Front and rear mower combinations.

Interesting idea!

Sorry didnt mean to de rail thread! :d now back on topic :D
I do find the mounted handy in awkward corners compared to trailed i drove, with mounted you just lift and shunt whereas the trailed you do have to be thinking about where the nose is swinging around and be even more so with a front mower to,

If running just a back mounted mower, is it possible to round the corners on the headlands? for a following trailed harvester is picking 10ft swards?

If running just a back mounted mower, is it possible to round the corners on the headlands? for a following trailed harvester is picking 10ft swards?

I find after the 2nd round into the field(3rd stroke including the back stroke) it starts to struggle a little. I tend to lift and shunt as its either being raked to 30's for spfh or else being ted with us. If you were willing to leave more sweeping corners you would get away handier but i like to leave as little as possible

There has been a big shift towards mounted rear mowers lately I would not be a fan to be honest, they have their advantages but they are outweighed by the disadvantages if you ask me, butterflys are the real job but if given the choice of one rear mower it would be a trailed and Taarup being my brand of choice, easier hook up the trailed, option of grouping, follow the ground nicer and easier to pull on the tractor, friend of mine changed to mounted this year did my best to convince him otherwise overall he says he is happy but said its actually harder to drive than his previous set and the cut is not as good although they are different brands, I have used Taarup 4032+JD228, JD 530+228 and 1365+131 and a Lely Splendimo triples, Taarup was the best trailed its grouper is non comparable to the JD, would not rate the JD 530, 1365 is a good mower but lacks 1000rpm, 228 was an indestructable mower, 131 seems a good mower and the Lelys were surprisingly good

There has been a big shift towards mounted rear mowers lately I would not be a fan to be honest, they have their advantages but they are outweighed by the disadvantages if you ask me, butterflys are the real job but if given the choice of one rear mower it would be a trailed and Taarup being my brand of choice, easier hook up the trailed, option of grouping, follow the ground nicer and easier to pull on the tractor, friend of mine changed to mounted this year did my best to convince him otherwise overall he says he is happy but said its actually harder to drive than his previous set and the cut is not as good although they are different brands, I have used Taarup 4032+JD228, JD 530+228 and 1365+131 and a Lely Splendimo triples, Taarup was the best trailed its grouper is non comparable to the JD, would not rate the JD 530, 1365 is a good mower but lacks 1000rpm, 228 was an indestructable mower, 131 seems a good mower and the Lelys were surprisingly good

I know where you are coming from, front and rear trailed here now, we have had a butterfly on demo, its the way to go if doing enough work, however during harvest we might not have a tractor available to drive triples, there would always be something fit to drive a rear mower, either mounted or trailed, no grouping here so thats not a factor, the main reason we would consider going away from a trailed is safety on the road, ive never had so many close ones as this year, when cornering with a front mounted even on a reasonable sized road the back tends to run very wide, a front mounted and rear mounted should be a bit tidier on the road, with the over centre fold up, not the ones that look like they are about to fall out on the road.

I know where you are coming from, front and rear trailed here now, we have had a butterfly on demo, its the way to go if doing enough work, however during harvest we might not have a tractor available to drive triples, there would always be something fit to drive a rear mower, either mounted or trailed, no grouping here so thats not a factor, the main reason we would consider going away from a trailed is safety on the road, ive never had so many close ones as this year, when cornering with a front mounted even on a reasonable sized road the back tends to run very wide, a front mounted and rear mounted should be a bit tidier on the road, with the over centre fold up, not the ones that look like they are about to fall out on the road.

During cereal harvest would it not be mainly lighter second cuts you would be doing so could possibly get away with a slightly smaller tractor on triples?

It would only be odd small bits for baling mostly, how small are we talking for driving triples and being well able to carry them, assuming with conditioners, how much less power would be required without conditioners?

It would only be odd small bits for baling mostly, how small are we talking for driving triples and being well able to carry them, assuming with conditioners, how much less power would be required without conditioners?
Without conditioners you could go down to 130 ish if needed. With you'd want 170+ id say

Triples would be a very balanced outfit, lifting a single rear mounted with conditioner takes all the weight off the left rear wheel, 4wd is a must if you are shunting at corners, also puts a fair old strain on linkage/crossshaft etc.

Triples would be a very balanced outfit, lifting a single rear mounted with conditioner takes all the weight off the left rear wheel, 4wd is a must if you are shunting at corners, also puts a fair old strain on linkage/crossshaft etc.

Does your new mower fold up over centre, 115d I think? Meant to be better balanced on the road too. Triples would be great, but hard to justify for our acres.

Does your new mower fold up over centre, 115d I think? Meant to be better balanced on the road too. Triples would be great, but hard to justify for our acres.

Folds as you say, sticks out a small bit at the bottom right which needs to be watched but otherwise grand in transport if you are careful overhead, would be up in the air a fair bit, lad near me has a 3500C with an extra disc so even higher.

Run both mounted & trailed along with a front here, both have their pros & cons.

