New 20' Grain Trailer

vf949

Hi,

We are considering buying a new 20' grain trailer so just looking for advice/opinions.

Which one would you go for?

Broughan, Smyth, Dooley, Slurrykat, Kane, Fleming, Newrock, Redrock, Herron, Lynch, McCullagh, etc. etc. Not going ringing them all !

Currently leaning towards Smyth or Broughan. Thinking of 6 foot sides, air brakes, approx 560 tyres.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

We are considering buying a new 20' grain trailer so just looking for advice/opinions.

Broughan, Smyth, Dooley, Slurrykat, Kane, Fleming, Newrock, Redrock, Herron, Lynch, McCullagh, etc. etc. Not going ringing them all !

Currently leaning towards Smyth or Broughan. Thinking of 6 foot sides, air brakes, approx 560 tyres.

Thanks in advance!

i suppose price comes into it but broughan and smyth are very fashionable around these parts for last few years. seem to be a very well built trailer and look the part. must be competitive with their pricing to have such a following

I bought a 20' Broughan with 6' sides and 2 of my friends bought Smyths and there is little or nothing between them, each have never slight advantages and disadvantages.
You wouldn't go far wrong with either of them, both damn good trailers.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
harry west ! ----------

Have a 20 ft braughan on 560 s with air , brings a nice load and easily pulled . Not much between either but I just preferred the look of the braughan

Is Joe Deery still in business? I bought a couple of trailers from him, they were well built and he wasn't hard to deal with

Is Joe Deery still in business? I bought a couple of trailers from him, they were well built and he wasn't hard to deal with

There's one here beside us and it's a very well finished trailer ,lovely to pull and I'd say it must be 7 or 8year old at this stage. Haven't seen any others since though.

my neighbour bought a broughan last year and its a fine trailer but i think there was a long wait for it, mightn,t be as bad this year with the outlook for grain

All new smyths at work and I be leaning towards a smyth as they are a fine well finished trailer especially if you get all the bells and whistles on it. But I can't see there been much of a difference between a smyth and a broughan

How would you fair out with a 20ft trailer with 6ft sides and 560 tyres full of wheat under the weight limits? I don't know what they hold.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
I'd be in favour of the Broughan, are they building everything to 50 kmh specs or do they still do a lesser spec for 40kmh, probably do. A few things to be aware of if going for 50kmh on a new build, air braked, load sensing and auto slack adjusters are required according to the RSA. In the bit in the F indo Broughan didn't mention the load sensing or slack adjusters.

Pretty much all of those above are in the area here in some shape or form.

Broughan seem to have the edge at the moment but not a lot in it.

Although as the lads say there is a waiting list, ordering pretty soon should hopefully mean harvest delivery.

Also, your proposed spec sounds to me to be standard 50km/hr spec so there might be a trailer in stock somewhere if you were in a hurry

Local contractor here has 2 18ft broughan for grain think he has 7ft sides so they can haul silage as well . Wouldn't go for 20s as reckoned they'd be over weight when loaded . Has 4 silage trailers ordered for this year 18ft again due to weight concerns .
How would you fair out with a 20ft trailer with 6ft sides and 560 tyres full of wheat under the weight limits? I don't know what they hold.

Local contractor here has 2 18ft broughan for grain think he has 7ft sides so they can haul silage as well . Wouldn't go for 20s as reckoned they'd be over weight when loaded . Has 4 silage trailers ordered for this year 18ft again due to weight concerns .
7ft sides on an 18 would hold more than 6ft sides on a 20ft so that doesn't address his weight concerns for grain, it's really about getting to know where the fill level is to gross 24 ton, even with a 20ft you would never be near that weight with silage.

Didn't think the weight for a 2 axle was 24 ton . ?
7ft sides on an 18 would hold more than 6ft sides on a 20ft so that doesn't address his weight concerns for grain, it's really about getting to know where the fill level is to gross 24 ton, even with a 20ft you would never be near that weight with silage.

Apparently they can operate at 24 ton gross provided they are plated, fitted with flexible suspension and flotation tyres of at least 500mm , braking specifications would be dependant on the max speed rating, it would be a mistake to buy a new trailer that didn't meet these requirements.

Back