TB test rules

Probably more messing around, does the 20% rule restrict you just in selling side or also on the purchasing side?

Don't want to be going to the Mart and waving the hand and then the computer says no!!:blushing:

Have you gone over 20% rule yet, usually an animal way out of date is the indicator?

No not way over. Don't mind being restricted to selling to the factory only but do mind if they stop us buying.

I had thought it was only on selling myself but wanted to make sure.

Well that's the reading done, all going well until I heard the vet calling out "hold her I'll have to measure her" so that put a bit of a damper on the day. I will have to retest her in 6weeks

Well that's the reading done, all going well until I heard the vet calling out "hold her I'll have to measure her" so that put a bit of a damper on the day. I will have to retest her in 6weeks

Sorry to hear that.

I'm not fond enough of any of my cattle to wait 6 weeks for a retest. I'd let he off to the factory straight away for fear that if she has it, she'd spread it to some of the other animals over the 6 weeks.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm not fond enough of any of my cattle to wait 6 weeks for a retest. I'd let he off to the factory straight away for fear that if she has it, she'd spread it to some of the other animals over the 6 weeks.
If you cull a ir then i think its still a 60 day lockkdown and retest

If you cull a ir then i think its still a 60 day lockkdown and retest

I have done it over here in the past. If the animal went to the factory and showed leisions then you are locked up, but if she was clear then there was no lockdown. It has changed to a 6 week lockdown since, but I'd rather have the animal gone than to spread it to others.

I had a cow during the summer with the same story, I decided too hold onto her and retest after 42 days, she was clear the second test but she'll have to go to the factory when culled. The amount of nonsense when keeping her would put you off, seperate her from the rest of the herd and milk her seperately and dump her milk. They won't tell you where to dump the milk though :rolleyes2:

I had a cow during the summer with the same story, I decided too hold onto her and retest after 42 days, she was clear the second test but she'll have to go to the factory when culled. The amount of nonsense when keeping her would put you off, seperate her from the rest of the herd and milk her seperately and dump her milk. They won't tell you where to dump the milk though :rolleyes2:

I had a cow went down with tb in 2015. I had bought her incalf only 2 months previously and she had a calf while with me.
I have to say that I was very happy with the compensation that I got for her and the whole process of getting her send off and getting paid was very simple. I remember saying to myself that if she had have been inconclusive, it would not have been worth the hassle of keeping her.

Sorry to hear that.

I can see your point but if I factory her now and if she is positive I get locked up straight away,but if I retest I will have some calves sold by the time of a retest,I just don't have the space for everything! It's a gamble but so is life

I can see your point but if I factory her now and if she is positive I get locked up straight away,but if I retest I will have some calves sold by the time of a retest,I just don't have the space for everything! It's a gamble but so is life
are you sure you can sell while waiting for the retest?, dept will do the retest and he,ll have the tagger in his pocket so he won,t have to walk back to his car

are you sure you can sell while waiting for the retest?, dept will do the retest and he,ll have the tagger in his pocket so he won,t have to walk back to his car
Ya I'd say I can as all cards were given back to me it's just I can never sell her in the mart ever, only the factory for her

I had thought the only selling you can do is to a factory and certainly not farm to farm or via a Mart.

Certainly you are not allowed buy either.

That was the case three years ago anyway.

As nash said only selling you can do is to the factory . Your essentley locked up as there `s really no such thing now as a doubtful to the best of my knowledge . Locked up here at home since last september had a bullock with a leason in the factory . You can still buy cattle alright but you have to test after you get the notification of the leason in the factory to prove your herd is clear . This allow`s you to buy cattle on a permit at a limit of sixty cattle before you must apply for another one . Mind you are still waiting for the sample of the animal with the leason to come back negative to have clear status . In the case here we got notified that the leason was positive on the same day that we passed the herd test . So still had 2 more clear test`s to do .
Ya I'd say I can as all cards were given back to me it's just I can never sell her in the mart ever, only the factory for her

I had thought the only selling you can do is to a factory and certainly not farm to farm or via a Mart.

Certainly you are not allowed buy either.

That was the case three years ago anyway.

