Oiling Machinery,

jack_c

After spending Saturday washing down gear my question is about applying oil.

I've been told to use diesel with a couple if pints of oil in?

What's the best way to apply?

Could I use a back sprayer and lance? Or does it apply it too heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on the machinery. for example the fertiliser shaker, i power wash it and throw burned oil on it with a coke bottle with a pin hole in the cap, whereas with the baler i blow it down, throw a drop of good oil on the chains, and grease it. if you're powerwashing anything with bearings, make sure you grease it when you're finished- pushes the water out of the bearings. thats it really.

depends on the machinery. for example the fertiliser shaker, i power wash it and throw burned oil on it with a coke bottle with a pin hole in the cap, whereas with the baler i blow it down, throw a drop of good oil on the chains, and grease it. if you're powerwashing anything with bearings, make sure you grease it when you're finished- pushes the water out of the bearings. thats it really.

Washed all and going to grease them, run them then spray oil over to protect,

Got one of those crappy 4 piece sets with a tire gauge, paint gun, blow down nozzle and this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415128824.182361.jpg

Use it for sprayin a bit of oil on and works very well as it can get it into the corners handy enough

Think their supposed to be a body shutz gun but if you search that it's all the newer type ones that you just screw the bottle directly on now

Use 15 hyd oil that's used in the hydraulic scrapers. just about light enough to go through the spray gun on its own but stays on the machinery well.:thumbup:

a paint spray gun works well if your covering big areas, we brought a airless sprayer at a farm sale for £20 its brilliant, that acctually pumps the paint or oil threw a heating element so its easier sprayed and then to a hand held gun, you can really cover so area with it :thumbup:

Got one of those crappy 4 piece sets with a tire gauge, paint gun, blow down nozzle and this
View attachment 24538

Use it for sprayin a bit of oil on and works very well as it can get it into the corners handy enough

Think their supposed to be a body shutz gun but if you search that it's all the newer type ones that you just screw the bottle directly on now

"We" got one of those for spraying the name stencils on spud boxes several years ago,, it was actually Shyte for that job but is fantastic for horsing oil diesel mix onto stuff,,
Also use wax oil, n lots of thick grease for plough, ridgers, stuff like that, it don't take long, and if you have gone to the trouble of cleaning some thing off, you just as well hoy a bit of summat on it to keep the rust off,, also after you have washed it, then start oiling it. It some times easier to spot a potential problem n effect a repair/ order some spares as opposed to leaving it in the shed/ v
Machine park/ hedge/ stingers until 5 mins before you need it,,,:whistle:

View attachment 24538

Use this as well:thumbup:.2/3 diesel 1/3 hydr oil

Has the diesel any benefit other than thinning down the oil enough to go through a sprayer? Anything I do here is done by hand with a brush, but it's just oil without diesel I use.....

Has the diesel any benefit other than thinning down the oil enough to go through a sprayer? Anything I do here is done by hand with a brush, but it's just oil without diesel I use.....

None
i use just enough derv to get it through the gun like above
most trans oils will go through ok tho

Cheers for all the replies,

The only reason I was wondering about using a back sprayer was I was thinking about doing it away from the compressor on the gravel. But I think I have a schutz gun in the cupboard from a cheap set if need be,

Had a small 5l garden sprayer for the job but the seals didn't last too long. Was very handy alright. One of the ones that the concrete boys use would be the right job but are big money.

Had a small 5l garden sprayer for the job but the seals didn't last too long. Was very handy alright. One of the ones that the concrete boys use would be the right job but are big money.

