Which twin rotor rake

If you were solely raking for a baler i presume you leave it to row up 2 ten foots ,will it catch the full 3 10 foot rows when adjusted to its widest for s.p.

If you were solely raking for a baler i presume you leave it to row up 2 ten foots ,will it catch the full 3 10 foot rows when adjusted to its widest for s.p.

it can catch 3 rows but that's when the man on the mower isn't working to capacity :wink:

For a 2600 to catch 3x10 fts they would have to be coming off the mower in tight rows, it'd be OK if cut bone dry and you weren't hoping for a bit of a wilt.

For baling adjusting the swath is an advantage.
In a light crop the row will be narrower than in a heavy crop so adjusting width to leave a nice row makes baling easier

For baling adjusting the swath is an advantage.
In a light crop the row will be narrower than in a heavy crop so adjusting width to leave a nice row makes baling easier
The row width is more dictated by the distance between the rotors than the crop density so once set to a suitable width whether mechanically or hydraulically should be fairly consistent, really light crops with a rake set out to maximum width will be more likely to have the bulk of the crop on the outsides of the row and very little in the centre.

The row width is more dictated by the distance between the rotors than the crop density so once set to a suitable width whether mechanically or hydraulically should be fairly consistent, really light crops with a rake set out to maximum width will be more likely to have the bulk of the crop on the outsides of the row and very little in the centre.
I row in with the 2900 at 8.4 only time I saw the advantage of adjusting the row was with the Kuhn if you left a wider row in a heavy crop it was less likely to trow grass back out of the row as it wasn't trying to fit as much in a small space

Euro inc.vat
I thought there would be more opinions on lely rakes.i understood they were well regarded but they mustn't be as popular as I thought

Second season with the lely 745 here, very happy with it.
Leaves a good row, and its easy ajusted, cleans the ground well even after a non-conditioner mower. No pulling string to lock or unlock from transport.

I added a pipe to its valve block this year to make it independent lifting and it's been a gift.

Euro inc.vat
I thought there would be more opinions on lely rakes.i understood they were well regarded but they mustn't be as popular as I thought
Have a 745 lely here at work get on very well with it nice straight rake very well built and a heavy rake . A tall rake though as tine`s cant be removed for transport .

I don't know what the model was but I looked at one a few years ago and there was plastic covers around the cam track with two screws holding them on and they all have to be removed to get at a grease nipple on each tine arm.
Older lely rakes used snap off the arms don't know if thats still a problem or not what kind of set up is the link for removing the tine arms? That seems to be an area prone to wear on rakes that its not robust enough.
Those cover`s would only be removed about twice a year to be greased a bit of a job all right but not too bad . The bearing carrier on the tine arm similar to what`s on the baler was a weak spot but has been beefed up the last few yrs and they give no bother now .

Second season with the lely 745 here, very happy with it.
Leaves a good row, and its easy ajusted, cleans the ground well even after a non-conditioner mower. No pulling string to lock or unlock from transport.

I added a pipe to its valve block this year to make it independent lifting and it's been a gift.
Is there not a black screw on the valve block on your rake that you adjust to set wether you want individual lift or simultaneous lift of the rotor`s

That's clean alright.looking 14k for it.
It was traded for a new lely as the claas was too wide on the road for narrow lanes apparently .have heard before about claas rakes wide on the road alright

Yea we have a lely 745 cd vario and we got out a class 2900 one day when we were busy raking hay and silage for two balers and raking second cut for the harvester. I collected the class and it was a wide rake compared to the lely. Was a much bigger machine behind you to. I know it's a wider rake but was told by the lad using it he would rather the lely to work. If we had it longer we probably get used to it. Reckon it be a 2700 we would get if we went class

Is there not a black screw on the valve block on your rake that you adjust to set wether you want individual lift or simultaneous lift of the rotor`s

Yes you're right there, you screw that in/out (can't rightly remember) and if you add the second pipe, then one spool lifts the left and another the right.. handy on the cross spool lever on the Same or Deutz, and not too bad on the m135 either.