As nash said only selling you can do is to the factory . Your essentley locked up as there `s really no such thing now as a doubtful to the best of my knowledge . Locked up here at home since last september had a bullock with a leason in the factory . You can still buy cattle alright but you have to test after you get the notification of the leason in the factory to prove your herd is clear . This allow`s you to buy cattle on a permit at a limit of sixty cattle before you must apply for another one . Mind you are still waiting for the sample of the animal with the leason to come back negative to have clear status . In the case here we got notified that the leason was positive on the same day that we passed the herd test . So still had 2 more clear test`s to do .
i was locked up this year and i sold some cattle to a farmer that had a feedlot permit as he was also locked up, both of us had our second clear test in december and we thought we were ok for 6 mths until our first check test but he is still restricted until my cattle are slaughtered out of his herd despite they having been tested twice in his herd:sad:, half the staff in the dept don,t know what,s going on as the rules keep changing and staff keep being moved to other depts taking years of experience with them

i was locked up this year and i sold some cattle to a farmer that had a feedlot permit as he was also locked up, both of us had our second clear test in december and we thought we were ok for 6 mths until our first check test but he is still restricted until my cattle are slaughtered out of his herd despite they having been tested twice in his herd:sad:, half the staff in the dept don,t know what,s going on as the rules keep changing and staff keep being moved to other depts taking years of experience with them
We got untold hardship and hassle not to mention threatening letters a few years ago from the dept of Ag. Fortunately we kept all the correspondence. It took 6 mths if memory serves before they eventually got off their arses and sorted out their own mess. It took the threat of legal action. No apology to us or compensation for undue stress and strain and 2 bad reactors been left on the farm for months. The odd thing is every year since their sending us letters constantly changing when our annual test is due and up to this year not allowing our vet to do it instead sending out one of their own. Makes no great odds tbh once the test is done while the cattle are in the yards. Pack of bas*ards the lot of them.

Allowing a herdowner to buy when locked up is news to me. That wasn't the case three years ago anyway.

The 'reactor' here was slaughtered here within the week yet the final results didn't come back until the day we did the retest two months later :rolleyes2:

Allowing a herdowner to buy when locked up is news to me. That wasn't the case three years ago anyway.

The 'reactor' here was slaughtered here within the week yet the final results didn't come back until the day we did the retest two months later :rolleyes2:
In 2011 when I was locked up with TB you could buy then as well but to the best of my memory there was one or two conditions like if that animal failed a test while you were locked no compensation would be paid for them.

In 2011 when I was locked up with TB you could buy then as well but to the best of my memory there was one or two conditions like if that animal failed a test while you were locked no compensation would be paid for them.

That's what I was told as well , and have been locked up 3 times since May 14. Also , my understanding of it was you had to have had 1 clear test , before they will give you a permit to buy in stock.
I wanted to buy a couple of Fr heifers and couldn't proceed.

That's what I was told as well , and have been locked up 3 times since May 14. Also , my understanding of it was you had to have had 1 clear test , before they will give you a permit to buy in stock.
I wanted to buy a couple of Fr heifers and couldn't proceed.
Up to the past few years you could get a permit off the dept to buy in cattle when locked up without having a clear test first. Then some bright spark decided to make life harder and you have to be clear in a test to get the same permit and once that permit is got there's no compensation for any cattle bought in on it.

Up to the past few years you could get a permit off the dept to buy in cattle when locked up without having a clear test first. Then some bright spark decided to make life harder and you have to be clear in a test to get the same permit and once that permit is got there's no compensation for any cattle bought in on it.

would I be right in saying if you have feedlot status you don't need a permit? I know a place i do work in has feedlot status and has been locked up near enough permently this last few years!! which is a laugh as he only buys cattle in the spring and has them all killed off grass by the back end so there's 2/3 months every year where there isn't a beast on the farm!! he wouldn't have the same bunch of cattle on the farm long enough to get two clear tests!!

would I be right in saying if you have feedlot status you don't need a permit? I know a place i do work in has feedlot status and has been locked up near enough permently this last few years!! which is a laugh as he only buys cattle in the spring and has them all killed off grass by the back end so there's 2/3 months every year where there isn't a beast on the farm!! he wouldn't have the same bunch of cattle on the farm long enough to get two clear tests!!
Your correct. I've often said it's ridiculous for finishers having to test at all considering those same cattle are tested when their killed in the factory and the farmer is paying for that again. The last time we were locked up here we were on the second round of totally different cattle before coming clear. In fairness it's a bit stupid applying a test to a completely different herd of cattle to come clear iykwim?.

Your correct. I've often said it's ridiculous for finishers having to test at all considering those same cattle are tested when their killed in the factory and the farmer is paying for that again. The last time we were locked up here we were on the second round of totally different cattle before coming clear. In fairness it's a bit stupid applying a test to a completely different herd of cattle to come clear iykwim?.
Mine are tested 2x in 12 month and on the hook:sneaky:pita

Back