Home PC ? Which one

Mayo man

Lads looking to buy a PC , maybe spend around a 1000 euro , like it to be handy for transferring pictures , web use , gaming. And plenty of memory , but last thing I want is it to be out of date in a month !! Windows operating system a must .

Its not what you have asked but why have you narrowed it down to a PC?

Would a laptop suit you better?

Just throwing it out there.

What sort of gaming will you be doing? Both now and in the future? That'll be the thing what really drives the spec you need. As nash says, would a laptop suit? You could always
hook it up to a monitor for the desktop experience. If going for a desktop make sure you can upgrade individual components down the line.

My old desktop is on it's last legs. I'm completely out of touch with all this modern technology these days, what numbers for processor speed, memory, hard drive etc should I be looking for in a replacement? All I want is something for browsing the internet, ranting on here, doing a few accounts and paperwork, ranting on here, youtube videos for the kids and ranting on here. Is Windows 10 any use or should I stick with 7? I've been using a succession of Dell laptops since about 1992 and I don't like change :no:

look for 8gb ram, 2gb is the minimum and barely usable 4gb is bog standard and 8gb gives you room for running big applications or streaming movies. look for at least dual core and 4ghz cpu. make sure you have usb 3.0 or flash drives will take forever to load files. aim for at least 1tb of hdd, 4 tb across two drives (2tb each) for backups will save your files. intels processors are cheaper on electricity but other than that no difference. stick with 7 or run linux ubuntu like I do. for a screen buy at least 1920x1080 16:9 ratio in 24 inch or greater. built in video card should be okay but dual monitors are ideal for watching videos and multitasking, in which case you will need an aftermarket card like an nvidia gtx660.

What's your budget @Tippcon?

You could get a decent secondhand desktop for under 100 euro that would do all you need and more for years.

If you want to go new you'd be looking at a few hundred euro minimum.

look for 8gb ram, 2gb is the minimum and barely usable 4gb is bog standard and 8gb gives you room for running big applications or streaming movies. look for at least dual core and 4ghz cpu. make sure you have usb 3.0 or flash drives will take forever to load files. aim for at least 1tb of hdd, 4 tb across two drives (2tb each) for backups will save your files. intels processors are cheaper on electricity but other than that no difference. stick with 7 or run linux ubuntu like I do. for a screen buy at least 1920x1080 16:9 ratio in 24 inch or greater. built in video card should be okay but dual monitors are ideal for watching videos and multitasking, in which case you will need an aftermarket card like an nvidia gtx660.

Thanks for that. I can't see myself streaming movies or TV on it to be honest, my needs are basic it's just the one I have has gone very slow and I already gave a lad €150 to upgrade it a couple of years ago. The monitor I have will do fine, all I want is a new tower.

What's your budget @Tippcon?

You could get a decent secondhand desktop for under 100 euro that would do all you need and more for years.

If you want to go new you'd be looking at a few hundred euro minimum.

I bought the current one new in 2003, it doesn't owe me anything at this stage so I wouldn't mind going new again depending on price.

would not buy a pc for any price, go for a laptop once you get used to it you will never go back to a pc

would not buy a pc for any price, go for a laptop once you get used to it you will never go back to a pc
I have a Toshiba laptop since 2008, it is also nearly deceased. I wouldn't buy another one for what I want a computer for.

Tippcon, what are you using the pc for that a laptop will not do easier ?
The only thing a laptop will do easier is move around. My computer stays in the same place all the time, beside the printer and the filing cabinet and everything else I need. I don't like the keyboard on a laptop, I find it uncomfortable. The monitor I have for the desktop is bigger than a laptop screen and I can sit further away from it.

The only thing a laptop will do easier is move around. My computer stays in the same place all the time, beside the printer and the filing cabinet and everything else I need. I don't like the keyboard on a laptop, I find it uncomfortable. The monitor I have for the desktop is bigger than a laptop screen and I can sit further away from it.

Ok, no further comment then :oops2::scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

I can understand why Tippcon wants a desktop, I hadnt used one in years but bought one s/h about 6 months ago to stick in the 'office' (for want of a better word)
I like it tbh, i'd forgotten that a normal 'mouse' is nicer to use than the laptop pad, and its also handy that the printer is always connected. (and a desktop cant go walkabout like a laptop)
I bought a Dell, and while its no spring chicken, it works the finest and came with office.

I can understand why Tippcon wants a desktop, I hadnt used one in years but bought one s/h about 6 months ago to stick in the 'office' (for want of a better word)
I like it tbh, i'd forgotten that a normal 'mouse' is nicer to use than the laptop pad, and its also handy that the printer is always connected. (and a desktop cant go walkabout like a laptop)
I bought a Dell, and while its no spring chicken, it works the finest and came with office.

I often hook my laptop to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, for the exact reasons you mention.

I often hook my laptop to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, for the exact reasons you mention.
Lap top and a note book here, use them with a USB mouse, scroll wheel is good for running through stuff. Sometimes it's handy to be able to move them to different locations, I do accounts on an old Acer laptop running XP, then leave it with the accountant for a few weeks.

If you are looking new and are happy with dell machines, something like this would suit:

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3650-desktop/pd?oc=cd65014&model_id=inspiron-3650-desktop

It's capable of streaming movies and all that too and should last you years with what you want it for.
Never did any more about it at the time and I'm as good as computer-less at this stage as the desktop won't connect to the internet and the laptop will only load the odd website every now and again if it feels like it. The model above is no longer available, what's the current alternative?

I bought a small cheap laptop/notebook. It's really small which fits ideal between my tum and steering wheel. Not while driving!!
But on my desk, I plug in a 24 inch screen, wireless mouse and keyboard. Best of all worlds.

But mine tbh is too small in memory, and doesn't run all applications properly. But I love its size.

Back