Leyland tractors

Kieran97

Since there was no thread for this marque, and i was looking at some belonging to a neighbour yesterday, i said i'd start this. Should be interesting...

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Oh the brakes.....

Were the ones with wet brakes much good? Said neighbour has a 602 with a kinda home made crane, 285 that only drives the turf elevator and a nuffield 10/60 with a 4/98 engine, (which also spent time in a jcb 3c) on 4 different sized wheels driving a home made turf turner

wet brakes were fine, as good as any other wet brake of the time. 285 would have been slow and harder to mechanic on brakes as had a ford type back end and the engine mounts that caused all the trouble with the clutch etc.

wet brakes were fine, as good as any other wet brake of the time. 285 would have been slow and harder to mechanic on brakes as had a ford type back end and the engine mounts that caused all the trouble with the clutch etc.

Your man was telling me about the engine mounts alright. He has modified his- steel ones now

It was all the 02 and 04 ranges that had the wet brakes wasn't it?

Bar the Perkins powered 502.

think so nash, but u can fit wet brakes to the older tractor, takes some modifiying though, nothing major mostly time, we have it near done, but not looked at it in over a year.

Was it not the 2100's that gave so much engine mount trouble or were the 285's the same?

First yoke i ever drove was an 802, could hardly push the peddles! :) the explorer cans were an awful lot nicer than the earlier secure cabs, with the sliding windows that generally got stuck about 3" open due to all the crud building up in the rails..

There was a 272 and 802 here(well and a few others before, a282 that I just about remember and a 384 before my time, and nufields before them) both the 272 and 802 had brackets for the loader but whatever it was the 802's pump wasn't fit to lift a silage bale, the 272 had no bother at all

Dad had Nuffields so by natural progression we came to have Leylands too.

The first was a Duncan cabbed 384. I remember thinking how luxurious can it get when I saw the electric wiper. (The nuffo's only had Lambourn cabs with a manually cranked handle to operate the wiper!)
Also the first tractor we had on 14 x 34's. All the neighbours said it would be no good for ploughing with them and came up to have a laugh when we started, but the salesman was a friend of Dads since childhood and had ensured him it would not be a problem , which it wasn't of course.

Next we got a 272 synchro . At the time most were buying Ford 6600's but the 272 was considerably cheaper and had a far nicer gearbox with side mounted levers . Of course the brakes and synchros did give trouble later on in its life but when new she was a real dinger.

Both had beautifully smooth engines and sounded fantastic when working.

The 272 had a great cab for the time (our first with a heater and radio!). My grandad said it was like an aeroplane when he saw all those switches lined up in the roof of the cab.

Was it not the 2100's that gave so much engine mount trouble or were the 285's the same?

First yoke i ever drove was an 802, could hardly push the peddles! :) the explorer cans were an awful lot nicer than the earlier secure cabs, with the sliding windows that generally got stuck about 3" open due to all the crud building up in the rails..

There was a 272 and 802 here(well and a few others before, a282 that I just about remember and a 384 before my time, and nufields before them) both the 272 and 802 had brackets for the loader but whatever it was the 802's pump wasn't fit to lift a silage bale, the 272 had no bother at all

285 was a derated 2100

285 was a derated 2100

Ah rite that would make sense!

Dad had Nuffields so by natural progression we came to have Leylands too.

The first was a Duncan cabbed 384. I remember thinking how luxurious can it get when I saw the electric wiper. (The nuffo's only had Lambourn cabs with a manually cranked handle to operate the wiper!)

Also the first tractor we had on 14 x 34's. All the neighbours said it would be no good for ploughing with them and came up to have a laugh when we started, but the salesman was a friend of Dads since childhood and had ensured him it would not be a problem , which it wasn't of course.

Next we got a 272 synchro . At the time most were buying Ford 6600's but the 272 was considerably cheaper and had a far nicer gearbox with side mounted levers . Of course the brakes and synchros did give trouble later on in its life but when new she was a real dinger.

Both had beautifully smooth engines and sounded fantastic when working.

The 272 had a great cab for the time (our first with a heater and radio!). My grandad said it was like an aeroplane when he saw all those switches lined up in the roof of the cab.

The 272 here was a synchro to, would have been the first yoke around here with synchro on reverse, dad was digging out for a shed here and a lad called over, dad was saying to him about the synchro but the guy didn't really believe him, dad let him in to bring a load over the road, said he was going up through the gears(all 3 of them :) ) next thing dad coped him going for "fourth" said hold on that's reverse, your man said it couldn't be as he started to let out the clutch, he soon learnt there was a synchro :D

Run a 253 here aswell.old lad bought her brand new in 72,she still earns as much money as some of the deeres here!!spends all here time attached to one of two stone rakes ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413126095.339473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another.shes on a harley t6 rake there.she has over 22000 hours now.engine rebuilt once.she has the perkins engine.going like a watch,brakes wouldnt of being her strongest point doh,takes a brave man to reverse her down off the lowloader!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413126244.864934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141851.870535.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141867.168741.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141899.656443.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141917.654594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141932.374653.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413141950.441841.jpg

1981 282 bought new by ourselves, was the main tractor on farm for long time cutting silage with doublechop, ploughing, drilling, baling, slurry etc. great yoke part from the dry brakes. Was relegated to loader tractor and got bit ruff, engine went porous and was parked in corner of shed for year of two until I did her up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Dads well in to the old leylands and nuffs:001_smile:

the 2 that stand out in the working collection are a 472 converted to foresty spec with a full belly plate and roll frame hooked up to a timber trailer.

Then a 482 which has just recently had a quickie loader put on it. gearbox is on its way out though, not been investigated yet but sounds like a bearing cage has gone or some thing, (does it when stood still, but also makes hell of a racket when you got some thing pushing her down hill or just over running when lifting off power about the yard so that's a second problem and will know doubt be a major strip down some time:thumbdown: whole gear box may get swapped as a scrap 262 sits in the yard with knackered engine.

Am I dreaming or were Leyland the first or one of the first
to do 40km/hr?

The 272H was said to be able to reach 30 MPH,so 50 K then! Don't fancy it much with that steering and braking system!!

to do 40km/hr?

A lot of the ones that were sold new in Ireland had a little blanking plate put in them to bloke off top gear, but I think it was only a few minutes with the spanners and lift the top plate off you could remove the plate and get the gear back.

to do 40km/hr?

yep, had a leyalnd here when we learnt to drive, learnt on grandas mf 265, progressed at end of summer to 384 with a 6cylinder, aged about 11-12.

The 272H was said to be able to reach 30 MPH,so 50 K then! Don't fancy it much with that steering and braking system!!

reason above leyland was sold, could make mince meat of 8340 sle fords on the road, and it was only on 30inch back wheels, had it on 34 for a while when we were 15, but stoppng had went from near impossible, to living in hope.

was only fit to be drove flat out, only time the front wheels stayed straight, hadnt time to wander.

[MENTION=3116]AHC[/MENTION], it was traded into a private dealer below traynors, u wouldnt happen to have seen anything like it, had 245 wrote on one bonnet panel, dirty big weld at the joint, orange half axle, orange engine, hydrostatic steering, all retro fitted. gearbox might be the origional.

also had a 272 syncro, for loader work, replaced with 802-still here in pieces. best geared loader tractor i have ever used, 3 spools in the 802 a dream we found.

Can't say u ever saw anything like that kinda yoke [MENTION=2596]wdah[/MENTION]

Back