Spring beans

I’d never increase barley rates when sowing late. I’d stick with my original rate of 300-310 seeds/m2.

Late sown barley is always softer in the straw so I definitely don’t want it thicker.
I aim for 3 tillers per plant, a barley plant will produce that if planted in April or May (as long as there’s enough P and N and correct pH).

I’d never increase barley rates when sowing late. I’d stick with my original rate of 300-310 seeds/m2.

Late sown barley is always softer in the straw so I definitely don’t want it thicker.
I aim for 3 tillers per plant, a barley plant will produce that if planted in April or May (as long as there’s enough P and N and correct pH).
Would you still sow beans tho? Looks like their will not be a sowing window this week either so it could be 10 days from now?

I'm not taking the risk with them anyway this year. Ordered all spring barley this evening, straw will be a valuable crop this year, heard from a couple of reliable sources 3 crop rule is being dropped. Thank God..

I'm not taking the risk with them anyway this year. Ordered all spring barley this evening, straw will be a valuable crop this year, heard from a couple of reliable sources 3 crop rule is being dropped. Thank God..
Then again the bean straw has a value and the protein payment is tempting!!! I'll sit on the fence for another bit before deciding

Opened a bag of Lynx spring beans and the seed had Bruchid beetle holes.
Anyone any experience/knowledge of them outside what I can find on the internet.
Is there any risk to soil after this seed.

Opened a bag of Lynx spring beans and the seed had Bruchid beetle holes.
Anyone any experience/knowledge of them outside what I can find on the internet.
Is there any risk to soil after this seed.
Bruchid beetles are in the Irish countryside already (I’ve seen them in beans grown here, especially by hedges).

Shouldn’t effect the seed - some human consumption markets like Egypt don’t like to see holes.

The hole is actually his exit from the bean so you should just have beans.

Will the derogation exempt you from yield penalties? Sounds like a great scheme!!
The wet spots might not yield too well but overall I am happy with the weeks efforts . The drill man was delighted with our autumn drainage work up on the bounds ditch which he has been sowing for us for twenty five years and has always been sow able but never quite right . We put in an extra field of beans instead of spring wheat. The chances of rolling the beans seem unlikely which might force us into creative weed control and further derogations . The Beans are gone in at about 1.5 inches which should see them out of the traps fairly fast .

Maybe not as high as 1 would think. If a guy had marginal land that realistically would need 7-10 days dry before touching it and yield 2T max of foot tall barley then they may consider sowing a few stone of beans per acre and close the gate, draw the subsidy. I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do and really is not what the scheme was designed for but it has been mentioned more than once to me..... I will not do it as my bean seed has been returned.
Do they have to be cut to draw the subsidy?
Getting into November ripening soon.

Sowed mine here on Friday and would consider that to be even too late. Definitely would have scrapped beans if it ran to this week. If what rain forecast comes it will be the weekend before land is fit again.
I don't think sowing and shutting the gate would be a runner for a hundred and something odd euro, nearly cost that to establish and weed spray. Surely grass or some sort of forage crop would leave more. Plus there seems a lot of beans gone in around here in the last week maybe we might not get that high a sub when it's all added up.

Also has to be a good option for anyone needing extra EFAs, sow close the gate and collect premium, EFAs and the advantage of a good break crop.
As far as I know once you put down beans on your BPS application it is assumed that pesticide applied and is therefore ineligible for EFA. I don't think there's a "pesticide-free bean" option on the list of crops on Agfood.

Back