workshop press

tinman

Very Senior Member
i might as well stick this in a thread, as any info on making a home made one is scarce on the ground, or at least one up on 160 tonne is anyway.
ive moved a few posts from another thread i mentioned it on, so the first few mightnt add up, but its the handiest way i could keep the pics together.
------------
ive gathered all the bits i need to make a home made workshop press over the last year or more, Now, it wont be made overnight, but ive started on it at least.

i needed to cut a neat round hole in the base plate for the ram.
i have a few attachments for the gas head but looking for something to take the human error out of it this time.
so i made up this little fellow to fit into the plasma circle cutter.
i have it set up on a rotating table so im hoping that, if everything is set right, it should cut it clean.
so far so good anyways.

Attachments

• IMAG3931.jpg
    IMAG3931.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAG3932.jpg
    IMAG3932.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG3929.jpg
    IMAG3929.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 216
i have a few attachments for the gas head but looking for something to take the human error out of it this time.
i have it set up on a rotating table so im hoping that, if everything is set right, it should cut it clean.
so far so good anyways.

Dainty bit of plate:whistle:

so far so good anyways.

Did you machine down the bushing down from a piece of steel . Would the plasma not cut it for you .

if its the plate he brought the otherday i think it will be a steady job with the gas even:whistle: tidy work there tinman as always:thumbup:

Did you machine down the bushing down from a piece of steel . Would the plasma not cut it for you .
its a bit of 50mm plate.
the plasma id be at her lug on 30 for a clean cut tbh.

the oxy acetelene would have a neater cut if done right.

made the bush out of a bit of brass on the lathe.
keith fenner eat your heart out style....:lol:

i chopped this lads ears off too, just a bit wide for what i want it for.
a speedy job with my favourite tool,

NOT.

Attachments

• IMAG3926.jpg
    IMAG3926.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG3912.jpg
    IMAG3912.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG3913.jpg
    IMAG3913.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG3916.jpg
    IMAG3916.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG3924.jpg
    IMAG3924.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 169
if its the plate he brought the otherday i think it will be a steady job with the gas even:whistle: tidy work there tinman as always:thumbup:
cheers hi.

its 50mm, but the stuff i got the other day is 100mm.
it ill be interesting, altho the cut on this would need to be more precise.
the 100mm stuff has to get a few 60mm holes drilled in it, another challenge.
that ill come later tho.

its a bit of 50mm plate.
the plasma id be at her lug on 30 for a clean cut tbh.

the oxy acetelene would have a neater cut if done right.

made the bush out of a bit of brass on the lathe.
keith fenner eat your heart out style....:lol:

i chopped this lads ears off too, just a bit wide for what i want it for.
a speedy job with my favourite tool,

NOT.
Jesus h that's tasty cutting.

Jesus h that's tasty cutting.
cheers.

i got it cut anyways, pretty happy with the results.
and im within 2mm of where i wanted to be, close enough for a gas axe.

welded a threaded spud to the end of the cylinder as well.

Attachments

• IMAG3939.jpg
    IMAG3939.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMAG3947.jpg
    IMAG3947.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG3936.jpg
    IMAG3936.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 193
cheers.

That`s a tasty bit of cutting now . Was it the gas you used to cut the rest of the plate as well .

That's super cutting with a hand torch,regardless of guiding tools,everything has to be spot on to achieve that.

cheers.

Well, you can't get much better than that now can you, very tasty work there :thumbup:

It's coming together for you, it's nice to see a bit of progress I'd say.

That's super cutting with a hand torch,regardless of guiding tools,everything has to be spot on to achieve that.
thankyou.

as good as it is, its a degree off perfect too.
the pre heat tips were about 3mm too close to the steel, i should of copped it tbh, but once i started i didnt want to stop.
if you look at the pic, there is a cutback of about 1mm near the top 1", not the end of the world mind, as im going to be welding it to the ram anyways, but not 100% either.
good enough for a first time cut on 50m i suppose.

i drilled a 14mm hole rather than of pierced it.
oxy set at 55 psi, and acetylene set to 2 psi, both pressures set with valves open.
a 1/16 nozzle, and a new torch as i couldnt get the old one to seal at the head.
and an exact travel speed that equated to 110 seconds for the full circle.
all the above taken from a chart.

i have three straight cuts to do in a block of 400x100, cant use the rotating head for that one, so im not sure how to go about it to get as good a cut tbh.
if id of bought one of the many pugs ive seen over time at auctions id have a way of doing it, ill learn yet.

fixed is too simple i think.
now, im not sure how usefull having it moving would be either, what actually are the benifits?
only one i can come up with is it id be handy to be able to remove the unit if ever down the line i wanted to fit two similar rams.
but whats the chances of that, maybe if it was 8' wide, but its not going to be that.
if it slides, then its got to lock itself in place too, it id only be 3mm or so, but i dont think it id be wise to have it lifting itself up 3mm every time its used, so some kind of freeze system is needed there id say.

