Front and rear mower combinations.

ithastopay

What are lads using? which make of mower is best for front?
Anybody running a rear mounted along with a front mounted? any downsides to a rear mounted mower?

We run a front mounted Jd, last year I had a trailed rear mower and changed to a mounted this year, theres good and bad points about both but on balance I prefer the mounted, easier on corners and headlands. The way the JD folds could be a problem for some though as its a fair length of an outfit

I think the rear mounted would be a safer on the roads too and easier to get in and out of tight places, i don't like the mowers that fold back behind, the class folds over and seems to be well balanced for transport. [MENTION=1682]fraserb[/MENTION] whats the bad points on the rear mounted? [MENTION=2659]tm 150[/MENTION], how do you like the class mowers? have you had other makes to compare against them?

I've got a Claas 3100c rear mower and consider it a good piece of kit, like the way it folds up over centre. The new Claas front mower has the cutterbar adjustable independent of the frame so it can be nosed down without affecting the lift out height. Presume you are after conditioner mowers.

I think the rear mounted would be a safer on the roads too and easier to get in and out of tight places, i don't like the mowers that fold back behind, the class folds over and seems to be well balanced for transport. [MENTION=1682]fraserb[/MENTION] whats the bad points on the rear mounted? [MENTION=2659]tm 150[/MENTION], how do you like the class mowers? have you had other makes to compare against them?

Folded out makes them some pain alright, we carry the potty that way as dont particularly like the height of it when folded up and no matter what it still hangs all the weight out to the right, takes a fair bit if watching when folded back on the road on left hand corners as its out across the white line with the gentlest of bends

I've got a Claas 3100c rear mower and consider it a good piece of kit, like the way it folds up over centre. The new Claas front mower has the cutterbar adjustable independent of the frame so it can be nosed down without affecting the lift out height. Presume you are after conditioner mowers.

Most likely go for conditioners, how do you find the rear for lifting over mowed swards on the headlands, does it lift clear, or will it catch and drag grass?
Don't see many class front mowers, often see class butterflies paired with a different make of front mower, i don't know much about them but from this observation i thought they might not be the best front mower?
I like the look of the krone, good strong bed and a great safety feature on the disc.
Do you run the class with a front or on its own?

Most likely go for conditioners, how do you find the rear for lifting over mowed swards on the headlands, does it lift clear, or will it catch and drag grass?
Don't see many class front mowers, often see class butterflies paired with a different make of front mower, i don't know much about them but from this observation i thought they might not be the best front mower?
I like the look of the krone, good strong bed and a great safety feature on the disc.

No problem clearing over cut grass even when the row is left tight so standing taller, have just a rear but would pair it with a Claas front if going down that route, next choice would be a pottinger front.

Theres nothing major with the mounted one but with the trailed mower if you were going round a gentle curve on the headland you could pull it in so it didnt miss with the mounted you cant, I dont think the mounted is quite as good at following the ground as the trailed or front one is.
Obviously the mounted is easier in corners as wherever you go its coming with you.
Despite the mounted being 3.1m over the 3m trailed im running the autotrac 100mm narrower than with the trailed, reason for this is with the trailed you could steer it so it was always taking a full cut but with the mounted you need a bit of overlap for slopes or corners, it probably wouldnt be an issue without autotrac though.

Despite the length of it folded if you plan ahead you can get into some tight gates by folding the mower as you drive in, not ideal though.

We switched from trailed to mounted thisyear , bought a pottinger 10ft , it is a lot easier to get in and out of places , also quicker at turning on the headlands , also 6k cheaper than the trailled and no more punctures . the reason we went for the pottinger is that we will also go for a front mower and the pottinger is the best front mower to follow the ground , there is no point in having 2 differant brand of mowers as you would need differant blades . All in all we much prefer the mounted to the trailled.

We switched from trailed to mounted thisyear , bought a pottinger 10ft , it is a lot easier to get in and out of places , also quicker at turning on the headlands , also 6k cheaper than the trailled and no more punctures . the reason we went for the pottinger is that we will also go for a front mower and the pottinger is the best front mower to follow the ground , there is no point in having 2 differant brand of mowers as you would need differant blades . All in all we much prefer the mounted to the trailled.

never understand why some run from different makes for front and back !

[MENTION=1682]fraserb[/MENTION], would you be missing bits on any little curve or would it have to be more of a bend than a curve?
On running a different mower front and rear, i wouldn't have a problem with that, tool box on each machine for blades, it might not look the part, bit like having to have a mchale wrapper because you have a mchale baler? from what im reading here the pottinger is the best front mower, but perhaps there are better options for a rear single or butterfly?

Contractor once told me older claas front mowers didnt have full width conditioners so in heavy crops grass would wrap around conditioner and burn off belts and thats why claas butterflies often were paired with front mowers of a different make. Plus kv jd and krone all have front mowers slightly wider than 3m so less grass missed at corners

[MENTION=1682]fraserb[/MENTION], would you be missing bits on any little curve or would it have to be more of a bend than a curve?
On running a different mower front and rear, i wouldn't have a problem with that, tool box on each machine for blades, it might not look the part, bit like having to have a mchale wrapper because you have a mchale baler? from what im reading here the pottinger is the best front mower, but perhaps there are better options for a rear single or butterfly?

It needs to be a decent curve right enough, If this works in the pic below I can just get round the corners at the wood in the centre of the picture.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.6949392,-2.3643997,948m/data=!3m1!1e3

We demoed a pottinger before buying the JD, it was a bloody good mower, the only things that put us off were the parts are pretty steep and also when ordering you need to spec what way youre front pto spins where as the deere you can spin the box on the mower, ours will probably never be changed but I know that a local outfit with an MF there front pto spins the opposite way from our deere and also a contractor had a JD with front pto and when they changed the tractor the new one turned up and spun the opposite way, lucklily he had a JD mower.

I was talking to the man who mowed dublin airport and he was saying that the pottinger front mower was the only mower that survived in there with all the manholes they hit , they wrote off a kuhn front mower in there.

Sullivan in streete has a claas front and rear mounted class [MENTION=3048]ithastopay[/MENTION] , it was his rear mounted at grass and muck with the keltec augar swarter.
likes it, as said,its handier, and tidier

It needs to be a decent curve right enough, If this works in the pic below I can just get round the corners at the wood in the centre of the picture.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.6949392,-2.3643997,948m/data=!3m1!1e3

We demoed a pottinger before buying the JD, it was a bloody good mower, the only things that put us off were the parts are pretty steep and also when ordering you need to spec what way youre front pto spins where as the deere you can spin the box on the mower, ours will probably never be changed but I know that a local outfit with an MF there front pto spins the opposite way from our deere and also a contractor had a JD with front pto and when they changed the tractor the new one turned up and spun the opposite way, lucklily he had a JD mower.

Can agree there although cant really compare at same time as we haven't ran any other make, but i know the stone gards are north of €100 a piece.... :eek: :eek:

never understand why some run from different makes for front and back !

Often left the yard at Harry Wilson 's with a combination of claas and Krone mowers was no problem as both used the same blades

Back