Feed out pictures.

johndeere6920s

I always love to see stock housed and a line of silage infront of them.
I suppose it sort of shows the efforts of your labour all summer.
As we are pushing closer to the winter I thought it might be a good idea for a thread if people were to put up the odd picture of them feeding there stock.
Maybe a brief description of what kind of mix there feeding or the difference they see between different dry matters or different methods of ensiling the crop.

Will take some pics in the morning. There will be a lot more of them in by the middle of the week. Plan to wean calves, letc the calves out and keep the cows on the slats. Land is a mess - literally floating away.

Will take some pics in the morning. There will be a lot more of them in by the middle of the week. Plan to wean calves, letc the calves out and keep the cows on the slats. Land is a mess - literally floating away.
Was out and about myself today, nearly blown away though. Even the dry ground is getting bad now. If this weather persists their will be a lot of early weaning going on here. Have some rough ground that I normally winter a few spring calves on but it looks farce wet so their won't be anything going on their unless a bit of frost or drier weather shows up :cry:.
Can see the whole feed situation being sticky this year as no one could realistically allow for this short of a summer :scratchhead::scratchhead:

They fended for them selves for three days . The first shed was built in the late 90`s ,before I was married and could afford to have it manufactured and hot dipped , the second one I bought the steel sand blasted and primed and I made it my self and painted it with brush , then with two brothers and two brothers in law erected it in 06 ,a grant was collected on both . The E grading Aubracs are hiding behind those miserable U grading Charlasis :tt2: I only see one the red chap left of the upright but there should be more .

7-4-2012_024.jpg

7-4-2012_012-1.jpg

7-4-2012_001-6.jpg

DSCN7022.jpg

DSCN6950.jpg

DSCN6444.jpg

How many men were employed on the farm in those days @Bog Man?
In the 50,s there were five but it ended up four two sets of brothers . One of the men came for six weeks but ended up staying 35 years until the woodbines finally got him . He had worked driving Steam engines doing threshings and hated them with a vengance and said anybody that worked with them would never go look at them on a Sunday .

In the 50,s there were five but it ended up four two sets of brothers . One of the men came for six weeks but ended up staying 35 years until the woodbines finally got him . He had worked driving Steam engines doing threshings and hated them with a vengance and said anybody that worked with them would never go look at them on a Sunday .

When did you last have livestock , which went first , the woolys or the cattle , and do you think they were a loss from a soil fertility /structure point of view ?

At one stage we had more than 400 ewes and after copper deficiency complications the Sheep went in 1977 and the ewes were sold at an average of £35 each . The last yard of cattle I fattened was in 1996 . I had cattle after that for a few years wintering them on setaside and roundbales and selling them as hairy cattle in the mart in the spring . The last permanent employee left in 1986.

Did you sell the Tombstone Barriers to Diesel Powers Uncle ? They still use them in that yard.
Farmers were able to buy farms from the profits made farming back in those days , with outwintering etc. I know stocking rate etc was poor , but we are chasing our tails to stay in the same financial position. Plenty of familys reared on 20 cows and less, with no wife working . Now you would need 100 + to as far on , with the associated extra land , sheds , fertilizer , not to mention work involved.

Did you sell the Tombstone Barriers to Diesel Powers Uncle ? They still use them in that yard.
Farmers were able to buy farms from the profits made farming back in those days , with outwintering etc. I know stocking rate etc was poor , but we are chasing our tails to stay in the same financial position. Plenty of familys reared on 20 cows and less, with no wife working . Now you would need 100 + to as far on , with the associated extra land , sheds , fertilizer , not to mention work involved.
Steel barriers here jf. The lads here would make short work of those timber ones.

Back