Branch Chopping Machine

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
Came across this recently, thought it was a novel idea for cutting up branches.

It seems you can order the chopping unit from poland and build your own machine around the rest of it, or order a fully built machine too.

Is there anything like this available in Ireland or the UK? Most seem to be mulchers rather than choppers.

These are quite popular in the UK, and there are a few of them working this side of the water too afaik.
http://www.welmacuk.co.uk/branch_loggers.htm

The only problem I see with them is, what is the end product fit for really, unless you had and external burner that you could toss the whole bag in.
For a normal fire/stove, I think drawing that stuff to it all night could wear thin.

I agree, for a lot of the small stuff, it'd get tedious, mostly thinking 2" to 4" material, I find it good for making a decent bed in a fire and may as well use it up.

They probably bundle it up as kindling nets?
Quick way of doing it anyway!

Came across this recently, thought it was a novel idea for cutting up branches.

It seems you can order the chopping unit from poland and build your own machine around the rest of it, or order a fully built machine too.

Is there anything like this available in Ireland or the UK? Most seem to be mulchers rather than choppers.

Have you got a link to where you can order the chopper unit?

Meant to follow up on this sooner. Here's a diy option that could be put together easy enough using an axel and drive and a good sized rim.

Meant to follow up on this sooner. Here's a diy option that could be put together easy enough using an axel and drive and a good sized rim.

I spotted something like that before, a good idea and as you say, easy to make. Wouldn't be difficult to make a depth stop either.

Either design would need decent guards around it for safety!

I meant to pop up a few photos of the machine I bought last year;

Its not able to take big stuff, but rather small stuff the thickness of your wrist; say 5cm diameter.

Great stuff to burn or get a fire going; and it dries out in no time.

Attachments

• IMG_7842.JPG
    IMG_7842.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_7843.JPG
    IMG_7843.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_7845.JPG
    IMG_7845.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 230
I meant to pop up a few photos of the machine I bought last year;

Its not able to take big stuff, but rather small stuff the thickness of your wrist; say 5cm diameter.

Great stuff to burn or get a fire going; and it dries out in no time.
Where did you buy that treemover? I was looking at them at lamma, a mate of mine bought a few of the chopping boxes and is making his own. They seem to be a great job.

I bought it direct from the manufacturer. Let's just say the uk distributor was taking a massive margin.

There are cheaper alternatives, but I need this to pass health and safety for sites; which other cannot.

It wasn't cheap; two and a half times a competitor!!! But it is well built.

Very quiet compared to a woodchipper. It's like a silage wagon verses precision chop.

There's lots for sale on the internet, everything from €2000 upwards. Never seen one other than my own in the flesh, so can't really comment.

I think you can hire one, a guy on done deal sells and hires them.

I offer the service, ie myself, tractor and logger.

Looks nice but does that actually save any time??
Someone has spent ages quatering and sawing to length

Aye its a fair bit of engineering but I also noticed those quartered lengths too . I really only suits uniform stuff . I'd be more interested in the machine that deals with branches and converts them into usable firewood .

Back