Cork’s Pics

C

Cork

We sowed a few plots of spring beans this morning.

3 varieties; Boxer, Fanfare & Fuego.

Alex Jeffery put them in with his Sumo DTS. I had already ploughed the ground so the Magnum wasn't labouring!

I ring rolled them this evening. I plan to let the rain on Thursday pass before spraying with herbicide. If it goes on to damp soil it should do a super job without the risk of being washed down around the seed.

Attachments

• Sumo 1.jpg
    Sumo 1.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Sumo 2.jpg
    Sumo 2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Sumo 3.jpg
    Sumo 3.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Sumo 4.jpg
    Sumo 4.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 242

Alex Jeffery put them in with his Sumo DTS. I had already ploughed the ground so the Magnum wasn't labouring!

I ring rolled them this evening. I plan to let the rain on Thursday pass before spraying with herbicide. If it goes on to damp soil it should do a super job without the risk of being washed down around the seed.

Tis rare ya see a lady that big with a loader hanging off it over here! Some lump of a weight block on her to when ya think how far out it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Magnum & Sumo. I should have nipped by yesterday when I was in the area, you never know what I might have seen, although I was a man on a mission at the time.

Jesus h I've never seen a tractor that big with a loader on it shed lift some weight

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

He handles a lot of human sludge from cork city, that's why he has the loader.

That drill needs plenty of horsepower when sowing in unploughed land.

Looks good Cork. Is this a farm trial for yourself or a goldcrop trial? Did he dd much w wheat straight into stubbles with the sumo?

Looks good Cork. Is this a farm trial for yourself or a goldcrop trial? Did he dd much w wheat straight into stubbles with the sumo?

Its for Goldcrop KJL, just a demo trial not replicated. Soil is quite uniform though.

I don't know if he did any wheat but did sow winter barley and winter oilseed rape.
Will be doing spring barley.

Did he go straight into stubbles for the w barley? Good bit done around here with claydons straight into stubble.

Did he go straight into stubbles for the w barley? Good bit done around here with claydons straight into stubble.

Yes, has been dd'ing with a number of years. Had a claydon but moved to Sumo for better seed depth control and contour following. Looks quite well made.

Would be interested to see some pics of establishment if you ever come across them. Some claydon stuff is super, some is fine and some is dreadful.

Would be interested to see some pics of establishment if you ever come across them. Some claydon stuff is super, some is fine and some is dreadful.

I've been walking his crops since the start, a lot has been learnt. Yep, ill pop up some pics the next time I'm there.

There are pros and cons just like everything in farming.

Got a few pics of my brother ploughing and pressing in Ballycotton last Friday.

Also managed to upload my first ever video to Youtube, taken with a phone so the resolution isn't great on a big screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTz7-QMGJss

Also managed to upload my first ever video to Youtube, taken with a phone so the resolution isn't great on a big screen.

Some pics of where we were sowing oat and wheat variety trial plots on Friday. They have been well watered in at this stage! No GPS, just an old fashioned tape and poles.

[MENTION=1411]nashmach[/MENTION] hope you like seeing another Ford 3600 still earning her keep. Wheels are permanently out to their widest to straddle the 2m wide trial plots. 5700 hours on her. Bought new from Abernethys, Castlematyr, 1976.

Attachments

• Plough & Press 2.jpg
    Plough & Press 2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Plough & Press.jpg
    Plough & Press.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Soil 1.jpg
    Soil 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Soil 3.JPG
    Soil 3.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Soil.JPG
    Soil.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Trials planting front 1.JPG
    Trials planting front 1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 141
  • Trials planting front.JPG
    Trials planting front.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Trials planting rear 2.JPG
    Trials planting rear 2.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
The last two pics

Attachments

• Trials planting rear 3.JPG
    Trials planting rear 3.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Trials planting rear.JPG
    Trials planting rear.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 105
Very nice 3600 there Cork :cool:

She looks some weapon on that width!

Unusual to see one with a canvas cab. Your late father must have had great patience to spray and spread fertiliser with her with that draughty cab!

Very nice 3600 there Cork :cool:

She looks some weapon on that width!

Unusual to see one with a canvas cab. Your late father must have had great patience to spray and spread fertiliser with her with that draughty cab!

Patient he was indeed. We actually still have the doors for the cab too. Luckily enough we came across a brand new original canvas some years ago so there isn't a mark on it. Its ideal for the plots, very light on its feet. Her original owner treated her like a pet, it came to us with a farm that my late father bought. Still have the original user manual and sales brochure.

any closer pics of the drill?

I assume it's some sort of high precision piece of kit for the test plots?

any closer pics of the drill?

I assume it's some sort of high precision piece of kit for the test plots?

Sorry John, I don't have any to hand. I can take some when I am beside it tomorrow.

It is a Wintersteiger plot drill. They are designed to plant a pre-weighed amount of seed perfectly evenly over a pre-set distance.

Basically, the pre-weighed amount of seed falls onto a disc. The disc does exactly one rotation over the desired distance, therefore releasing the seed evenly across the distance. It sows a plot of 1.93m in width. We sow plots which are 12m long (2 plots fit between each 24m tramline).

There are 12 seed coulters and an electrical spinning distributor to ensure the seed is evenly distributed down each coulter.

I think it cost £15,000 Irish pounds back in the 90's.

It has electrical self levelling to ensure that the seed falls evenly around the disc. One person (me) drives the tractor while a second person sits on the drill and releases the seeds at the desired time.

It is self cleaning so sowing is a non-stop process, just stopping every 30 mins to reload with fresh packs of seed.

Back