Fruit trees.

AYF

Have levelled out the end of the garden here.
Plan is to plant an auchard.
A mix of Apple. Pear and Plum trees.
Allong with mountain ash and Hazel as a wind break round the sides.

Any advice?
What time of year is best to plant?
Do I need to be thinking about doing things to the soil now for planting backend?

@Big Vern I know will have some knowledge given the fondness of cider and pruning!

I doubt it is to late to plant now, the spring time is probably the best time to plant.
Do you cook with apple, apple tarts etc? Maybe you should consider a mix of eating and cooking apple trees. I can get you the name of a nice eating apple tree later on.
I would advise you to buy the trees in a good garden centre, I see neighbours with ones from the likes of Aldi or Lidl and they would be poor enough.
Maybe consider a Raspberry and Gooseberry bush as well, it would extend the season a bit because you will have a glut of apples, pears and plums all at the one time

As said get a mix of cooking and eating apple trees. Bramley apple tree is a must. Nicest apple tarts and pies with them imo. Any fruit trees like a bit of shelter especially when in blossom. A north or easterly wind with a good bite to it kills the blossoms and without those you won't have fruit.

We have about 30 apple trees in here. They are in about 4 years now and honestly this is the first year that they have really taken off. We did have some apples over the last 3 years, but the trees themselves have really thickened up this year and I'm hopeful of a good crop. We have a good mix of eating (summer Red) and cooking (Bramley) apples. We apply plenty of rotted manure every year and we have each tree stayed.
We bought them from these guys:

http://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/

I think that they recommend that apple trees are best planted in November, but they can be planted right up to the end of March.

Reactions: AYF
I am planing a mix of cookers and eating. Not looked into exact breeds yet.
Excess fruit shouldnt be a problem. Have pleanty of familly in the area! Ha.
Plus have half a mind that the little miss can sell some to get a business nouse in her. Her Grandfather has already announced that she 'will' be keeping chickens to sell eggs!!
I used to sell firewood in school!

Wonder would it be worth just planting shelter trees now and thinking about fruit trees next year?
We don't usually get cold winds during blossom as we are fairly coastal. But can be strong winds.

Last edited:
Have levelled out the end of the garden here.
Plan is to plant an auchard.
A mix of Apple. Pear and Plum trees.
Allong with mountain ash and Hazel as a wind break round the sides.

Any advice?
What time of year is best to plant?
Do I need to be thinking about doing things to the soil now for planting backend?

@Big Vern I know will have some knowledge given the fondness of cider and pruning!

Now then we're do we start ,

Sounds like you've a plan of a sound mix of fruit, you defiantly want a couple of Bramleys in the also, ,
Don't "just go and buy your trees,,," speak to a professional and get an opinion on what root stock will be best for your soil type, growing area, your only going to plant them once,,
Each tree will want staking, and tying, and will want a wire mesh guard, put the guard on about a minute after you plant it else the wild life will be barking it ,,,
How many trees will be I. Your orchard,
You want about 18" between your rows and 9 " between your trees, ideally plant them in straight lines,, it makes topping, and generally moving up n down the rows easier,,
We buy 2 year old trees and tend to plant late January earl Feb, you can plant up till April any later than that and the tree will miss blossoming etc, , "normal soil prep will suffice, if you've only a few dig each hole with a spade any more than 10-15 you
L want a hole maker the shine will soon wear off,, firm them in well,

Just leave the first year, then next year prune the tips so you have one leader, any thing below guard height cut off, and shake off any apples for the first 2-3 years, you want the tree growing "tree" not fruit, they shake of easiest about mid July early August, plus it stops the weight of fruit breaking the small growing branches,

Now then we're do we start ,

Sounds like you've a plan of a sound mix of fruit, you defiantly want a couple of Bramleys in the also, ,
Don't "just go and buy your trees,,," speak to a professional and get an opinion on what root stock will be best for your soil type, growing area, your only going to plant them once,,
Each tree will want staking, and tying, and will want a wire mesh guard, put the guard on about a minute after you plant it else the wild life will be barking it ,,,
How many trees will be I. Your orchard,
You want about 18" between your rows and 9 " between your trees, ideally plant them in straight lines,, it makes topping, and generally moving up n down the rows easier,,
We buy 2 year old trees and tend to plant late January earl Feb, you can plant up till April any later than that and the tree will miss blossoming etc, , "normal soil prep will suffice, if you've only a few dig each hole with a spade any more than 10-15 you
L want a hole maker the shine will soon wear off,, firm them in well,

Just leave the first year, then next year prune the tips so you have one leader, any thing below guard height cut off, and shake off any apples for the first 2-3 years, you want the tree growing "tree" not fruit, they shake of easiest about mid July early August, plus it stops the weight of fruit breaking the small growing branches,
The wind and hail sorted the fruit off my tree for me:eek3:

He'd be nearly in your parish I'd reckon,, he'll sort you right out
No he's up just to the right of Chester somewhere. Quite a distance really.

