stihls seem to have a knack to starting them, the Efco has done some going most of it cutting out hedge bottoms got lots of hardship and no probs with it

Husky 61, handy little saw
Stihl MS 290
Stihl MS 390, powerful saw, have a 30" bar on it at times :D
Stihl TS 400 con saw.
Husky starts on first pull, the stihls don't, can be a bit of a workout starting them and they do need their filters cleaned more often, other than that I'd pick the Stihl any day.

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

Well as I said earlier the 365 is crook, wouldn't start and was blowing up the carb.
I only bought this saw recently in its current state, so popped of the exhaust and saw the damaged piston.
Spent the last couple of days looking for bits as the main Jonsred dealer wants €300 for the piston and barrel and another €150 to fit it.

Well this morning I rang this crowd
www.eurosmallenginespares.com
and spoke to John, an extremely helpful individual.
I bought a nilskil barrel and piston for €90 so we will see in a couple of days how thing work out.

Stihl 039 here. Bought in 1998. Can't fault it. Something lighter would be nice at times, but I haven't really enough work to justify a second saw.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Well as I said earlier the 365 is crook, wouldn't start and was blowing up the carb.
I only bought this saw recently in its current state, so popped of the exhaust and saw the damaged piston.
Spent the last couple of days looking for bits as the main Jonsred dealer wants €300 for the piston and barrel and another €150 to fit it.

Well this morning I rang this crowd
www.eurosmallenginespares.com
and spoke to John, an extremely helpful individual.
I bought a nilskil barrel and piston for €90 so we will see in a couple of days how thing work out.

Fook them prices are fair reasonable!

Stihl 170 here for light bits and a Stihl 391 (I think) for heavier work.
Gave €650 for the big saw last year.

find the stihl stuff great.

Stihl 170 here for light bits and a Stihl 391 (I think) for heavier work.
Gave €650 for the big saw last year.

find the stihl stuff great.
the wee 170's are wild handy for light work, or branching.
did you put the auto sharpener chain and blade on it yet.
Stihl MS 290
Stihl TS 400 con saw.
Husky starts on first pull, the stihls don't, can be a bit of a workout starting them and they do need their filters cleaned more often, other than that I'd pick the Stihl any day.

whats she like with a 30" bar?, plenty of power, or just the limit of it.
i have the same one here with a 20 something inch bar, but she is a fairly powerful saw alright.

the wee 170's are wild handy for light work, or branching.
did you put the auto sharpener chain and blade on it yet.

No haven't seen one of them. Are they a good job?

Probably use the small saw twice as much as the big saw, actually the reason i bought the big one was that the 170 was so reliable we were dogging it cutting all sorts.

The wind we're having today I'll probably have them both going this evening. A few boughs have become casualties already this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Lane blocked may break out the efco and Jcb. And no electric to make it better time to fit a change over switch to allow me plug in the genny

This ain't a cock measuring contest now lads so go easy with the bar length,
But now that your asking I've a brute of a yoke hanging out of the sthil here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

at the moment the only saw i have running is a mcculloch pro mac 700, think its 1970's with 20" bar, 70cc. the noise is something else can hear it for miles on a calm day and it was the saw of choice in one of the texas chainsaw massacre films:D.

beast!

like this-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkgPOde0yFs"]Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 - YouTube[/ame]

No haven't seen one of them. Are they a good job?

Probably use the small saw twice as much as the big saw, actually the reason i bought the big one was that the 170 was so reliable we were dogging it cutting all sorts.

The wind we're having today I'll probably have them both going this evening. A few boughs have become casualties already this year
i dont know what type of chain is in this 250 here, but its about as soft as butter id say, if it even sees clay, it goes blunt.
but id imagine it wasnt too dear a chain the first day.
i have a Oregon blue in the ms290, its a good chain.
the oregon quick sharp thingy is a good idea, but they dont do one to fit the 250 so i cant say for sure.
iirc, someone on here has one tho.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJzmR39jMPE"]PowerSharp Chain Sharpener from Oregon - YouTube[/ame]

at the moment the only saw i have running is a mcculloch pro mac 700, think its 1970's with 20" bar, 70cc. the noise is something else can hear it for miles on a calm day and it was the saw of choice in one of the texas chainsaw massacre films:D.

beast!

like this-

Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 - YouTube
that one looks like its all bark and no bite .....:lol:

wouldnt think McCullough make em like they used to, good old saw that.

Stihl MS 290
Stihl TS 400 con saw.

we find the opposit, stihl on third pull when cold, first when warm. husky is a brute no matter when try. husky has had new barrel and piston too lately, 023 is on third, 021 has had a at least one each too. the 171 are young yet at just three years old, wouldnt lift them only when the 023 or 021s are blumt, useless wee saw for power.

how do find the ts 400, we find they arent a patch on the old stihls con saw, old one always lifted here first too, but the big 16" husky is a beast and easy to start to, sore on fuel though so only used on concret cutting

that one looks like its all bark and no bite .....:lol:

wouldnt think McCullough make em like they used to, good old saw that.

your right that one cuts rubbish, put a new chain on mine a few months back and it was brilliant........... until i hit a stone embedded in the tree:angry:

was reading up on them a while back and they have a bit of a following out in the states. good ones are quite sought after.

how do find the ts 400, we find they arent a patch on the old stihls con saw, old one always lifted here first too, but the big 16" husky is a beast and easy to start to, sore on fuel though so only used on concret cutting
im on my third ts400 here, had the older 350 before that.
i cant rem now if the 350 was hard to start or not tbh.
but i know if you miss the 400 the first time,
it gets like an exercise bike after that.

normally, and i think everyone dose it, its a case of,
choke on, pull til she fires but dosent run, choke to mid position, pull again, she would normally go, but you could go another few pulls after, but any more than three or so and she isnt starting, id do leave her for a bit.
to be fair to it, it isnt too hard to start 90% of the time.
was tempted to buy the hilti one, but it was a bear of a saw tbh.
they were doing a deal a while back, if you bought 10 diamond blades you got a saw for free.

your right that one cuts rubbish, put a new chain on mine a few months back and it was brilliant........... until i hit a stone embedded in the tree:angry:

was reading up on them a while back and they have a bit of a following out in the states. good ones are quite sought after.
there is a putt off it similar to the danarm here.
but i havnt had that going for over 25 yrs.
big luder of a saw.

there is a serious amount of chains out there as well to fit saws, it id take a tree surgeon to tell us what would be the best of them id say.

Back