Wet ground

If it's a swamp that bounces when you jump on it then trees are the best option. If on the other hand it dries up in summer time then shores would do it.

Is it low lying, dig out the topsoil and fill it up, drains are a waste of money in some places

It depends on what's making it wet. If it's due to 1 or 2 springs on higher ground that can be tapped easily to nearby drains then it can be transformed to workable ground quite easily. If it's in the middle of a bog with wet land as far as the eye can see you may call Coilte.

If it's only two acres, is forestry even a viable option by the time you consider roadways etc and depending on it's location or is it near a road etc?

It's flat nd rushey with forestry to 1 side nd bog on the other there is a drain all around it,if you got a month of good weather it kinda dries but the first heavy shower it's wet out again.

It's flat nd rushey with forestry to 1 side nd bog on the other there is a drain all around it,if you got a month of good weather it kinda dries but the first heavy shower it's wet out again.
Drain it. Clean the drain around it and put in drainage pipes wrapped in terram. Coat about €1000 per acre. You won't buy dry land at that price

I don't think it would sell very well!i dunno would drains sort it its very flat i suppose it would have to be dug.

The success of drainage depends on firstly identifying where the problem lies, is it wet because the water can't get down or because the water table around it is high or is it springs from underneath, would it even make workable land if you did manage to dry it a bit or is it similar to the bog beside it, you say it's very flat, would it be possible to get sufficient outfall to get water away from it ?

What soil type is it and how much of it ? Same with subsoil . Dig a few holes to see what's what. Out fall as Arthur says then .
Lad opened this for me yesterday. Soaking half an acre. He can divine springs as well .
20171118_153712.jpg
20171118_153735.jpg

Sounds like forestry to me. Or perhaps wild bird cover if you’re in GLAS. Getting the bird cover sown could be too difficult though.
Either of these would be the most profitable options in my opinion.

What about sowing the 2 acres with Birch , Sally or some such tree that thrives in wet land , with a view to an firewood supply for yourself?

It's like that ground in the picture there is no soakage wat so ever in it.its peaty marshey ground.as for getting a fall out of it not so easy,I dunno if it was all dug deep with an excavator?

It's like that ground in the picture there is no soakage wat so ever in it.its peaty marshey ground.as for getting a fall out of it not so easy,I dunno if it was all dug deep with an excavator?

You would hardly walk that place for the last month , But believe it or not , a Fusion travelled there the beginning of June 2016. I'm not saying it didn't mark it a bit.

So what are you going to do with that ground in the picture drain it with big stone?how much would it cost to dig 2 acres with track machine and would it be worth while does any 1 know?

So what are you going to do with that ground in the picture drain it with big stone?how much would it cost to dig 2 acres with track machine and would it be worth while does any 1 know?

A quick rule of thumb would be around 8 euro a metre including VAT for digger, 4in pipe and stone.

I'd estimate you'd need about 700./800 metres of drains there.....

There is probably 130 meters of that done , between 2 spots , maybe less.
Diggermans plan is to dig those now , let it soak and dry out over the winter. Then dig a narrow shore beside that in the spring (to use less stone than those wide ones). It’s so wet at the minute , that you would sink 6 inches in the welys in spots.
I do a place or 2 like this at least , every year. In practice , what usually happens is, I neeed to let cattle out. Tip along bottoms of those to clear slippages etc with a shovel. Get his stoning cart myself. Fill those to the top with stone , but throwing against 1 side , if you get my drift. It will take maybe 50% more stone , but still cost less than getting him to dig a new one beside it .
If it was longer , I might go with his advice , but he gets very busy in dry weather , and I don’t expect him to come to a small job like that in a hurry , more whenever it suits him. Hence why he dug them now. Nothing going on.

There is probably 130 meters of that done , between 2 spots , maybe less.
Diggermans plan is to dig those now , let it soak and dry out over the winter. Then dig a narrow shore beside that in the spring (to use less stone than those wide ones). It’s so wet at the minute , that you would sink 6 inches in the welys in spots.
I do a place or 2 like this at least , every year. In practice , what usually happens is, I neeed to let cattle out. Tip along bottoms of those to clear slippages etc with a shovel. Get his stoning cart myself. Fill those to the top with stone , but throwing against 1 side , if you get my drift. It will take maybe 50% more stone , but still cost less than getting him to dig a new one beside it .
If it was longer , I might go with his advice , but he gets very busy in dry weather , and I don’t expect him to come to a small job like that in a hurry , more whenever it suits him. Hence why he dug them now. Nothing going on.
Does the digger man divine the area before starting?

Does the digger man divine the area before starting?

He walks the ground 1st , with a forked hazel stick. Where ever there’s a spring , he sticks down a pigtail , or a stick out of the ditch . The landowner might be with him to show him the general area of the problem. I am often surprised at how far the spring is from the wet spot . And that some man who has no toothache now , had found the spring , dug a shore with a spade , built a box shore to drain it , and it’s collapsed now.

A quick rule of thumb would be around 8 euro a metre including VAT for digger, 4in pipe and stone.

I'd estimate you'd need about 700./800 metres of drains there.....

That's mad money Nash!
I posted the pictures up here this time 2 years ago when I got the lad with the stoning cart on the Morooka track dumper to do the drainage for me. He used 4" pipe and filled the drains to the top with stone.
1870 meters for €7500 inc vat (€4.10 + Vat/M). He supplied everything - machines, stone and pipe. It was all on sloped ground, so he had no spoil to draw away, only levelled it out. It would have been €4.50/meter if he had to draw the spoil away.

Unless you have shallow bog soil and a daub/marl bottom like in @jf 850 's pic above don't waste your money putting stone into it. Look into connacht agri teram pipes or make up yur own teram pipes. Half the price of putting stone in and it will work for much longer.

Back