New milking parlour

FIAT 450

Well lads any one on here after doing a new milking parlour?. We done up our own 1 11 years ago for milking 85 cows we are now at 120 and our parlour and handling facilities are now insufficient. We are looking at a green field site as we're the parlour is now is in a built up area. Was thinking of parlour and handling facilities under 1 roof. Has anyone else done something like this looking for ideas things to look out for things like that. Any help would be great. Ta

Make the shed and pit so it can all be easilly extended is my advice.
Otherwise is it worth the cost to put handling facilities under a roof? For the ammount of use it gets?

I'm currently working on fixing the kinks in mine.
Best advice is get a really good planner who actually understands cow flow.

If starting from a greenfield I'd design it so cows can walk directly out not turn at a right angle like most herringbone.
All the angles they have to turn at should be curved unlike most parlours
A good area for drafting is also essential. Ideally placed so the cows go back towards where they came. A covered collecting yard with slats after the parlour so the cows can stand but be clear with either rubber mats or groving through the parlour

Make the shed and pit so it can all be easilly extended is my advice.
Otherwise is it worth the cost to put handling facilities under a roof? For the ammount of use it gets?
Agree with the first part
As for handling under a roof, definitely. Parlours always have collecting yards that fill with dirty water anyway so you'll need extra tank space unless covered. The amount of handling cows go through is quite a bit too

Ya getting the guy that understand the thing not just have red it off a book is wot Iam hoping to get. The lad the services the parlour as is has a good head so relying on him abit to. Ya definitely covering the yard am sick to my balls getting wet AI or vacating the plan would be to put up a cubicle shed aswell beside the parlour so have to plan that in aswell. Looking at a 18 with room to go further is a definite. Want to be able to set it up is a one man job wen it comes to milking and drafting and not be all over the place

Have a look for the cow signals book as it has some good info.

Also think there are some good diagrams on the delaval website. You can always ask the milking machine supplier to show you some farms so you can cherry pick ideas.

Down in new ross wexford. Ya we are very early stage now want to see as much as possible and get good ideas Iam only doing in the once. There a guy in limerick John mcnamara would like to see his set up now looks good from wot I can see on youtube

a neighbour of mine put up a new greenfield parlour last year, 16 units but big enough to go to 24 all under one roof,dairymaster machine i can get you a look at it if you want no problem

Have a look for the cow signals book as it has some good info.

Also think there are some good diagrams on the delaval website. You can always ask the milking machine supplier to show you some farms so you can cherry pick ideas.
Definitely cow signals.

I'm going for training in it soon I'm so impressed with what I've read so far

a neighbour of mine put up a new greenfield parlour last year, 16 units but big enough to go to 24 all under one roof,dairymaster machine i can get you a look at it if you want no problem
Hey humungus that would be good of you were are you based?

Hey humungus that would be good of you were are you based?

I saw a magazine about parlour design in easons last week ,i think it was called farm buildings layout ,might be worth a look at

The journal did a feature in that dairy magazine a few months back on a few different parlours and drafting etc, well worth a read I taught.
You must be very confident of the dairy future if your pushing on with such a big job at the minute fair played to you. Are you applying for the TAMS grant for it?

I must go on line and see can I find that article in the journal. Well look it won't stay like this for ever and wot we are milking in at present is making the job very difficult. I could put a drafting gate in at the mo but Iam still caught on space at present cows are on lanes and everything. Land wise Iam good we are tilling abit so that will come into things. Ya the dairymaster lads were saying to go for the grant on the machine only and not the shed. Cost could be anything for 3,-8k per unit

Would you not sit tight a while,there could be plenty cheap parlours bought yet.

Irish Dairy Farmer was the magazine. It broke down every parlour into hour/cow, surprisingly it was the double up parlour that came out on top if I remember right and they'd be very rare

Well we have land that's 13 km away from home that we are tilling so I think it will go under the hammer it's not very beneficial to us under a dairy system so that will go towards a new system and I think we won't be screwed on tax but have to be sure on that 1st. As regards buying some 1 else parlour not to sure bout it. It had crossed my mind but I want a parlour to my spec o plan on doing it once to be honest. I know it's on the floor but it couldn't stay were it was either and the dog on the street knew wot was comming to

Ok
Irish Dairy Farmer was the magazine. It broke down every parlour into hour/cow, surprisingly it was the double up parlour that came out on top if I remember right and they'd be very rare
oh rite cool was thinking rapid exit at the mo open to new ideas aswell

Back