TB test rules

Your correct. I've often said it's ridiculous for finishers having to test at all considering those same cattle are tested when their killed in the factory and the farmer is paying for that again. The last time we were locked up here we were on the second round of totally different cattle before coming clear. In fairness it's a bit stupid applying a test to a completely different herd of cattle to come clear iykwim?.

Thats my point! The man i was speaking about had a few cattle this winter but last year for example he hadnt a beast on the farm for 3 months, yet when he startet buying in the spring he was still locked up! Its some racket!!

Your correct. I've often said it's ridiculous for finishers having to test at all considering those same cattle are tested when their killed in the factory and the farmer is paying for that again. The last time we were locked up here we were on the second round of totally different cattle before coming clear. In fairness it's a bit stupid applying a test to a completely different herd of cattle to come clear iykwim?.

Fed up saying the same thing here for years. In a few weeks, we will test and in less than a month, most of that bunch will have been slaughtered.

All of the above on buying in is correct, I had a look through some of the old correspondence here on it.

would I be right in saying if you have feedlot status you don't need a permit? I know a place i do work in has feedlot status and has been locked up near enough permently this last few years!! which is a laugh as he only buys cattle in the spring and has them all killed off grass by the back end so there's 2/3 months every year where there isn't a beast on the farm!! he wouldn't have the same bunch of cattle on the farm long enough to get two clear tests!!

Not sure if it's the same over there,
But here in England "you" be a red holding, chap not too far away from here finishes cattle, he would have 1200-1400 cattle about his place , he it TB registered , to the end that he can buy cattle from "any where"
So we can sell him beef cattle that have no pre movement testing, he can buy from a RED TB market, , obviously any thing he buys from a normal market is or has been pre movement tested within 60 days,
BUT he is only allowed to sell direct to slaughter house, (which he does any way" ) , I reckon he's sending 100-125 or so cattle to house every week,

Just to update ye on my retest of my cow,tested her Fri and read her today and thank God she got the all clear.it was a bit of a worry but pressure off now

Good stuff, I'm sure with calving in full swing it helps now to get a few off farm.

Good stuff, I'm sure with calving in full swing it helps now to get a few off farm.
Ya I had been offloading everything I could the last few weeks just in case she went down but it was great to have got the all clear

One of the herds here was restricted until a couple of weeks ago even though there has been no animal in it since october.

If i cleared out the yard fully i was told i would be clear in 30 days

Coz im sending some ir's fat i have to wait 60 days from them going till next test

I cant buy in until the results of the next test are know

I cant rent a shed on a different holding to buy a few to keep turnover going

Department must be changing the rules again. Slaughtered a bunch on Friday, got a call yesterday to say the herd was restricted for farm to farm and mart sales. Everything must go to the factory. Over 20% of the herd are out of test.

That's all fine with me but said we can buy away. News to me.
https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2010/april/title,41953,en.html

:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:
nope, thats the way it has always been, maybe just not implemented by your DVO

Back