Felling timber, illegal

I'm gathering that this guy is convinced that the tree is just growing there and would be no skin off of farmerjacks nose if it was gone.

I dont get why he should be pussyfooting around though, just tell him he doesnt want the tree cut down, and if it was to be cut down, it would need a permit, it would have to be cut by a fully insured tree surgeon AND the OP would need payment for it!

Either that or put a halogen light on every tree in the farm.

Tell him to go fcuk himself. Why bother making excuses to him.

I agree 100%, there is nothing to say just because you have accidently stopped his plan that he won't line up another man to cut it and you land back some day and its cut.

He is chancing his arm because he is related, tell him to Fcuk right off and the tree belongs to you and not him, its a sneaky underhand move he has tried and a marker needs to be put down. I would not waste time discussing legal aspects or insurances.

Another thing, if the situation were reversed what would he say to you???

I dont get why he should be pussyfooting around though, just tell him he doesnt want the tree cut down, and if it was to be cut down, it would need a permit, it would have to be cut by a fully insured tree surgeon AND the OP would need payment for it!

Either that or put a halogen light on every tree in the farm.
Did he not tell him already that he didn't want it knocked and re. permit? I think the OP's cousin and his neighbour said it was a particular tree. Either farmer jack wasn't assertive enough or this is one brasing fecker, no means no. If he still pursues cutting it down, then I would be calling the Guards because that'll be the first question farmerjack will be asked if he tells a dept. inspector that it was stolen.
It can be difficult to handle such awkward relations as it usually throws other family members in to the ring too.
Both he, and his neighbour (probably more importantly) need to be told the implications for you ( [MENTION=1551]farmerjack[/MENTION] ) and what you are obliged to do when a tree is "stolen" (as you cannot legally give them permission to cut the tree when you don't have the permission yourself) and the implications for them and that you'd rather not to be put in a situation where you are obliged to call the gardai. All of this is aside the insurance aspect.

Either way, it's not that expensive to buy seasoned split firewood. Here's a plug..... Tonne bags of seasoned oak/ash for sale here €65 each, depending on tree size there'd be about 3 bags in a tree.

He who cuts wood warm himself twice.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415021950876.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415021950876.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 250
Did he not tell him already that he didn't want it knocked and re. permit? I think the OP's cousin and his neighbour said it was a particular tree. Either farmer jack wasn't assertive enough or this is one brasing fecker, no means no. If he still pursues cutting it down, then I would be calling the Guards because that'll be the first question farmerjack will be asked if he tells a dept. inspector that it was stolen.
It can be difficult to handle such awkward relations as it usually throws other family members in to the ring too.
Both he, and his neighbour (probably more importantly) need to be told the implications for you ( [MENTION=1551]farmerjack[/MENTION] ) and what you are obliged to do when a tree is "stolen" (as you cannot legally give them permission to cut the tree when you don't have the permission yourself) and the implications for them and that you'd rather not to be put in a situation where you are obliged to call the gardai. All of this is aside the insurance aspect.

Either way, it's not that expensive to buy seasoned split firewood. Here's a plug..... Tonne bags of seasoned oak/ash for sale here €65 each, depending on tree size there'd be about 3 bags in a tree.

With all due respect I think we are clouding the issue here. The man told his relative (as nicely as possible) that the tree (his tree) was not to be cut as in his opinion it was illegal to do so.

The relative then went away and arranged another man to cut it anyway hoping that it would be on the ground before anyone noticed. People that pull this type of thing need to be called on it. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms to Fcuk off, no debate on legal aspects or insurance just plainly Fcuk off and don't dare try a stunt like that again. When the relative arranged the man to cut it he knew well that a fall out could result but he pushed on anyway so he deserves no mercy. To me its that simple or am I missing something?

Sorry for the rant but people like that really annoy me,

With all due respect I think we are clouding the issue here. The man told his relative (as nicely as possible) that the tree (his tree) was not to be cut as in his opinion it was illegal to do so.

The relative then went away and arranged another man to cut it anyway hoping that it would be on the ground before anyone noticed. People that pull this type of thing need to be called on it. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms to Fcuk off, no debate on legal aspects or insurance just plainly Fcuk off and don't dare try a stunt like that again. When the relative arranged the man to cut it he knew well that a fall out could result but he pushed on anyway so he deserves no mercy. To me its that simple or am I missing something?

Sorry for the rant but people like that really annoy me,
You're dead right, and to be fair that was pointed out very early on. He needs to be told that if it's knocked that farmer jack will have no option but to call the Gardai.

Tell him to f- off and if he does knock it you will go around to his house with your chainsaw and return the favour on his doors and furniture.

I agree 100%, there is nothing to say just because you have accidently stopped his plan that he won't line up another man to cut it and you land back some day and its cut.

He is chancing his arm because he is related, tell him to Fcuk right off and the tree belongs to you and not him, its a sneaky underhand move he has tried and a marker needs to be put down. I would not waste time discussing legal aspects or insurances.

