Smarter Farms

Have you ever used a mobile device to monitor any parameter on your farm?

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I didn't know this technology existed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would but its too expensive

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Also use diy grain temp sensors to control temp in stored grain and monitor on phone. Profit derives from eliminating losses due to grain going off also only blowing air when needed.
Use cameras viewed on phone for security and as a visual indication of weather again for remote control of the grain fans and before travelling to site to spray hope to add remote weather station.
Use phone a lot for weather.

Use for this forum which has definitely saved me money!!

Would like to use it for agronomy and record tracking more. Started using farmflo but not getting full value from this yet. I don't think it's enough there yet.

DoneDeal don't know if it's saved or cost my money!!

A monitor of some sort that goes into a feed bin that when the feed goes below a certain level a beacon on the bin flashes and the farmer gets a text to remind them that feed is low and re-order. it would save a lot of hardship.

I have one of those. It works really well, some of the time anyway. It's called a window. The beacon is wired straight into the temperol lobe in my brain. Power outages in the brain can cause information to be lost and cows to be hungry though! So maybe not fool proof.

Also use diy grain temp sensors to control temp in stored grain and monitor on phone. Profit derives from eliminating losses due to grain going off also only blowing air when needed.
Use cameras viewed on phone for security and as a visual indication of weather again for remote control of the grain fans and before travelling to site to spray hope to add remote weather station.

Would like to use it for agronomy and record tracking more. Started using farmflo but not getting full value from this yet. I don't think it's enough there yet.

I tried version 2 of FarmFlo and unless I am missing something it looks a bit awkward. . The brother is getting the bits for a weather station.

How would you like to utilise smart technology for Agronomy?

What sort of containers are the feed kept in? Would it be suitable for a weight based sensor to measure the weight or a light based sensor which could measure the feed level?
I think that would be unnecessarily complicating things. What I did to a meal bin before is ideal in my opinion-find the level in the meal bin that gives you just a weeks supply left. Then cut a rectangle around 4 inches by 10 inches out of the side of meal bin in this area with the ten inch cut going from top to bottom. Get a pane of toughened clear glass about 6 inches by 12 inches or bigger. Glue the glass to the inside of the bin using silicon mastic. You now have a sight glass in your bin. Just remember when contemplating designing sensors for such projects if you do go ahead at it that this environment involves dust and mice. The latter are fond of wiring...
MF30

A neighbour put some sort of weighing system into his meal bin and has the screen in the office. He has robots so office is on farm screen is beside the computer

I have one of those. It works really well, some of the time anyway. It's called a window. The beacon is wired straight into the temperol lobe in my brain. Power outages in the brain can cause information to be lost and cows to be hungry though! So maybe not fool proof.
I think most adopt the window technology, it has a tendency to drop signal far too often

Where are you studying @Barrett95 and what's your basis for looking at smart technologies in Ag?
I am currently studying mechanical engineering at Coventry University. Myself and 2 other group members are investigating the feasibility of Smart Farming and want to collect information from actual farmers on how they are (or are not) utilising such technology. So far this forum has given us a lot of information to work with and we are very grateful for it.

How would you like to utilise smart technology for Agronomy?

I suppose i was really thinking record keeping however I think with image analysis technology it could be interesting to explore even simple things like plant counting and more complex like weed Id, disease identification, crop foliage for say nitrogen levels required in rape.

Does anyone use any Traceability technologies, such as RFID or Barcodes, on produce that you sell? If so do you, as a farmer, see any benefits in using such systems or is it solely for the benefit of your customers?

i loaded weather underground app and its excellent I must say - its lets you connect to a local station and as luck would have it somebody nearby me has a station setup and so I can easily see wind speed/ direction and rainfall levels for the farm. I'd still like to setup my own but its an easy starting point
wu.png

Back