New saw

Titan 8820

Considering a purchase of either a Stihl 362 or a Husqvarna 365. Any thoughts?
Stihl about €70 more so nothing in it really.
Are any of the other makes worth looking at?

I was looking at Stihl saws myself last week and tbh they are more expensive but they just look and feel a better saw then Husqvarna are. I've an uncle who's a forester all his life and he says the new Husky's are junk compared to the older ones and they no longer use them. All Stihl now. I got a demo of 2 Stihl saws in the place I was in and I have to say I was very impressed with the power especially the larger saw. I can't remember the model numbers but yer man said one was a 66cc engine and the other was a 70. 1100 euro inc though so I didn't buy yet :unsure:

Have a Husqvarna 365 here for the last few years, very happy with it always think it would be able for a bigger beam

I had a husky 365 only for a year because some barsteward took it along with 3 other saws.:curse::curse:
I liked it ,good power .Im slowly replacing them. I bought a stihl 251.
It's a smaller saw but very capable .

Both husqvarna and stihl dealers are within a few mike of me here,both @mixed fleet and @ithastopay will know both,
But a friend had a 4 year old husky and wanted to change it and thought about a stihl,went to the stihl dealer and he wouldn’t take it as a trade in,there was nothing wrong with the saw but the dealer said he wouldn’t take it for nothing,said their gone too high tech and need a computer to tune them,
He ended up going husky again after,give under €400 along with his own for a new one.

I mightn’t be comparing like with like but I had a modern (non professional) Husky here a few years ago. It was my first saw but wasn’t overly impressed with the build quality (chain tensioning gadget in particular).

Bought a Stihl then and it’s like chalk and cheese. Stihl is a bigger more powerful saw but the build quality seems much better. Stihl strimmer and hedgecutter now also, wouldn’t be in a rush to buy anything else to be honest.

Husky 365 here for the last 15 years. It cost €850 at the time. It cuts a world of timber every year. Cannot fault it. Great power and nice to saw with.

Only issue around here is the dealers. Find service from them terrible and expensive . Been using an indy mechanic for a few years now and he's brilliant. Half the price for servicing.

Both husqvarna and stihl dealers are within a few mike of me here,both @mixed fleet and @ithastopay will know both,
But a friend had a 4 year old husky and wanted to change it and thought about a stihl,went to the stihl dealer and he wouldn’t take it as a trade in,there was nothing wrong with the saw but the dealer said he wouldn’t take it for nothing,said their gone too high tech and need a computer to tune them,
He ended up going husky again after,give under €400 along with his own for a new one.

Is out local stihl dealer still a stihl dealer .
I don't see him listed in the stihl adds.
It's about a year since I was with him.

Is out local stihl dealer still a stihl dealer .
I don't see him listed in the stihl adds.
It's about a year since I was with him.
Not sure on that,but my man said he had a new saw for him but just wouldn’t take the husky at any money.
Had a look on the stihl website and still listed there anyway.

Have a husky great saw its a medium sized saw have it 4 or 5 years. Took it to an independent repair man he said they are a great saw just to watch the 2 stroke I was using syntechic at the recommend rate but he said it needed more esp since it had some sort of egr so I up the rate till I got a small bit of smoke when you rev it up

whats a good make and model of a saw with a bigger beam as in 27 or 28 inch and what size engine would you need in it ?

If there is a good dealer in your area, don't discount the OleoMac saws. We have a 971, a larger 70cc saw here, about 20 years old. Dad did a world of work with it over the years. They are still making the same type iirc.

I've a Husqvarna 445 for smaller work here myself, wouldn't have near the power of the OleoMac, but it's easier handled and lighter.

A farmer nearby told me that Oleomac were the only ones not made in china these days. Italy apparently.
Dealer for them near here is keen to sell , not so sure about backup though whereas the Stihl and Husq dealers didnt seem bothered if you bought or not but have a good name for service.
The equiv oleomac is the 650 and is about €200 less.

I've had an oleomac strimmer for 20 years and it has done a lot of heavy work. Never a bother on it. Would definitely consider an oleomac saw.

