Buying a laptop

laoisfarmer

Old laptop is fecked and to fecking slow , need something for everyday use and small bits of video editing , don't want to spend a fortune and am not overly techy , any recommendations ?

Battery also fecked an rage port won't let it charge right , might see if I can get someone to have a look and go from there , have two friends coming home from the states at the weekend so was thinking of one of them bringing one home ( if there even cheaper out there )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battery also fecked an rage port won't let it charge right , might see if I can get someone to have a look and go from there , have two friends coming home from the states at the weekend so was thinking of one of them bringing one home ( if there even cheaper out there )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power supply will be different by the time u buy one u will save very little.
Id say I've bought 15-20 laptops of this crowd never a bother

If I was buying one this is the job video editing needs a lot of hp
http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Lenovo_...dows_8.1_Laptop_in_Black_59416301/version.asp

Old laptop is fecked and to fecking slow , need something for everyday use and small bits of video editing , don't want to spend a fortune and am not overly techy , any recommendations ?

Call into the computer shop on lower main street in Portlaoise,the lads in there are brilliant :yes:

Be grand for what you want [MENTION=1475]candor[/MENTION] mite be able to offer a second opinion as well.

That is fairly good for the money in fairness. The only thing about a 17" is it's not very portable but that mightn't bother laoisfarmer.

The lenovo are a good machine, at least the business grade machines are. I'm not a fan of acer tbh, they are grand, but there are better on the market tbh. Dell aren't bad for the money either, and their backup is very good.

What's the budget?

That is fairly good for the money in fairness. The only thing about a 17" is it's not very portable but that mightn't bother laoisfarmer.

The lenovo are a good machine, at least the business grade machines are. I'm not a fan of acer tbh, they are grand, but there are better on the market tbh. Dell aren't bad for the money either, and their backup is very good.

What's the budget?

17" definitely isn't the most portable... Both my laptops have been 17's but I went that size for using drawing packages for college, always found that anyone else's I used with a 15" you had to drag the yoke around the screen to see or else zoom out a lot. 17" has the advantage you generally get a full keyboard, as in has the number pad on the right hand side.

Dell must have improved a bit since my one so! They weren't particularly helpful with me..

What's the budget?

Size is not an issue , was hoping to get out between 4 to 500 , not sure if it's a big enough budget , doesn't have to much really internet browsing and maybe uploading and editing a few go pro videos .

17" definitely isn't the most portable... Both my laptops have been 17's but I went that size for using drawing packages for college, always found that anyone else's I used with a 15" you had to drag the yoke around the screen to see or else zoom out a lot. 17" has the advantage you generally get a full keyboard, as in has the number pad on the right hand side.

Dell must have improved a bit since my one so! They weren't particularly helpful with me..

True, the screen size does make a difference for cad in fairness.

In fairness I can't fault their support, so far anyway.

True, the screen size does make a difference for cad in fairness.

In fairness I can't fault their support, so far anyway.

It's a good while back since I had a dell in fairness, can't remember what it was but in the end I gave up on their "support" and managed to sort it.. More than likely much improved since!

It is years since I had issues with my laptop which I couldn't sort myself but I could not fault Dell at all with their support, even visited the house to fix a fairly big problem. I think the motherboard had blown that time.

if your buying try and get an ssd hard disk - think it was mentioned here before - it will be smaller in storage space but dramatically faster performance and great at giving bringing older machines a lease of life. Also if buying second hand wouldn't be worried about getting windows 8 if its there fine but - windows 7 is fine and it looks like MS will replace windows 8 fairly shortly with a new version known as just windows!

Found a deal, does it look any good? Lenovo G505s, it features, AMD Quad-Core A10-5757M Accelerated Processor 2.5GHz (up to 3.5GHz),6 GB DDR3 RAM, 750 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, AMD Radeon HD 8650G Graphics

if your buying try and get an ssd hard disk - think it was mentioned here before - it will be smaller in storage space but dramatically faster performance and great at giving bringing older machines a lease of life. Also if buying second hand wouldn't be worried about getting windows 8 if its there fine but - windows 7 is fine and it looks like MS will replace windows 8 fairly shortly with a new version known as just windows!

SSD's are good and getting cheaper all the time. However I'm seeing that they can fail a lot quicker than their hdd counterparts so make sure everything is backed up in preferably multiple locations.

The mother was looking a pc for home here and was looking for some help as to what to get.
It will be used for
Invoicing and recording basic work.editing go pro videos.a bit of cad drawing and anything else a general family might need.a big monitor is a must as the ould lad is getting blind.

The mother was looking a pc for home here and was looking for some help as to what to get.
It will be used for
Invoicing and recording basic work.editing go pro videos.a bit of cad drawing and anything else a general family might need.a big monitor is a must as the ould lad is getting blind.

32"tv with vga port for the monitor so! Used the tv here with the laptop an odd time and makes drawing and stuff a dodle :D

Back