Lit

I have a large mixture of native tree seeds coming in the post as and I'm just wondering is there anyone out there that want to share how to get the seeds to saplings in the most lean and productive way as I have no experience with growing trees however I would be quite 'green fingered'.

Any information (Do's and Don'ts) from experts would be appreciated.
Pictures of greenhouses/tunnels used for this purpose are also appreciated as I yet to put up permanent infrastructure of my own.

Note: Irish climate, the variety of seeds I am starting with are Beech, Laurel, Leylandii, Ash, Blackthorn, Nordman Fir.

Also whats the story with DAFM do I look into this even though I haven't materialised the seeds yet?

Thanks!

I would start them out in these:

root-trainers.jpg

You can get a crate to sit them in and the roots will air trim themselves and not get root bound whilst your thinking off where to plant them.

You can grow them outside or are you trying to do this in a commercial sense?

thanks! never seen these before do know where they can be bought?

Commercial is the goal however I don't want to put too much money into poly-tunnels etc. until I get to know my way with them.
Instead of a polytunnell I was thinking of using old rotten 8x4x4 straw bales, 1 bale deep and make a box out of them and line the inside with black polythene which should attract the heat, then use perspex or clear polythene on top should be a cost effective alternative..

Reactions: AYF
thanks! never seen these before do know where they can be bought?

Commercial is the goal however I don't want to put too much money into poly-tunnels etc. until I get to know my way with them.
Instead of a polytunnell I was thinking of using old rotten 8x4x4 straw bales, 1 bale deep and make a box out of them and line the inside with black polythene which should attract the heat, then use perspex or clear polythene on top should be a cost effective alternative..
Sounds like a good plan there.
Although I'd look into the cost of proper greenhouse glass for the top. Keeps the heat in better Im told!

Native trees should not need or want extra heat, so tunnels are only handy for yourself to work in during poor weather and will speed up the growth, but the tress will need to be hardened off outside and may not even be as good as plants grown outside all their lives.
Most of the commercial growers now use temporary closhes, using wire/hydradare hoops and clear plastic or fine mesh covers, that can be removed and replaced whenever suits.

Reactions: Lit
I have a few thousand sycamore seedlings to be rid of, whatever way storm Ophelia hit us it brought them in by the thousand to where there are normally only a few, lot of weeding to be done. They are one of the few things growing atm.
IMG_20180405_113727.jpg

I have a few thousand sycamore seedlings to be rid of, whatever way storm Ophelia hit us it brought them in by the thousand to where there are normally only a few, lot of weeding to be done. They are one of the few things growing atm.View attachment 53097
Well I took to weeding these out of the stones today, virtual confectionary of choice to the nearest guess as to how many seedlings.
IMG_20180407_151226.jpg

Yer only scratching the surface....... If I went away for a few months I'd find it hard to get back in..:laugh:

We're you feeling bored ?? :confused3:

Both picking them up in the 1 st place , not to mention counting them..
I never saw them before in such numbers @jf 850 , I think they were driven in by storm ophelia's strong wind from the south, I'd pull them every year but the numbers would be small enough but this year they would have taken over the place if let grow.

Back