Ithastopay's pictures.

ithastopay

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
This was spring wheat in 2016, it was wholecroped, the farmer intended reseeding it in September but weather didn't allow, good bit of tidying up done, ran the disc around the hedges to leave it a bit easier to plough, it's going into winter wheat, again it will be pitted for his own feeding and reseeded next summer.

Last edited:
View attachment 40559good bit of tidying up done, ran the disc around the hedges to leave it a bit easier to plough, it's going into winter wheat, again it will be pitted for his own feeding and reseeded next summer.

By god, I wouldnt like to have seen it before the tidy up as there is still 5 of waste along the ditches. Some lads have too much land

By god, I wouldnt like to have seen it before the tidy up as there is still 5 of waste along the ditches. Some lads have too much land
We have found the verge trimmer a great machine for tidying up around the ditches and it has cut our hedge cutting bill in half .

God bless your eye sight.
Jasus if you didnt work the ditches here would be well pissed off, or average field size is about 5-6ac so most our fields are headlands. Watching the lads in neighbor county and I don't know why they have hedges as they work on top of the hedges

4 to 5M waste around those two fields for years. It was tidied up this year, I'm not going to use the cab of the tractor or the mirrors as a hedge cutter. If it's full of scutch grass and over hanging branches and other objects, that's a job for the digger.

Last edited:
lovely colour in the soil, not a stone to be seen either.

I'm sure another year of tilling will work wonders on that ground.

Were the margins from previous schemes or just no hedgecutting ithastopay?

Would I be right in thinking that the indices and pH would be nothing to write home about either then?

Lovely looking clay though :Thumbp2:

I don't like this foggy weather, how are the rest of ye getting on with pneumonia?View attachment 40952 View attachment 40950
Hardy bit of a night, drove home through a freezing fog. Visibility was very poor.

Got me "eye" out for the pneaumonia when we do cattle in the morning,, we've had it cold n frosty here and as you k ow they bugs drop out the roof,,

You wouldn't of drove home in the freezing fog in our old JD 2140... It were that cold the diesel tank in front the rad fan would o gone waxy,,,,

Last edited:
@jay gatsby.
Thanks, we try to keep things half right, lots of people comment on the great airy shed, it has its advantages, though it can be a cold shed at times.
Touch wood this has been a good winter for us, we have only injected one heifer.
I hope I don't regret saying that.

@jay gatsby.
Thanks, we try to keep things half right, lots of people comment on the great airy shed, it has its advantages, though it can be a cold shed at times.
Touch wood this has been a good winter for us, we have only injected one heifer.
I hope I don't regret saying that.
Would far rather be looking at stock and thinking I hope it's not too cold in there than wondering if its too warm

Would far rather be looking at stock and thinking I hope it's not too cold in there than wondering if its too warm

That's a good way of putting it.
Anyone know what the ideal temp is for cattle indoors?
Cattle can do very well indoors during the summer months, it's so much the high temp that can cause problems with pneumonia during the winter, it's air flow, keeping fresh air moving through the shed would surely be best, if I was going out to build a big new shed I would be investigating using fans to help with airflow.

Always admire that shed when you put up photos of it.

Does the bank help to shelter against the wind too? Or at least break it?

Always admire that shed when you put up photos of it.

Does the bank help to shelter against the wind too? Or at least break it?

Yeah it does help, though it's not much good if the wind is coming the other way..
Lots of ideas and dreams, in time, build a 4 bay tank with a straw bed area at the back and a cattle handling unit behind the straw area, further up the yard, the feed trough being inline with the current shed, the new shed would be a short distance away from the far end of the current shed, to allow for a loading area, the new shed would be ideal for a lairage area and for young stock, sick or lame cattle during the winter.
There will be a walkway at the back of the current shed, so cattle can be moved from the current shed to the handling unit by one person, mostly under roof, further to that we could go out further digging into that bank and build again, the walkway would service the existing shed and any further building.
It will be a slow process, indeed it might never happen.
If we don't have plans and a bit of ambition it will certainly never happen.

It's a bit of a triangle, I normally plough it first, it's still a bit wet, I'll be ploughing it last now before the headlands to give it more time to soak, we were in that farm last backend sowing oats, got one field done, ploughed a few runs in that field and then gave up.

Back