Depends really what you want to do with them...as in what follows next, I kinda have to cover all angles & if it's swaths the trailed goes, spreading the mounted goes....1 is as easy hooked on as the other.

Mounted: pros, easier got about, on the road it's a dream, easier got into places, no sliding on hills.
Cons, wouldn't be good on corners, wouldn't follow the ground as well, not as much control as to where the far side is when doing the back swath (no ram to steer with), can't see what's about to go into it the same as it's beside you rather than behind.

Trailed: pros all the mounted cons, plus grouper option.
Cons, hill sliding, getting about....can be got in most places but front & rear plus grouper is about 45' long.

Running a Kuhn front & it's a good enough mower, plan was to change it to a Deere as I prefer steel tines, since getting the Pottinger rear was kinda thinking of going for a Pottinger front as well....not too sure at the mo...Kuhn/Deere I can change fron swating to full width spreading in 2 mins, not sure if I could with the Pottinger, don't have a lot of room to work with at the back of a front mower as the tractor gets in the way, will have to have another look...

Run both mounted & trailed along with a front here, both have their pros & cons.

Depends really what you want to do with them...as in what follows next, I kinda have to cover all angles & if it's swaths the trailed goes, spreading the mounted goes....1 is as easy hooked on as the other.

Mounted: pros, easier got about, on the road it's a dream, easier got into places, no sliding on hills.
Cons, wouldn't be good on corners, wouldn't follow the ground as well, not as much control as to where the far side is when doing the back swath (no ram to steer with), can't see what's about to go into it the same as it's beside you rather than behind.

Trailed: pros all the mounted cons, plus grouper option.
Cons, hill sliding, getting about....can be got in most places but front & rear plus grouper is about 45' long.

Running a Kuhn front & it's a good enough mower, plan was to change it to a Deere as I prefer steel tines, since getting the Pottinger rear was kinda thinking of going for a Pottinger front as well....not too sure at the mo...Kuhn/Deere I can change fron swating to full width spreading in 2 mins, not sure if I could with the Pottinger, don't have a lot of room to work with at the back of a front mower as the tractor gets in the way, will have to have another look...

Thats a good summary but you left out 2 other points that make a differance , one is the price differance of 6/7 k and the other thing I like about the mounted mower is no more punctures , 1 thing that I wonder about is which mower will last the longest and which mower will have the more depreciation . If the mounted last as long as the trailled then it will be the cheaper more to own .

Thats a good summary but you left out 2 other points that make a differance , one is the price differance of 6/7 k and the other thing I like about the mounted mower is no more punctures , 1 thing that I wonder about is which mower will last the longest and which mower will have the more depreciation . If the mounted last as long as the trailled then it will be the cheaper more to own .

What about wear and tear on cross shaft of tractor? And unstability when turning on hills

Dope the tyres ends the punctures, unless you hit a kerb hard.

Would say the mounted will depreciate more, mine being single skinned is showing a few dents already.

What about wear and tear on cross shaft of tractor? And unstability when turning on hills
Linkage doesn't move tho....have popped a wheel a few times, just a bit of thought needed & me a lifelong trailed user...tho saying that I used to heel the 1355 over now & again, as in left wheel up & rhs of bed into the ground....wee pig was top heavy with the belt up.

Would say the mounted will depreciate more, mine being single skinned is showing a few dents already.

Linkage doesn't move tho....have popped a wheel a few times, just a bit of thought needed & me a lifelong trailed user...tho saying that I used to heel the 1355 over now & again, as in left wheel up & rhs of bed into the ground....wee pig was top heavy with the belt up.

but the trailled has 6k more to lose , say at 5yrs old will the trailled be worth 6k more. I know when they are both f.cked they are both worth f.ck all.

Surely when lifted just of ground mounted mower is putting weight down on right arm while trying to lift left arm and trying to twist cross shaft?

1355 with no grouper could tip on a left turn:blushing:
opened out and drawbar straight behind you could nearly tip it putting your weight on rhs guard

Price difference of 6/7k no need to worry about corners for harvester as that will buy a decent rake [emoji106]

On that point, what became of those krone (I think) double width trailed mowers? The end tow ones? Are they still made?

Would be far easier and safer on roads. And end tow would get it in most gaps a silage trailer would get into!

Plus the bonus of not needing front links and PTO.

I have a krone amt 5000,run it with a kuhn 331 on the front,great mower but shocking on the road,I want a T8 or a 6210 krone (its good to dream):001_smile:

does anyone on here run pottinger mowers out of interest ?
We run pottinger mowers ,mounted vack alpha motion front . Cant say we have much bother with them . The jd mower that we sometimes work long side cut tight but the we got ours set up were not far behind . Our back mower is handy , folds behind then up so good for gettong through gate but you can also fold down on the road for a low bridge without a lot of hassle . The newer ones are differant mind you . I did manage to gouge a hole in a bore hole this year with the front mower and only damaged blades . Thankef the farmer for that one [emoji34]uploadfromtaptalk1405284317085.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405284336348.jpg

Back