I think we're been ridden here on the price of stihl saws .
IMG_3667.PNG

Only downside the English company won't deliver.
Oleo mac saws ain't bad value .
IMG_3668.PNG

My father has a 62cc efco, which is a different coloured oleo-mac and it's a right horse of a saw, real low down torque in it, but perhaps not the lightest. That said it's 15+ years old so maybe the've gotten lighter.

I've a 60cc husqvarna 460 and it's a far nicer saw to use in terms of weight/ergonomics but only a toy of an engine by comparison to the efco, your arms will be sorer at the end of the day but you'll have a bigger pile of timber cut.

My father has a 62cc efco, which is a different coloured oleo-mac and it's a right horse of a saw, real low down torque in it, but perhaps not the lightest. That said it's 15+ years old so maybe the've gotten lighter.

I've a 60cc husqvarna 460 and it's a far nicer saw to use in terms of weight/ergonomics but only a toy of an engine by comparison to the efco, your arms will be sorer at the end of the day but you'll have a bigger pile of timber cut.

I have an Efco 53 cc strimmers since 1999. I bought it new , after the man selling it had it in stock from the year before. Its heavy alright m but an animal to cut. Great in long grass with the twisted black cord in the aluminium head. Going by its reliability , I would rate efco stuff well.

Delaneys in Ballaghmore are selling Oleo Mac saws since the late 70s - early 80s. I have never heard anyone saying anything bad about the saws. They always had the name of being a powerful saw. They also now have the Husky agency , since another dealer gave up garden/forestry stuff.

I have a Husqvarna 346 XP for 5 years. Handy sized Pro saw. Like it a lot ,

Have a 391 stihl here at home but also use a husky in work, not sure of the number but I think it would be the equivalent as they both should have 18” bars but we’ve a 20” instead in the stihl.
Never worked them back to back really but I’d suspect the stihl maybe physically a bit heavier.
I don’t like the stupid tool less chain tensioner yoke on the husky, it’s probably fine on a little 12” yoke that only sees a bit of action now and again but on a bigger saw doing heavier work I don’t think it’s such a good idea, especially when you go to adjust it and someone else has overtightened it and then your waiting for the little bit of plastic to snap whilst you try undo it.
I do prefer the choke/cut out switch on the husky tho, down to knock it off just seems to make much more sense to me and feels more natural to my thumb, and seems more logical if you ever needed it in a panic, with the stihl I do find you have to take your hand away from the handle and grab the switch with finger and thumb nearly, the husky you just reach thumb over and it’s done.
No decompression switch on the husky is about the only other thing I can think of off top of my head.

Honestly I don’t know which I’d pick up if they were both sitting in the one shed in front of me, can’t really fault either apart from the chain tensioner yokey on the husky

I think we're been ridden here on the price of stihl saws . View attachment 49113
Only downside the English company won't deliver.
Oleo mac saws ain't bad value . View attachment 49114
I thought that was a heeeeluva price!

Mate of mine deals in the groundscair side of a local jd dealer. He stuck some new saws on Ebay. Then got an email from Still telling him to remove them as they would not stand by them if anyone was injured setting up a delivered saw. All saws were supposed to be set up and pdi'd by a dealer.

I think it matters little between the brands. Anything auto tune or without a carb is a pain to sort out as not even the dealers can sort them. So that absorbs time and adds to costs.

I run older saws, mainly husky and my next saw will be battery.

Be careful too with the new saws, most require this new high grade 2 stroke that's twice the price and saws still going bang.

I don't know 1 dealer selling saws that is happy. They say there's no margin and everyone is saying running costs are just too dear.

I used to have a stihl.ms390.didnt do a pile of work and needed an expensive repair to crankshaft bearings so I traded it for a 261 pro saw which is much lighter and quicker.
I also bought a husky 365 s/h which would be the equivalent size to the 390 but it's a far nicer and faster saw to use for medium to heavy work.
Bought a s/h stihl 660 with a 36" bar and it's an animal to cut without being very heavy.
The engine gave trouble and cost a lot to repair but I'm still happy enough.
The husky also gave engine trouble not long after buying it so one thing I have learned is not to buy a s/h saw without warranty

Back