Daily weather forecast update

How did you guys further south fare with rain over the weekend? We had nothing until almost dark last night, and it was only a shower. Things had improved so much in Leitrim over the last few days that we even managed to get the lawn cut yesterday evening. I was in Galway this morning and it didn't rain that much either. A lot of fields have greened up over the weekend. Looks like an improvement from wednesday. A lot of lads afraid to nail their predictions to the mast, but the charts in general are showing that we are looking at a prolonged dryer spell. We might still have some showers, but the temperatures will be up. This is the GEM chart for this morning which is predicting 9 days of high pressure influence after wednesday (but as you can see, the low isn't too far away).

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?model=gfs&lid=OP

GFSOPEU00_0_1.png

topkarten.php
We had 10mm Saturday night.The ground is very wet again,and another 30/50mm forecast for today.If it doesn’t improve in the next week or so some serious decisions will have to be made on the tillage side.

We had 10mm Saturday night.The ground is very wet again,and another 30/50mm forecast for today.If it doesn’t improve in the next week or so some serious decisions will have to be made on the tillage side.

That's a disaster. What happens if ye don't get dry weather? I mean, what's the latest date that ye can sow?
Is there any other crops that ye can put in later like something that can be grazed?

That's a disaster. What happens if ye don't get dry weather? I mean, what's the latest date that ye can sow?
Is there any other crops that ye can put in later like something that can be grazed?
We would have sown spring barley in the first week of May a very few times. At that stage you are looking at big drop in yields. As for putting in catch crops it might be an option in some fields.Hopefully we won’t be in that situation there is a while to go yet.

We are likewise scratching heads at the minute, we are in a heavy dairy area so there is demand for maize, beet and wholecrop so may have to look into these shortly if this weather persists. Also looking into westerwold grass seeds for 3 cuts, graze with weaklings early next spring and sow barley back into it-just all ideas so far but may become reality in another week to 10 days.

4ml of rain in total in the last 9 days in north kerry coastline,every thing is tipping along grand ,2 careful neighbours 100 cow herds on dry ground ,no cow out as they are listening to the forecast and waiting for the rain with the last fortnight!!!!If you listen to the weather all the time you would get nothing done.Hopefully any low pressure coming will not be too dramatic

Not sure whether it counts as dramatic but at the moment we have a howling gale trying to blow half the garden into next door's field again.

It's an absolute fcuk of a day yet again. Nice sunny morning turning to this shite this evening. We've water running down the sides of the road so thats land fecked again. It would sicken yer hole now.

It's an absolute fcuk of a day yet again. Nice sunny morning turning to this shite this evening. We've water running down the sides of the road so thats land fecked again. It would sicken yer hole now.
No doubt we could have done without the latest washout, puts things back another few days, I am reminded of the phrase @bruceythom used a few years ago, "wouldn't this weather rot your bollix"

We are likewise scratching heads at the minute, we are in a heavy dairy area so there is demand for maize, beet and wholecrop so may have to look into these shortly if this weather persists. Also looking into westerwold grass seeds for 3 cuts, graze with weaklings early next spring and sow barley back into it-just all ideas so far but may become reality in another week to 10 days.

I know some in the trade have being saying that spring barley seed could be scarce but what's the story with maize and beet seed especially as lots are thinking similar to you BB.

One hell of a night out there. High winds and driving rain. Trees down around at home along with spot flooding and the one night one of the outside tank farm pumps decides it has had enough. A 20 min repair has taken us over an hour and 3 of us are soaked through. At least I had a change of clothes in the locker. Now time of a sandwich and a coffee.

Ya checked my gauge this morning 30 mm since yesterday I have 2 lame cows out in a field and I felt sorry for them this morning when bringing them to the parlour as they were just lying on water

My symplistic measururing device ( a straight sided bucket) has 48mm since Sunday morning.. the river is out and the silage is out..:boat:

Absolutely soul destroying here at the moment. I had to let my frustration out on a barrel in the shed tonight.. it wasn't full.

Did a share of F'ing and blinding myself today. I'm sick and tired of the endless foddering, the wet, the cold, the skutter and constantly under pressure trying to get work done ahead of the rain.

The frustration is coming into the house and the family hence the shed beating.. gone beyond fcuk..

Back