At the mart...

Have stock taken a dip in value over the last week or so?i has my last load of weanlings in this week at less money than before.
On the other side I have a few 500kg bulls to sell and interest Is weak
Little or no farmers around the rings to buy cattle. I can think of a good few winter finishing lads that arent buying in cattle for the winter and these would all carry big numbers. At the prices paid over the last few weeks i would still consider cattle overpriced for winter finishing.
Hopefully the factory feedlots will pick up the slack to keep our supply up. They stole the finishers torn clothes so they have made their bed. I was always of the opinion that they should be encouraged to winter finish as many stock as possible as the ordinary farmer was at a hiding to nothing.
Farmers should be thankful for the small bit of shipping otherwise it would be woeful.

Sold some year and half whiteheads bullocks in the mart yesterday they averaged 2 euro per kg and were from 510 to 550 kg. I thought the trade was slightly better than the week before.

Good price for them @Mf240, they must have been nice square lads?

Sold some year and half whiteheads bullocks in the mart yesterday they averaged 2 euro per kg and were from 510 to 550 kg. I thought the trade was slightly better than the week before.

Ment to say I seen one of our members and cattle Barron buying a few smashers in the same Mart! I'd love to have a shed of them.

I wouldn't have thought they were that weight. Thankfully for you I was wrong. Talking to a local lad with dairy bred stock in it the Friday before. 515 520 kg FR bullocks feb16 born. Only 1 made €900. He was very dissapointed , but there was a pothole needed their proceeds tipped into it.

I wouldn't have thought they were that weight. Thankfully for you I was wrong. Talking to a local lad with dairy bred stock in it the Friday before. 515 520 kg FR bullocks feb16 born. Only 1 made €900. He was very dissapointed , but there was a pothole needed their proceeds tipped into it.

Were they fairly raw JF?

FRs Always are a fickle trade this time of the year. As a family friend says, you can Always be guaranteed that a FR will have his arse to the rain standing beside the gate on a wet day in autumn....

Were they fairly raw JF?

FRs Always are a fickle trade this time of the year. As a family friend says, you can Always be guaranteed that a FR will have his arse to the rain standing beside the gate on a wet day in autumn....
The owner would be as cute as they come. Needs must though.
"Come they may , But go they must ".
Forty something pens of bullocks in there Friday week. Time of year etc.
Well known fact , the dairy farmer ain't taking them home again this day of the year. I take lot 1 , you take lot 2 , he takes lot 3, we won't bid against one another.....

Unless they were at the better end of square type Friesan they might not be worth any more anywhere .did they average over 800?

I know you could ask the same question about any animal but would you be buying enough dead weight to cover the €850?

I have often thought that there would be a lot more chance of making money out of a fairly good FR , than some of the fear continental. You wouldn't get many kg of fancy Ch for €850. Not the same buzz looking at a field of Fr's. Doesent pay the bills though.

I have often thought that there would be a lot more chance of making money out of a fairly good FR , than some of the fear continental. You wouldn't get many kg of fancy Ch for €850. Not the same buzz looking at a field of Fr's. Doesent pay the bills though.

Agree with you 100%. Best paying animal we ever killed was a Fr but he was very lucky. Old, mad and massive frame. Landed for somewhere in the 500s, summer out, winter in, graded an O and killed a shade over 1900. Total fluke, never to be repeated.

trouble with dd is if you put them up for 900 lads will want them for 8 so he might be as well to ask enough anyway whatever about getting it

Mallon is buying bulls for shipping again.they started last week in the light ones but now they are looking for 470kg plus ones also.
Whiteheads and that type of stock mostly.wont give high prices for continental but it's still a help overall as theese type were hard sold lately

We had a rep from him onto us yesterday about buying ch bull calves from us. Said that they have almost got the november load bought and that they are starting to seek out cattle for a load going out some time around the 10th to 12th of December. They would be looking for the cattle in 3 to 4 weeks time, would buy from us by the kg or will give us a date that they will be in the local mart and buy at the going rate.

We have a dozen or so that will fit what he was looking for, but we were planning to castrate them and feed them until february. We will see what way prices are going in 3 weeks and make a decision with the calculator.

Seemily a good few of the other exporters have weanlings assembled in anticipation for future shipments that the arent currently getting the green light. is the goodness gone out of the gig??

A friend sold 4 Charolais heifers in Carlow mart yesterday. 2 @ 425kgs made around €900 and 2 @ 500kgs made €1000. He's not too happy but needed to free up a bit of space.
He reckons the mart was dead, he had expected a bit of a trade seeing as it was a bank holiday.

[QUOTE"bagenal, post: 542111, member: 4430"]A friend sold 4 Charolais heifers in Carlow mart yesterday. 2 @ 425kgs made around €900 and 2 @ 500kgs made €1000. He's not too happy but needed to free up a bit of space.
He reckons the mart was dead, he had expected a bit of a trade seeing as it was a bank holiday.[/QUOTE]
There is no farmer demand. I still dont consider cattle cheap this day of the year

[QUOTE"bagenal, post: 542111, member: 4430"]A friend sold 4 Charolais heifers in Carlow mart yesterday. 2 @ 425kgs made around €900 and 2 @ 500kgs made €1000. He's not too happy but needed to free up a bit of space.
He reckons the mart was dead, he had expected a bit of a trade seeing as it was a bank holiday.
There is no farmer demand. I still dont consider cattle cheap this day of the year[/QUOTE]
Do you ever when your buying :lol::lol::lol:

Back