Well, you can't get much better than that now can you, very tasty work there :thumbup:

It's coming together for you, it's nice to see a bit of progress I'd say.
ie, between everything else in the day im getin a bit of time at it at least, it ill change if the weather takes up tho.
no wild rush, but i would like to see it made.

now, im not sure how usefull having it moving would be either, what actually are the benifits?
only one i can come up with is it id be handy to be able to remove the unit if ever down the line i wanted to fit two similar rams.
but whats the chances of that, maybe if it was 8' wide, but its not going to be that.
if it slides, then its got to lock itself in place too, it id only be 3mm or so, but i dont think it id be wise to have it lifting itself up 3mm every time its used, so some kind of freeze system is needed there id say.

ie, between everything else in the day im getin a bit of time at it at least, it ill change if the weather takes up tho.
I suppose in the narrower frame ones,being able to slide it from side to side makes it more useful for odd shaped objects,jeep hubs and the like,it wouldn't be an issue with a wide table.

Haha i had a sneaking suspicion thats what you were at when i saw it and that post confirmed it anyways! Tidy cutting anyways!

For your straight cut would you get away with clamping a straight edge on and then running the little brass bush you made along side it? Thinking the bush may make it easier to keep the torch at 90degrees rather than just trying to hold the torch head against an edge

For cutting long straights ive clamped or tacked a couple of bits of angle to the plate just wide enough apart for the cutting tip, then put a washer onto the cutting tip so you can rest it on the angle and pull it a long. Saw this idea somewhere years ago(profi I think)

For cutting long straights ive clamped or tacked a couple of bits of angle to the plate just wide enough apart for the cutting tip, then put a washer onto the cutting tip so you can rest it on the angle and pull it a long. Saw this idea somewhere years ago(profi I think)
not a bad idea in fairness.

altho, if i was doing it on a 100mm cut, id be inclined to stand the nagle up so the leg touching the plate would be 2" away from the heat.
times id use a lth of angle as a hand guide for a cut but when you would be done, it id be like a banana.

not a bad idea in fairness.

altho, if i was doing it on a 100mm cut, id be inclined to stand the nagle up so the leg touching the plate would be 2" away from the heat.
times id use a lth of angle as a hand guide for a cut but when you would be done, it id be like a banana.

Yeah standing it up would be better, never gotten anywhere near 100mm thick though.

remember aluminuim being used when i was training by a fussy man, better heat conductor mean less bending, cut was perfect straight so was alu rail think it was channel used and clamped to table.

a bit more done between everything else.

in order of the pictures.

i split the square plate to get the ram into it, not ideal, but i hadnt much else choice.

jigged it all up and squared everything as best as one could.

i made a set of rollers out of the two off cuts from the ram, so as i could throw it on its side with the rotator.

again, the rollers at play.

luckily enough, the hyd return was in a good place, its not parallel to the other one, but the cylinder had to go where it is because of the boss half ways up the cylinder, the pins on it have to be square to the press frame.

got the front welded up and mopped.

Attachments

• IMAG3955.jpg
    IMAG3955.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 165
  • IMAG3967.jpg
    IMAG3967.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 157
  • IMAG3971.jpg
    IMAG3971.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG3973.jpg
    IMAG3973.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG3977.jpg
    IMAG3977.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMAG3978.jpg
    IMAG3978.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG4005.jpg
    IMAG4005.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 153
Id say you were fairly warm by the time you'd gassed that and welded it back up anyways!

Id say you were fairly warm by the time you'd gassed that and welded it back up anyways!
its not too often id butt 50mm plate together.:D
mind you, i tried to keep the heat down as much as possible on it but there is a slight curve in it even so.
over the lth of it, its out about 1mm or so.
wont do it any harm.
when the rod goes back into it, and the rest of the hardware on it, it ill weigh a right bit alone.

its not too often id butt 50mm plate together.:D
mind you, i tried to keep the heat down as much as possible on it but there is a slight curve in it even so.
over the lth of it, its out about 1mm or so.
wont do it any harm.
when the rod goes back into it, and the rest of the hardware on it, it ill weigh a right bit alone.

That wasnt bad goin to get that littler a bend alright! I was sorta thinking the sheer size of the plate would act a fairly good heat sinc in itself to get rid of the heat from the weld!

Back