Going to get looking into planting something for shelter.
Then get on the fruit trees.
As mentioned above. You only plant once!

I doubt it is to late to plant now, the spring time is probably the best time to plant.
Do you cook with apple, apple tarts etc? Maybe you should consider a mix of eating and cooking apple trees. I can get you the name of a nice eating apple tree later on.
I would advise you to buy the trees in a good garden centre, I see neighbours with ones from the likes of Aldi or Lidl and they would be poor enough.
Maybe consider a Raspberry and Gooseberry bush as well, it would extend the season a bit because you will have a glut of apples, pears and plums all at the one time

@AYF I got the name of that apple tree for you, it is called Discovery

Good man.

@Big Vern how important is keeping the grass under the trees in check? Is it mostly making things easier for harvesting machinery?

We spray the strips under the trees 3-4 times a year to keep them weed free, helps a great deal when sweeping apples out , also it stops all the "crap " growing up the trees EG bind weed or stingers,,,
We also top the grass at least 5 times, it gets like a jungle other wise,, makes harvest impossible and you get all manner of crap in with the apples, which then leads to a price reduction,,
I suppose it's also a keeping it tidy job,, just have a Clanky boy of chain dragging of the weight frame, scares the cats out of the grass,, the locals get a bit miffed if you zap em with the topper,,

@AYF I got the name of that apple tree for you, it is called Discovery
Discovery is a lovely red eating apple, we also planted Katy apple trees in between them. Shiny red apples with a pink flesh throughout.
Used to cut corn years ago in a field on a combine with no cab, there were both varieties of apples hanging out in the field at harvest time.
I'd have my pockets and belly full going home that day.
MF30

@Big Vern Can you give any tips about pruning apple trees?

We have about 30 trees in their 4th year. There is a massive crop of apples on them this year. One tree has so many that its branches have spread and fallen under the weight (Branches are not cracked or broken). I'm thinking that if these branches had been pruned properly then this issue would not arise and the trees could be trained to produce a good crop annually?

@Big Vern Can you give any tips about pruning apple trees?

We have about 30 trees in their 4th year. There is a massive crop of apples on them this year. One tree has so many that its branches have spread and fallen under the weight (Branches are not cracked or broken). I'm thinking that if these branches had been pruned properly then this issue would not arise and the trees could be trained to produce a good crop annually?

Mmmm pruning, you really want to be pruning from November to end of Feb, you want to have one distinct leader going straight up, anything below mid thigh height wants to come off, we shake all the apples off our trees in the 3 red year, sometimes the 4th if tree looks slim, it can seem a bit " hard" but if you have sleight trees the weight of the apples can bow em all down and rip off branches,, I've started shaking off our new trees now so that the tree will grow the "tree" and not put effort into fruit,
Don't prune in the rain, the rain washes the "sap" of the cuts and you encourage disease into the wound, and you get wet,,,,
Also some apple trees crop well every other year, so you can have loads this year and not many next year,
In general when your pruning cut off anything that "sticks" out, and as the tree gets bigger, remember that big thick wood doesn't grow Apple,

Mmmm pruning, you really want to be pruning from November to end of Feb, you want to have one distinct leader going straight up, anything below mid thigh height wants to come off, we shake all the apples off our trees in the 3 red year, sometimes the 4th if tree looks slim, it can seem a bit " hard" but if you have sleight trees the weight of the apples can bow em all down and rip off branches,, I've started shaking off our new trees now so that the tree will grow the "tree" and not put effort into fruit,
Don't prune in the rain, the rain washes the "sap" of the cuts and you encourage disease into the wound, and you get wet,,,,
Also some apple trees crop well every other year, so you can have loads this year and not many next year,
In general when your pruning cut off anything that "sticks" out, and as the tree gets bigger, remember that big thick wood doesn't grow Apple,

Thanks for that. the plan is to prune around Christmas time. They are my father's project really. He planted them on a corner of my field that was divided when I built the roadway to my house. He brings FYM to them every year. But none of us have knowledge of pruning. So we will give it a go and see how they turn out.

Hopefully the trees will hold up for this year and we might be able to make some cider.

Thanks for that. the plan is to prune around Christmas time. They are my father's project really. He planted them on a corner of my field that was divided when I built the roadway to my house. He brings FYM to them every year. But none of us have knowledge of pruning. So we will give it a go and see how they turn out.

Hopefully the trees will hold up for this year and we might be able to make some cider.

When you get round to pulping your apples, try and lay your hands on a few eating apples and some Bramleys they'll make it taste grand , good luck

Plenty of fruit here this year. If the wasps leave any that is. Got about 25 tree fulls like below. Wonder if there's an opening in the market...
MF30
20170818_160927.jpg
20170818_160911.jpg
20170818_160927.jpg
20170818_160911.jpg
20170818_091249.jpg

Back