Feed/meal silo with auger

marco

Priced up a few 10 ton meal bin silos with 6 inch auger at the ploughing, got quotes from Q mac, crowley and mc aree. Has anyone used these or anyone else? Will be used for bulk meal. So comments and suggestions welcome.

There`s both 6" and 4" auger`s on crowley bin`s at work . The 4" are fine for nut`s but very slow with meal . The 6" is the job for meal . Motor for the crowley auger`s is at the top of the auger . Where most of the others have the motor at the base of the auger . We`ve never had a motor give trouble but have had to replace the top housing and mounting`s bracket for the motor on the 6" . They were originally just painted but the replacement`s are galvanisied . The auger on the 6 has broken too but that was form normal ware . Auger would be used 7 day`s a week for nearly 6mth`s of the year putting out over a ton a day .
Priced up a few 10 ton meal bin silos with 6 inch auger at the ploughing, got quotes from Q mac, crowley and mc aree. Has anyone used these or anyone else? Will be used for bulk meal. So comments and suggestions welcome.

We have an 8 ton Crowley; can't fault it. I would certainly suggest getting one that can be filled by blown feed or tipping or auger. Or is blown only and limits what we put through until we decide to buy a big auger or utilise a smaller bin fed from the larger one.

I think a 6inch auger filler is extra €1800

The 6 inch auger is more expensive than the silo.!!! But yes I agree, if I go ahead it'll be a 6inch. Do it right, do it once.

Ah, but I think it's 30ft with hopper?
I said no way when we were ordering in that we could do something else cheaper!!
I could drill the hopper and insert an auger; but I'd need an auger with a bottom motor; tbh I'm not keen on drilling the tank; so I think I'll just buy a smaller hopper; swap them so the 8ton fills the smaller one.

The 6 inch auger is more expensive than the silo.!!! But yes I agree, if I go ahead it'll be a 6inch. Do it right, do it once.

Did you go for a 40 unit herringbone or bite the bullet and stick in the rotary?

Was going to use it to fill a diet feeder, its either that or concrete a shed and then I be swapping bucket and fork on the 3cx the whole time

Was going to use it to fill a diet feeder, its either that or concrete a shed and then I be swapping bucket and fork on the 3cx the whole time
shear bucket, crimp you barley and stick in the silage pit? Wholecrop you barley? Make better silage and fed no meal.

I think your just adding unneeded costs

Reactions: KJL
imo if i was buying any sized bin i would only buy a bin you could put straights in to either with a loader or better still a bin with a seperate hopper which you could tip half ton in to at the time and this hopper be augered in to bin
There is one you fill with loader here but probably pricey
http://www.condonengineering.ie/meal-bin/

Is ot for filling a mixer wagon?
I'd be looking at building some kind of small shed for blowing into. Much faster filling the wagon with a loader than an auger.

Saw someone on here with a system that allowed the blown air to escape and the feed fall out the bottom without going everywhere

That or maybe a bin with some kind of shelter underneath. Just let out some feed. Load it with the loader and put any excess back in the shelter.

Wouldn't be my area of expertise, but would concreting the floor of a shed not be a better long-term investment? Apart from having a shed that could have a variety of uses beyond feed it would give a lot more scope for handling different feedstuffs in the future, you could buy grain direct from a farmer and treat it on-farm for example. If you put up a bin not only is it a one-trick pony but you're also restricted to buying from a merchant who has the ability to blow the meal into it.

Wouldn't be my area of expertise, but would concreting the floor of a shed not be a better long-term investment? Apart from having a shed that could have a variety of uses beyond feed it would give a lot more scope for handling different feedstuffs in the future, you could buy grain direct from a farmer and treat it on-farm for example. If you put up a bin not only is it a one-trick pony but you're also restricted to buying from a merchant who has the ability to blow the meal into it.
You could get someone in with a mill n mix lorry but is more cost again

I don't think there is anyone this side of the water with that kind of setup .
Noone:blink::blink:

Guy come here every 2 weeks come winter
Can make pretty much any ration
Straw grinder,hammer mill,add molasses straights etc
Can suck n blow or elevator discharge

Noone:blink::blink:

Guy come here every 2 weeks come winter
Can make pretty much any ration
Straw grinder,hammer mill,add molasses straights etc
Can suck n blow or elevator discharge
How much per tonne as a matter of interest? Couldn't see much demand for it here, everything just gets thrown into the diet feeder and mix away. I seem to remember someone making a tractor-drawn mixer unit a few years back but it didn't seem to take off

I cut out enough blocks with the shear grab every morning and load everything with the front bucket. All the meal is tipped in a shed here. Ive thought about a bin here but the added costs of getting it blown in puts me off.

How much per tonne as a matter of interest? Couldn't see much demand for it here, everything just gets thrown into the diet feeder and mix away. I seem to remember someone making a tractor-drawn mixer unit a few years back but it didn't seem to take off
About £20/ton

I cut out enough blocks with the shear grab every morning and load everything with the front bucket. All the meal is tipped in a shed here. Ive thought about a bin here but the added costs of getting it blown in puts me off.

Just curious is it much dearer to get meal blown in rather than tipped in a shed/yard.

Back