Another thing, if the situation were reversed what would he say to you???
You hit the nail on the head there he's a tradesman and I've got him to do work in the past he was charging celtic tiger prices at the time and still is (can't understand how he still gets work) there's no special rate for relations :thumbdown: That's why this annoys me even more he doesn't do any special offers for anyone but always expects to get things on the cheap himself. I also told him about a man selling timber not far away that sells seasoned split spruce €35/tonne sand bag if that wasn't enough of a hint also but no this man has his eye on ash. I wouldn't even cut ash for my own use, I only cut fallen spruce and white thorns that fell in the storm last spring.

tell your other relations what went on and the reasons why it can,t be felled as then you will have your side of the story out there before he has a chance to act the maggot, they probably know the sort he is anyway

You hit the nail on the head there he's a tradesman and I've got him to do work in the past he was charging celtic tiger prices at the time and still is (can't understand how he still gets work) there's no special rate for relations :thumbdown: That's why this annoys me even more he doesn't do any special offers for anyone but always expects to get things on the cheap himself. I also told him about a man selling timber not far away that sells seasoned split spruce €35/tonne sand bag if that wasn't enough of a hint also but no this man has his eye on ash. I wouldn't even cut ash for my own use, I only cut fallen spruce and white thorns that fell in the storm last spring.

Your point above just reinforces my earlier advice, he needs told directly in no uncertain terms or where will it stop? He will try the same thing next year and so on without fear of any consequences,

I'm taken back by the arrogance of this man,

The uncle used to have to wrap barbed wire around the trees on the farm to stop the cousin from chopping them down ,the cousin had no need for the timber he used to chop them because it used to set the uncle wrong :lol:

Fire a few steel nails into it with a nail gun and that will put off anyone tackling it with a chainsaw . That is what the tree huggers do in America .

As for the permit. does that cover this side of the water also?? Have a lot of trees that need to come down here in the next few years, mainly due to them getting a bit too ropey for my liking, all lining a road.

Not sure whether things have changed but you could fell a certain amount of cubic meters of timber before a felling license was required. Also depends, now, if they have been counted towards points for current greening scheme.

Personally i think he is a bit of a user. Any time i hear ash tree , i think hurleys. I believe he is trying to make a few handy quid from it.
Tell him that you had the tree valued at 500 euro or similar between trunk for hurleys and firewood.
tell him you would be willing to sell him the tree at that price as long as he gets the relative felling license, gets a qualified and insured man with a chainsaw. pays for a loader/trackmachine /chipper /stump grinder to clean up the place after, no branches to be left around to get caught in machinery. All the machinery and labour would have to be prepaid for as well so you couldn't get stung for it
That would be your special offer to him.
That would see him f off fairly quickly

Only seeing this thread now. I'd agree with the lads taking the hardline approach. It doesn't matter if this chancer is related or not, no means no in my book. If a black stranger wandered into the yard and told you he was going to rob your trailer you wouldn't start giving him excuses as to why it didn't really suit you, this case is no different. I'd be sure to let him know you knew about the stroke he was trying to pull too and that you're far from impressed. Tell him that if he doesn't understand simple English then the next time he feels like coming for a stroll around he should take himself off to an adult education course instead

So is the tree still standing or did he cut it down for xmas firing or did you threaten to make a coffin out of it for him if he cut it down?

A few months back a relation took a fancy to an ash tree on my property and said he'd like to have it for firewood, I told him it was over 10 years old and illegal to fell and left it at that. A few days back my wife met his neighbour who informed her the the said relation asked him if he would cut the tree for him :thumbdown: Some cheek. As far as I know there is a law against felling any tree over 10 years unless it's within 100 yards of a dwelling and also letting any one waltz in with a chainsaw without qualifications or insurance is a recipe for disaster.

My uncle does not have a tree left on his farm. Neighbours have them all cut and burnt. Now he has to buy solid fuel for his stove. My neighbour used to say "another name for a decent man is a fool". My brother then comes along and stores his timber in the uncles shed and guess what, neighbours burnt it all. I did try to warn him. This sort of thing boils my blood but as its his farm he can do as he pleases.

With regard to letting someone else using a chainsaw on your property -you can say goodbye to your lands if there is an injury claim. All chainsaw accidents have serious injuries.

My uncle does not have a tree left on his farm. Neighbours have them all cut and burnt. Now he has to buy solid fuel for his stove. My neighbour used to say "another name for a decent man is a fool". My brother then comes along and stores his timber in the uncles shed and guess what, neighbours burnt it all. I did try to warn him. This sort of thing boils my blood but as its his farm he can do as he pleases.

With regard to letting someone else using a chainsaw on your property -you can say goodbye to your lands if there is an injury claim. All chainsaw accidents have serious injuries.

They're not neighbours - they're freeloaders. That's maddening, some people would make you sick.

The uncle here used to be the same tbh, letting crowds cut up fallen trees and cut down trees. I've wrongly or rightly put an end to that. I like trees and there's not to many farms around have the kind of trees that are growing here.

Back