Euro inc.vat
I bought one here in April and it's a great job. I rake for 3 different baling outfits and they love the rows. It leaves the fields spotless too.

Very easy to change the width of the rotors too. All ya have to do is move a pin when she is in the up position. Works with only one hydraulic connection as well so very simple.

It's very robust. I managed to hit a post with it on one of the first jobs and bent the rotor guard and an arm. Straightened the guard by pulling back into place with a rachet strap to a shed pillar and you would never know. Just removed the arm and straightened it with a hydraulic press and put it back on the rotor.

Local claas man said if that was his rake I would have lost about 3 arms and very hard to straighten an arm off a class as they are designed to snap off. He lost 7 off his rake from heavy grass on his 2900 on its first year. He reckoned the main frame and rear running gear is at least twice as robust as his claas.

Local contractor bought a massey rake this year too and the tines all look bent and it looks tatty. Could just be the operator but still doesn't look like it's gonna last long with him.

Attachments

• 20170523_232537.jpg
    20170523_232537.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 105
When rowing 10 foot rows do u you have to drive offset to avoid catching the third one @Reggie. As I said earlier I be seen a lely rake in tedded grass and thought the rows very neat.
According to 3 different mf dealers they have sold lots of them mf rakes in the last couple if years and everyone is happy but what else would they say.the fact that they weigh 1350kg as opposed to 1750 for a lely or similar concerns me tbh

When rowing 10 foot rows do u you have to drive offset to avoid catching the third one @Reggie. As I said earlier I be seen a lely rake in tedded grass and thought the rows very neat.
According to 3 different mf dealers they have sold lots of them mf rakes in the last couple if years and everyone is happy but what else would they say.the fact that they weigh 1350kg as opposed to 1750 for a lely or similar concerns me tbh
No I just rake whatever she takes which could be 2.5 10ft rows sometimes and she leaves the swarth the same as if 2 10ft rows were raked. The cam adjustment is the great thing on the lely as well. You set your swarth width and that stays the same no matter what you adjust the rotors too.

I don't think your too far from me. Take a spin up today if you wish as I've to a Bit of maintenance on the rake today and will have it on the tractor.

D
No I just rake whatever she takes which could be 2.5 10ft rows sometimes and she leaves the swarth the same as if 2 10ft rows were raked. The cam adjustment is the great thing on the lely as well. You set your swarth width and that stays the same no matter what you adjust the rotors too.

I don't think your too far from me. Take a spin up today if you wish as I've to a Bit of maintenance on the rake today and will have it on the tractor.

Do you still get a good even shaped bale taking 2.5 rows?
What model is your lely?

These are the rows
D

Do you still get a good even shaped bale taking 2.5 rows?
What model is your lely?
Yeah no problem at all. Swarth is left perfectly square. Its a 715CD

Attachments

• 20170724_192457.jpg
    20170724_192457.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 85
Those type of mounted rakes were discussed here lately.the gist was that they are high and heavy on three point linkage and hard on the headstock which all makes sense.
Also you are within 3k of a mounted rake so if going new it might be as well going all the way.
I was studying the entry level rake from kuhn at 1260kg,krone 1360 and mf/fella 1350kg
So it appears at entry level there isn't much in it.the next rake up in.all makes is around 1700kg and the smallest lely a 715 is similar

Do rakes usually have wide angle pto shafts at the tractor end?
Some I've seen don't anyway.
If have thought it a help

Do rakes usually have wide angle pto shafts at the tractor end?
Some I've seen don't anyway.
If have thought it a help
I'd have thought the end the wide angle was at would depend on the hitching setup, on the Claas the wide angle is at the rake end and the rake is hitched to the linkage, if a rake was hitched to a long drawbar it would probably be better to have the wide angle at the tractor.

Was baling a fair sized field in the last few days. Half of it mowed on Wednesday baled thursday out of 10' swaths.
Other half mowed Fri and baked Saturday raked 2x10 together.
I was driving both times.output increased 50% baling from the raked rows.
It was around 8 bales per acre and i was pushing on well in the 10' swaths but more easy going in the raked swaths

Back