New 20' Grain Trailer

Pulled herrons smyths Kane's all sorts I find broughan a nice trailer nice weight an balance to them but as a drivers trailer I really like Smyth trailers an Kane's can't fault them in any way I like the herrons too but I find they are not the best onset ground or very hilly fields but a very well built strong trailer but will still be leaning towards the Smyth an have the pleasure of a new fieldmaster for the coming season

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 131
What size tyres would you guys go for on a 20' grain trailer?

The most popular tyre now seems to be BKT 560/60 R22.5. The reason is that under the new rsa rules a flotation tyre over 500mm wide can take an extra 2 tonne (approx 15.5t versus 17.5t).

The nature of a grain trailer is that it spends more time on the road than in the field. What are your experiences of 560 tyres. How do they wear versus a super single? Do they last approx half the length of what a super single will? Will they be burnt off on the road?

The trailer is approx €1,000 dearer if you go with 560s rather than 445 super singles. The BKT 560 tyres are approx €610 +vat each to buy when you go to replace them. The 445 super single are approx €330 + vat. each when you go to replace them.

No

The most popular tyre now seems to be BKT 560/60 R22.5. The reason is that under the new rsa rules a flotation tyre over 500mm wide can take an extra 2 tonne (approx 15.5t versus 17.5t).

The nature of a grain trailer is that it spends more time on the road than in the field. What are your experiences of 560 tyres. How do they wear versus a super single? Do they last approx half the length of what a super single will? Will they be burnt off on the road?

The trailer is approx €1,000 dearer if you go with 560s rather than 445 super singles. The BKT 560 tyres are approx €610 +vat each to buy when you go to replace them. The 445 super single are approx €330 + vat. each when you go to replace them.
not to sure on price or wear but I'd go with the 560 , the difference in the field is hard to believe until you see it , make sure they are the steel belted ones , wouldn't be worried about them wearing out more so than getting a cut as they are wide . In the future any trailer we by will be on 560 s

I only have a couple of years with the 560/60/22.5's so couldn't really comments as it would only be on the road for the harvest.
I have a good few years up on 560/45/22.5's and they are wearing fairly well, I started with 550/45/22.5's and they were worse than useless and changed over to Nokian country king 560/45/22.5's, I manage to destroy 2 of them on a steel stub of a girder set in cement, not my best day :sad2:, and replaced them with BKT steel belted FL693M.
The Bkt's seem to be wearing as well or better than the Nokian's and seem to be going to do a good few yeas.
I am trying to ban all super singles out of my fields totally, but it may take a few years before I can ban the 18R's.

A 560/60 will have a higher load rating than a 560/45 of the same brand , yes it makes for a slightly higher trailer but the 60 will serve you better if doing a lot of road work.

A 560/60 will have a higher load rating than a 560/45 of the same brand , yes it makes for a slightly higher trailer but the 60 will serve you better if doing a lot of road work.
Yes there is a massive difference load carrying of the 60's v 45's, but that trailer was bought for beet and the armers could only barely tip into it with the 45's.
It still does a nice bit of beet work, but I get nothing out of it so 60's next time I have money to spend and extensions, a roll over cover, a respray and air over oil brakes.

I only have a couple of years with the 560/60/22.5's so couldn't really comments as it would only be on the road for the harvest.
I have a good few years up on 560/45/22.5's and they are wearing fairly well, I started with 550/45/22.5's and they were worse than useless and changed over to Nokian country king 560/45/22.5's, I manage to destroy 2 of them on a steel stub of a girder set in cement, not my best day :sad2:, and replaced them with BKT steel belted FL693M.
The Bkt's seem to be wearing as well or better than the Nokian's and seem to be going to do a good few yeas.
I am trying to ban all super singles out of my fields totally, but it may take a few years before I can ban the 18R's.
chaser bin:wub::clap:

I was in EPT today and he is all geared up to supply you with all lights and stuff to make your trailer legal . He even had the RSA booklets . He had a certified chain with a metal label on it giving the tonnage and the chain was not that big .
20160412_101957.jpg

20160412_102007.jpg

I was in EPT today and he is all geared up to supply you with all lights and stuff to make your trailer legal . He even had the RSA booklets . He had a certified chain with a metal label on it giving the tonnage and the chain was not that big .
20160412_101957.jpg

20160412_102007.jpg
How much or did you enquire, asked at the local dealers about a Genfit 20t one with a couple of shackles, D bolts and bits on it...€150 incl

Nice one @Bog Man Thanks for that :Thumbp2: I'll be paying a visit. I enquired off another man a while ago about the chains but he would only supply the cert for lifting not for a break away.

McCarthys have 4 extra new 20's in their yard this morning. This is in addition to the 3 new ones that are there already. Green, red, blue. All 20fts, silage sides, air brakes and hydraulic doors.
He sells a lot of stuff.
Just doing a bit of reading about grain trailers and looking for opinions on the Smyths and Broughans and found this thread. A lot of what is discussed here is what I was thinking myself anyway just good to hear the same thing from other people. McCarthys had an open day last week and talking to one of the sales men, he said they sold 86 broughan trailers last year and they have over 30 sold already for this year. I'm asumming most were for silage and probably contractors upgrading gear to meet RSA standards. Are the old trailers parked up??

Just doing a bit of reading about grain trailers and looking for opinions on the Smyths and Broughans and found this thread. A lot of what is discussed here is what I was thinking myself anyway just good to hear the same thing from other people. McCarthys had an open day last week and talking to one of the sales men, he said they sold 86 broughan trailers last year and they have over 30 sold already for this year. I'm asumming most were for silage and probably contractors upgrading gear to meet RSA standards. Are the old trailers parked up??

Once a trailer has good working brakes, lights, breakaway and appropriate markings plus good tyres and used appropriately there should be no reason to park it up, six months old or 50 years old.

Just my view.:Thumbp2:

Are Thorpe trailers being made any more? I all ways thought they were a good trailer smooth to pull etc. Very steady on side off a hill with silage. Also think that lynch make a beautiful trailer as well.

Think Thorpe trailers are no more . And would agree with you on there build quality. A certain cork based outfit used draw maize in here and still do with a few Thorpes the abuse those trailers took and kept going I doubt the new trailer makers trailers would take the same abuse .
Are Thorpe trailers being made any more? I all ways thought they were a good trailer smooth to pull etc. Very steady on side off a hill with silage. Also think that lynch make a beautiful trailer as well.

Once a trailer has good working brakes, lights, breakaway and appropriate markings plus good tyres and used appropriately there should be no reason to park it up, six months old or 50 years old.

Just my view.:Thumbp2:
I agree 100%. A well maintained trailer will last for years. A lot of trailers are not well maintained do and probably should be parked.
I don't think so. More repairs and bespoke items they are doing.

Try buying a S/H trailer, they are certainly not at 'parked up' prices!
There is demand for decent S/H trailers and that will keep the price up

Think Thorpe trailers are no more . And would agree with you on there build quality. A certain cork based outfit used draw maize in here and still do with a few Thorpes the abuse those trailers took and kept going I doubt the new trailer makers trailers would take the same abuse .

Are they a certain outfit with deutz and krone harvesters? If so I see they took delivery of their 5th and 6th Smyth supercube a few weeks ago after getting 4 new ones last year.

Are they a certain outfit with deutz and krone harvesters? If so I see they took delivery of their 5th and 6th Smyth supercube a few weeks ago after getting 4 new ones last year.

Yea I know who your on about.. there was a guy in east cork who used to pull a 20 foot Thorpe with flotation tyres. The vertical bars on the side of the trailer was sweet.

Back