Think I may try one and see how I get on first,

Will leave the job a lot handier for me

not being smart, but that was your first mistake.
i wash nothing here for the winter,
water lying in things all winter isnt a good plan imo.
my gear gets blown down and i spray oil mixed with diesel (only reason for that is to thin it down ), but as also said, the trans oil will run through a good sprayer.
the schuts gun is ok, or a paint gun, but id spray about 5-7 ltrs on the baler alone, its a slow job filling a schutz gun canister for that amount.
i wash them when i take them out next year, i dont mind them being slightly dirty over the winter backed into a shed, and the bit of dust and dirt on them helps keep the oil there.

i bought a hudson sprayer off e bay a few years ago, iirc it was about €100 odd.
its the best money i ever spent, use it for loads of things, from disinfectant to oil, thinners, creosote, TFR, shutter releaseand so on.
it came with two nozzles one for thin and one for thicker stuff.
its just a metal one, but its well painted, it never missed a bat yet anyways.
this is it from usa, i dont think i got mine from there, but i cant remember.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-Gallo...398486?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item1e93113996

for any of ye seriously exposed to the sea air like i am i use a product called Fluid Film, uses the oil extract from sheeps wool called lanolin, its the feckin business. i use that long nose sprayer, have to warm the stuff in hot water first to get it to go through the sprayer.

Converted a cousin of mine a large contractor to it too, he prefers to still use the drop of diesel with it.

Powerwashin bearings n all that is a real no no i think, just tear into it with the air line...

my gear gets blown down and i spray oil mixed with diesel (only reason for that is to thin it down ), but as also said, the trans oil will run through a good sprayer.
the schuts gun is ok, or a paint gun, but id spray about 5-7 ltrs on the baler alone, its a slow job filling a schutz gun canister for that amount.
i wash them when i take them out next year, i dont mind them being slightly dirty over the winter backed into a shed, and the bit of dust and dirt on them helps keep the oil there.

i bought a hudson sprayer off e bay a few years ago, iirc it was about €100 odd.
its the best money i ever spent, use it for loads of things, from disinfectant to oil, thinners, creosote, TFR, shutter releaseand so on.
it came with two nozzles one for thin and one for thicker stuff.
its just a metal one, but its well painted, it never missed a bat yet anyways.
this is it from usa, i dont think i got mine from there, but i cant remember.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-Gallo...398486?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item1e93113996

Don't worry about saying what you think... I'm learning! Haha

Mechanic over Vicon in Bell's told me to wash the mower, grease and oil hence why I did.

Haven't washed the harvester yet so maybe just pull all the stuff out of her and blow down with an airline and oil.

Thanks for the tip on the sprayer

The most important thing to do after washing at any time of the year is to grease every grease point afterwards to drive out any water. I suppose running the machine for a couple of minutes would shake off any lying water.....

Don't worry about saying what you think... I'm learning! Haha

Mechanic over Vicon in Bell's told me to wash the mower, grease and oil hence why I did.

Haven't washed the harvester yet so maybe just pull all the stuff out of her and blow down with an airline and oil.

Thanks for the tip on the sprayer

i would of listened on.
think about it.
you pressure wash it, water is going to get into things that its not supposed to, it ill lie there all winter attacking the steel.
just knock off the heavy stuff, blow her down and oil her up.
she will come out mint in a wash next year, as soon as she is washed she works, at least the water dosent get the chance to sit.
it ill not save her in the end, but it ill go a long way to helping her stay good.
The most important thing to do after washing at any time of the year is to grease every grease point afterwards to drive out any water. I suppose running the machine for a couple of minutes would shake off any lying water.....
i do run most things for a bit before i oil them down, just to try and make sure things are greased up somewhat.

same as that
if you go to bed dirty you will sleep but if you go to bed wet you will wake up illL][/QUOTE]

Stopped oiling gear a few years ago as it just makes them a mess when dust etc sticks to them. I put wd40 on the fert spreader though, buy it in 5 litre cans which is cheaper. Waxoil on plough boards and try to keep everything indoors during the winter.

I'd spray hydraulic oil on the sprayer once a month.steam clean first nd on with the oil then stops the chemicals rusting her.other than that everything gets a steam clean and oil before going into the shed.usually gets a quick wash before going out in the spring anyway.the oil makes the paint look good anyway

Back