App idea

Claas Grass

What do people do when they get a brainwave of a possibility useful app idea, is there an app developer that can be approached or what is the best way of trying to get an idea turned into reality.

Its a good question but let me start with the negative bit.

Not being cruel but there are millions of ideas floating about, I remember seeing a presentation one time where a number of attributes were measured and scored for successful companies including the idea, the management team, access to finance and a few more and surprisingly the strength of the idea was about 4th or 5th down the list.

But lets say you have a good idea and you are willing to put in the effort to give it a chance of success I would say rather than using one of the freelancing find me an app developer site, I'd ask around for some young eager beaver software guy/gal in your area and get them interested in it and offer them a share of the pie to build out the app you want or at least proto-type it. Don't take the first person that comes along make sure they are somebody that is eager to work and willing to put in the hours on the basis of some future reward.

The alternative is you paying somebody to build an app finding its not quite right, paying them every-time you need to tweak it and still not really knowing what you own at the end. I also strongly recommend people find somebody to go into business with, not necessarily a partner or even a friend, an acquaintance yes and we've seen quite a few successful business built by brothers, sisters. If somebody else is convinced and committed they will carry you along on the days your not and vice versa.

Don't be afraid to talk to people about your idea. That's how you will find out what people think. Ok don't publish it here on the net but talk to people around you and ask them honestly for their opinion and listen to what they are telling you. If they like it ask them would they put 5k on it - then they might tell you the real truth!!! While I wouldn't let one or two bad feedbacks put me off you'd hope for at least some positive feedback.

Whatever you think it will cost you to just build an app and get it published multiple it by at least 10! Everyday 1000's of apps are launched how will you get yours noticed among the crowd? Have you a niche market and a route to target that market? Don't let finance put you off, if the ideas good enough finance can be found. County Enterprise boards, Enterprise Ireland and bodies like that can (sometimes) be useful but I'd suggest you need to be able to show something tangible before approaching them.

Those are just a few tips- I am involved with software start-ups and would be more than happy to chat to you privately sometime if you wish - drop me a pm.

Its a good question but let me start with the negative bit.

Not being cruel but there are millions of ideas floating about, I remember seeing a presentation one time where a number of attributes were measured and scored for successful companies including the idea, the management team, access to finance and a few more and surprisingly the strength of the idea was about 4th or 5th down the list.

But lets say you have a good idea and you are willing to put in the effort to give it a chance of success I would say rather than using one of the freelancing find me an app developer site, I'd ask around for some young eager beaver software guy/gal in your area and get them interested in it and offer them a share of the pie to build out the app you want or at least proto-type it. Don't take the first person that comes along make sure they are somebody that is eager to work and willing to put in the hours on the basis of some future reward.

The alternative is you paying somebody to build an app finding its not quite right, paying them every-time you need to tweak it and still not really knowing what you own at the end. I also strongly recommend people find somebody to go into business with, not necessarily a partner or even a friend, an acquaintance yes and we've seen quite a few successful business built by brothers, sisters. If somebody else is convinced and committed they will carry you along on the days your not and vice versa.

Don't be afraid to talk to people about your idea. That's how you will find out what people think. Ok don't publish it here on the net but talk to people around you and ask them honestly for their opinion and listen to what they are telling you. If they like it ask them would they put 5k on it - then they might tell you the real truth!!! While I wouldn't let one or two bad feedbacks put me off you'd hope for at least some positive feedback.

Whatever you think it will cost you to just build an app and get it published multiple it by at least 10! Everyday 1000's of apps are launched how will you get yours noticed among the crowd? Have you a niche market and a route to target that market? Don't let finance put you off, if the ideas good enough finance can be found. County Enterprise boards, Enterprise Ireland and bodies like that can (sometimes) be useful but I'd suggest you need to be able to show something tangible before approaching them.

Those are just a few tips- I am involved with software start-ups and would be more than happy to chat to you privately sometime if you wish - drop me a pm.
Thanks very much for taking the time to write that post @towbar you’ve managed to address a lot of points there and brought to my attention things that someone like myself would not have thought about. I might try and drop you a pm later when I have a bit of spare time to pick your brain a bit more.

Back