Which twin rotor rake

20ft Fella was €16500 plus VAT last year so I doubt a Claas is cheaper

whats the general opinion on kv rakes? never see many about round here. was looking at a 9580C the other day. seemed fairly well built I thought and reasonably narrow on the road.

whats the general opinion on kv rakes? never see many about round here. was looking at a 9580C the other day. seemed fairly well built I thought and reasonably narrow on the road.
Just have to watch with being narrow on the road makes them less stable both on the road and in field when working on side banks with one rotor lifted

Just have to watch with being narrow on the road makes them less stable both on the road and in field when working on side banks with one rotor lifted

Never thought of it like that. Current 2600 lifts a wheel pretty easily. Does the kv leave a nice row?

A careful local man had 2 kv rakes bought new and snapping arms was a problem on both
I had 2 KV rakes over the years, a 9178 and a 9184, the 9178 was a good reliable rake slightly let down by the tine arm attachment method which was prone to wear, the 9184 was a troublesome rake and I got rid of it for a Claas after 3 seasons, TBH I wouldn't have another KV.

When I think of claas equipment I think of poor quality overpriced stuff!! I've never had any claas product and I wonder why I have such a negative view of that company? At the same time on here it looks like they are, dare I say it the "Mchales" of raking equipment. When u buy a trailed rake what are the essential features and the really nice to have features (if u could afford them) to have? Just interested to know. Now come on ye wexicans!! Can they turn the game around!!

When I think of claas equipment I think of poor quality overpriced stuff!! I've never had any claas product and I wonder why I have such a negative view of that company? At the same time on here it looks like they are, dare I say it the "Mchales" of raking equipment. When u buy a trailed rake what are the essential features and the really nice to have features (if u could afford them) to have? Just interested to know. Now come on ye wexicans!! Can they turn the game around!!

I would have a view on class too, their marketing has been excellent over the years, how good is a class rake I don't know, as for features, we have a krone with hydraulic width adjustment and height control from the cab

Local lad had a kuhn 6301 (20 foot) and upgraded this year to a claas 2600 .Claas is a lot stronger and more robust and able to take more abuse .I think there are few enough grease nipples on the claas where it would almost take a couple of hours to grease the kuhn .Nearly every new rake sold locally is a claas and i think they have increased in price by 1k this year!!!!

Hydraulic width adjustment I assume allows you to determine how much grass goes into the row? Why are some people forced to take 30 ft first time and then 20 thereafter? Is it because they do not have that feature. How many rotors typically should a rake have? What size wheels? Are the main wheels different in size from the Ones under the rotors? What is height control about?

Hydraulic width adjustment I assume allows you to determine how much grass goes into the row? Why are some people forced to take 30 ft first time and then 20 thereafter? Is it because they do not have that feature. How many rotors typically should a rake have? What size wheels? Are the main wheels different in size from the Ones under the rotors? What is height control about?

most do have hyd width adjustment. the reason for taking 3 swards first time is that a lot of rakes people buy are over 7m at their narrowest setting so have no choice but to take 3 first but driving offset after this can take 2 rows ie 20ft of grass. personally I can't see how you can get an even row which is critical for a baler I'd have thought.

There is no rake made that is a one size fits all scenarios, if you have hydraulic width adjustment all it allows is to adjust the raking width and consequently the row width on the move, 2 rotors is the ideal particularly for a baler or wagon as raking the stuff a second time tends to make it a bit harder in the row and a bit less forgiving when picking up, small wheels under the rotor take a hammering on less than perfect fields as they pick up every imperfection but afaik most rakes run on similar wheels with the exception of recent Krones that use a slightly bigger wheel, height control is the setting for how close the tines run to the ground, once set to the right position it should need little adjustment.

So if u know u want to put two 10ft swards together and now and again, u get a client that has shook out the awards and want to put the two shook out swards back into one. Is there a cheap and cheerful mounted or trailed rake to do that. Or do u still need hyd width and height adj, steering axel etc? Or are u better buy the all singing all dancing rake with all mod features so u have a machine that does anything u throw at it and perhaps the cost of such is not that much above the basic bog std rake. A lot of questions ther!! Thanks.

I think you should look at the lely rotunda if you don think you will not have a lot of acres to do .Seems to be a lot of clean ones coming up for sale at right money ,suppose it shows they are only a farmers machine but might be better start with one then worn out rake

So if u know u want to put two 10ft swards together and now and again, u get a client that has shook out the awards and want to put the two shook out swards back into one. Is there a cheap and cheerful mounted or trailed rake to do that. Or do u still need hyd width and height adj, steering axel etc? Or are u better buy the all singing all dancing rake with all mod features so u have a machine that does anything u throw at it and perhaps the cost of such is not that much above the basic bog std rake. A lot of questions ther!! Thanks.
For occasional use like you mention the likes of any 20 ft twin rotor rake in reasonable nick will do, Pottinger 620A or the like should be got for reasonable money and will do the job fine if you are prepared to set it up right and give it time to do the work.

Fransgard T6000 surely worth a look.

Coming near decision time on a new rake.
A massey branded fella is the cheapest.
Looks light but short and compact looking whether being short wheelbase is any disadvantage?
Next likely is a lely 715.ive seem a lely work and thought the rows very even.
Massey is 1350kg lely is1750kg.
It's almost 3k dearer but might hold value better then again starting dearer maybe not.
Similar width adjustment set up on both.

Looks light but short and compact looking whether being short wheelbase is any disadvantage?
It's almost 3k dearer but might hold value better then again starting dearer maybe not.

I thought you bought a krone?
What price is a krone?

The basic krone 640 is dearer and has no steering and narrow tyres which doesn't impress me.is around 17k.
Probably around 19k for decent spec

Is claas out of the question ?

Claas are pricey new and in my mind they are likely to have a lot done s/h as may harvester outfits run them

Back