milk prices

or apocalypse cow :Whistle2:

Here's a trailer. ......

a9c5bf4f743786610eab480dc7100066--horse-trailers-cattle-trailers.jpg

It's a sad comment to make but we had an in calf cow got hurt by a cow that was empty who was just dried off and being soaked up in the same cubicles, the cull was bulling mad and jumped on the in calf cow, pelvis broke, she had to be put down, rang the knackery Friday morning, he could collect her at 6am Saturday and he was working all day today too, he said the amount of dead stock this last few months was unbelievable and not just since the storm, his comment was that the rapid expansion has stretched fodder, housing, stock management and labour beyond some peoples controls and as a result mortality is far higher this year in particular, it's a sorry situation.

It's a sad comment to make but we had an in calf cow got hurt by a cow that was empty who was just dried off and being soaked up in the same cubicles, the cull was bulling mad and jumped on the in calf cow, pelvis broke, she had to be put down, rang the knackery Friday morning, he could collect her at 6am Saturday and he was working all day today too, he said the amount of dead stock this last few months was unbelievable and not just since the storm, his comment was that the rapid expansion has stretched fodder, housing, stock management and labour beyond some peoples controls and as a result mortality is far higher this year in particular, it's a sorry situation.
A comment from a vet in the autumn was that a lot of farmers would be better off with less stock rather than more given their husbandry skills or lack of. Sad indeed. Sorry to hear your misfortune BB.

Sorry to hear that BB. The local knackery here has a fleet of similar lorries which are not very common and a couple of people in various areas of the county have said that have never seen them around as much as in the past few months.

good post bb, vet told me of a couple of herds in which stock were dying from neglect as lads are too busy to look after them properly, is this teagasc blueprint for dairying a disaster in the making as in a big rush of calvings in a short space of time , farmers under extreme work pressure, too many calves hitting the market at the same time and the real worry is a disease such as smallenberg being rampant and widespread hitting in calf cows at 6 or 7 months, in other words all the eggs in one basket

Kerry dropping 2 c/l today for Feb milk looks like the race to the bottom has started ! How low will it go this time and how long will it take to come back up again !?

Kerry dropping 2 c/l today for Feb milk looks like the race to the bottom has started ! How low will it go this time and how long will it take to come back up again !?
I suppose dairygold will follow suit, usually lasts a year until it creeps back up again. Imagine getting 2 years or more of sh1te prices, I'd say there would be a lot of farmers sweating.

is 30 not the average expected milk price??

kinda like €4kg is the average beef price expected over the course of the year.

Back of fag box calculations at 30cent/litre,the average 40/45 cow farmer suppling 1000 litres/day with average costs to produce(no borrowings) would see profit of €100 for his effort now if i had a job in mcdonalds or tesco working the same hours ,would my pay be much smaller and i would still have my land .I might surely turn some few bob wheeling and dealing a few cattle on my land as well or even better still rent it to a dairy farmer for silage!!!

Back of fag box calculations at 30cent/litre,the average 40/45 cow farmer suppling 1000 litres/day with average costs to produce(no borrowings) would see profit of €100 for his effort now if i had a job in mcdonalds or tesco working the same hours ,would my pay be much smaller and i would still have my land .I might surely turn some few bob wheeling and dealing a few cattle on my land as well or even better still rent it to a dairy farmer for silage!!!
What id have for myself out of contracting would be small.
Id struggle to work in tesco for 300 a day anything more than short term

whats the past 5 year average for milk per L? cant find an irish price, UK 5 yr rolling av is 32cents per ltr

for beef, its very close to €4kg

Anytime I done back of the fag packet figures for dairy, with labour and land rent included, I couldnt understand the mad rush into it?

Last edited:
Back