Kuhn vb2160 balers

MF590

Hello, anyone have any experience on these balers thinking of getting a demo. What are they like in silage and also straw is the netting system reliable?
Thanks

I wouldn't touch a belt baler from any manufacturer for silage. There's a thread about belt balers on here somewhere already I'm fairly sure, the same general rules would apply to them all

Belt balers have came a long way. Just about everyone in my area are trading there fixed chamber for a belted mchale welger etc and have no bother in silage apart from wet short grass where the belts can twist

Belt balers have came a long way. Just about everyone in my area are trading there fixed chamber for a belted mchale welger etc and have no bother in silage apart from wet short grass where the belts can twist
Is that not bother enough? Give them 3 or 4 years until belts start stretching and tearing and splitting and they'll be going back to roller balers again. What area are you in?

Demoed a Lely 545 belt baler last year. an animal of a machine to take in grass,hay or straw. made fine big bales. however the silage bales weren't worth a sh1te when we opened them last winter. moldy the whole way through to the center. but at hay and straw no chamber baler will keep into a belt baler. i was baling winter wheat behind a dominator 96 combine i was baling at 16km. but silage is a no go no matter what a sales rep says

Demoed a Lely 545 belt baler last year. an animal of a machine to take in grass,hay or straw. made fine big bales. however the silage bales weren't worth a sh1te when we opened them last winter. moldy the whole way through to the center. but at hay and straw no chamber baler will keep into a belt baler. i was baling winter wheat behind a dominator 96 combine i was baling at 16km. but silage is a no go no matter what a sales rep says
How many bales an hour were you putting out in straw? I thought the Lely belt baler had the same pick-up as the roller baler

i only made about 40 bales with it but averaging 1 a minute
There wouldn't be anything spectacular about that, any half decent modern roller baler would do 60 bales of hay or straw an hour at it's ease. I've often done 90 an hour, and over a hundred a couple of times albeit in a big swath in a big field.

I'd have no fear of a belt baler anyway even a new holland 644 makes a great bale
Ya don't half contradict yourself, you were giving out about the mchale a few weeks ago saying it was a disaster in short wet grass now your saying you'd have no fear of a belt baler directly under a comment saying there no good in short wet grass by a man that has experience of one with a post a lot more constructive than " there a animal"

There wouldn't be anything spectacular about that, any half decent modern roller baler would do 60 bales of hay or straw an hour at it's ease. I've often done 90 an hour, and over a hundred a couple of times albeit in a big swath in a big field.
sorry i meant to say it was putting out 6ft bales at nearly full density

would it be basically like grass cuttings going into the baler ?? baled a few fields like that before. if its real short i drop the knives and bale away. also what might help is to weave over and back the sward to ensure the center of the bale is full. if the grass is light the center of the sward is usually empty
Even like that in say a 5 to 6 bale to the acre young grass crop. He said he's tried weaving and seems to get better performance with the rake but still not just right. Its only in shortish grass he has this problem. Has tried bailing very fast and very slow.
Has no problem in longer grasses. He's tried all ways with the knives.

Even like that in say a 5 to 6 bale to the acre young grass crop. He said he's tried weaving and seems to get better performance with the rake but still not just right. Its only in shortish grass he has this problem. Has tried bailing very fast and very slow.
Has no problem in longer grasses. He's tried all ways with the knives.

There well packed you make out just lopsided?

I dont tink Tippcon ever had a belt baler I might be wrong we have a belt baler and never had an issue with it in short wet grass but maybe that's an exception.
I don't know if it was my comment being referred to, but you're right I never owned a belt baler. A neighbour of ours had one, we used to bale for him because it broke his heart at silage and it got to the stage he wouldn't pull it out for anything other than the odd bit of straw. Another neighbour had one, similar story, we did a bit of baling for him too. My in-laws bought one brand new a few years back, I baled with it and beside it numerous times, they did 2 or maybe 3 seasons with it and got rid of it because it broke their hearts in silage. It wasn't able to keep up with the Welger in hay or straw either. There were a couple of manufacturers involved. Out of curiosity, if the New Holland is such a good yoke why don't you use it anymore, and why did you buy the Welger?

I don't know if it was my comment being referred to, but you're right I never owned a belt baler. A neighbour of ours had one, we used to bale for him because it broke his heart at silage and it got to the stage he wouldn't pull it out for anything other than the odd bit of straw. Another neighbour had one, similar story, we did a bit of baling for him too. My in-laws bought one brand new a few years back, I baled with it and beside it numerous times, they did 2 or maybe 3 seasons with it and got rid of it because it broke their hearts in silage. It wasn't able to keep up with the Welger in hay or straw either. There were a couple of manufacturers involved. Out of curiosity, if the New Holland is such a good yoke why don't you use it anymore, and why did you buy the Welger?
Because it doesn't have a Chopper it's not going to touch a modern baler to take in the crop.
And its a 25 year old baler at this stage.
I tink we put a joiner in one belt that was it.
Besides anyway what I said in my post is they make a great bale.
I said nothing about using it everyday or what it's like next to a mchales intake. I dont really see where the whole problem around the post is?
It's used to make smaller round bales of hayledge now that's it and before we got the welger it was a back up or used if 2 were needed but mainly only hay due to its inability to chop.
Bought the welger purely on price if I'm honest about it.
And also wanted to try a welger next to a mchale.

There's mixed views on the belt baler capabilities in wet grass so if the op is going to be organising a demo that's what I'd be aiming to bale a bit of with it

Because it doesn't have a Chopper it's not going to touch a modern baler to take in the crop.
And its a 25 year old baler at this stage.
I tink we put a joiner in one belt that was it.
Besides anyway what I said in my post is they make a great bale.
I said nothing about using it everyday or what it's like next to a mchales intake. I dont really see where the whole problem around the post is?
It's used to make smaller round bales of hayledge now that's it and before we got the welger it was a back up or used if 2 were needed but mainly only hay due to its inability to chop.
Bought the welger purely on price if I'm honest about it.
And also wanted to try a welger next to a mchale.

There's no problem at all, I was just explaining how my opinion was formed after you implied I didn't know what I was talking about. We all know you don't have to own something to have an opinion on it. The discussion was about baling silage with a belt baler, you said you'd have no fear of one, now you're saying you baled very little silage with one. I saw several in action up close and personal in crops of silage and found them to be inferior to a roller baler in terms of reliability. There's not much use in a yoke making great bales if it's only going to make a couple of thousand before you have to go for the spanners. There could be people out there putting thousands of bales of silage through belt balers every year without any problems, if there are I'll stand corrected, I've just never heard of them.

There's no problem at all, I was just explaining how my opinion was formed after you implied I didn't know what I was talking about. We all know you don't have to own something to have an opinion on it. The discussion was about baling silage with a belt baler, you said you'd have no fear of one, now you're saying you baled very little silage with one. I saw several in action up close and personal in crops of silage and found them to be inferior to a roller baler in terms of reliability. There's not much use in a yoke making great bales if it's only going to make a couple of thousand before you have to go for the spanners. There could be people out there putting thousands of bales of silage through belt balers every year without any problems, if there are I'll stand corrected, I've just never heard of them.

I didnt say you didn't know what you were talking about I asked did you ever on one I wasn't sure.
No I never said I baled very little with one I said it's never used anymore I've actually said that twice now so I suppose I'll be told next that Ive no argument because I keep saying the same thing twice.
As I've said we never had a problem baling silage with it.
There was another contractor near here had one up on 10 years.
I'm not saying your wrong I can see perfectly where you are comming from.
I haven't seen any of the modern ones on the go except at demos.
A mate of mine spent a year on one in NZ alright but the grass wouldn't be wet There.
I'd say we are probably better draw a line under it now because it's fairly pointless argument where there is an awful lot of assumptions being made with very little volume

Back