What are you up to in the workshop?

Thought it was about time to get the SPFH into shape, new set of knives and turned the shearbar and a rub of the sharpening stone to set everything up right, a few wear parts to go in the chute and some new roller chain on the pick up, a few other small service items and it should be good to go chopping grass (no stones please)IMG_20180511_125039.jpg IMG_20180511_164623.jpg

Thought it was about time to get the SPFH into shape, new set of knives and turned the shearbar and a rub of the sharpening stone to set everything up right, a few wear parts to go in the chute and some new roller chain on the pick up, a few other small service items and it should be good to go chopping grass (no stones please)View attachment 54129 View attachment 54130
That would be a different drum to a 50 series would it?

It's a wide body machine, they have the angled knife mounting, afaik it's the same in 00, 50, and 80 series wide body.
That's it then, I've heard my mate on about wide body or wide spout or wide something. He moans every year how much it cost's to keep it going, the splines had worn on the brake drums so he had to have new ones, they seemed pretty expensive too!

jesus that's a scary sight, was there much setting in the gears, backlash, shims, stuff like that (that I dont really understand)

Myself I've got my GTI in for a turbo and a few breather hoses. the hoses are pretty inaccessible under the inlet manifold so I decided to remove the rad panel, cant get the bloody plug off the fan switch. had to down tools and go at something else so hoping it'll play ball tomorrow. (DP is rebuilding a whole back end and I cant disconnect a plug :blushing:)

Attachments

• DSC_1387.JPG
    DSC_1387.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_1470.JPG
    DSC_1470.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 86
jesus that's a scary sight, was there much setting in the gears, backlash, shims, stuff like that (that I dont really understand)

Myself I've got my GTI in for a turbo and a few breather hoses. the hoses are pretty inaccessible under the inlet manifold so I decided to remove the rad panel, cant get the bloody plug off the fan switch. had to down tools and go at something else so hoping it'll play ball tomorrow. (DP is rebuilding a whole back end and I cant disconnect a plug :blushing:)

I used to do all my own work on my cars back in the day. Now I will change the oil and after that will just give it to my friendly mechanic. I used to me mad into my hondas years ago and did everything from fully changing suspension and parts and brakes and engine mounts and timeing belts. Used to just google them and work long into the night at them. Had a cracked water hose on the caddy a few months ago. Left in the van to the mechanic and got a replacement van and collected it the next day.

I do that with my daily, but the gti is a toy, bad enough putting parts into it without paying for labour too, plus I enjoy it. Could make better use of the time admittedly, but that's always the way.

I do that with my daily, but the gti is a toy, bad enough putting parts into it without paying for labour too, plus I enjoy it. Could make better use of the time admittedly, but that's always the way.

Yea I was the same. Many hours spent at the cars. And unbelievable amounts of money. Importing parts from japan and buying stuff in auctions over there on line. Ohhhh the money I have spent on cars.

Not to much setting up. Pretty much once you make sure everything goes back exactly in the same order as it came out and a few torque settings for bearing preload your sound. However ask me again after it's back together and driving around :wink:

Would it be the same in the more basic lely mower`s do you know . One here at home has never been touched ......:unsure:
no,our old lely mower had a tall gearbox to drive the bed and every module had grease

they do recommend to change the grease but its a pig to do unless your fully stripping each module

Got a nice bit done Peter
View attachment 54132 View attachment 54133 View attachment 54134 View attachment 54135
With a bit of a push we should have it back in the rest of the tractor tomorrow.

Are you back in action DP?

There's a few Valtras that I know suffered the same problem. It was blamed on heavy draft work, in particular ploughing and breaking down ploughed ground.

I wonder is the same flaw in all of the Valtra gearboxes or has it been sorted in the new five speed powershift gearbox??

Are you back in action DP?

There's a few Valtras that I know suffered the same problem. It was blamed on heavy draft work, in particular ploughing and breaking down ploughed ground.

I wonder is the same flaw in all of the Valtra gearboxes or has it been sorted in the new five speed powershift gearbox??
Not yet nash. I had to go at other work yesterday and didn't get a chance to work on the tractor. Yeah the main dealer we got the replacement gear from did say those tractors shouldn't be used in 1st gear for heavy draft work like ploughing. Pity we didn't know that sooner, it would have saved us a lot of work now. As far as I know the newer T's have that problem sorted with heavier shafts and gears but all the 1st generation T series have that weakness. The smaller T120- 130 ones are probably ok. It's only the higher hp ones break up the gear in question. The gears in the landini are heavier believe it or not and it's only putting out 92hp. Poor enough engineering from Valtra imo.

Not yet nash. I had to go at other work yesterday and didn't get a chance to work on the tractor. Yeah the main dealer we got the replacement gear from did say those tractors shouldn't be used in 1st gear for heavy draft work like ploughing. Pity we didn't know that sooner, it would have saved us a lot of work now. As far as I know the newer T's have that problem sorted with heavier shafts and gears but all the 1st generation T series have that weakness. The smaller T120- 130 ones are probably ok. It's only the higher hp ones break up the gear in question. The gears in the landini are heavier believe it or not and it's only putting out 92hp. Poor enough engineering from Valtra imo.

There were a few 50 series around here that had the same problem too.

Fair play for taking it all asunder, you will know her like the back of your hand now (for the wrong reasons sadly).

Around 11pm last night I was starting to wonder if @Danielk was right.

But another hour of fighting, oil dripping on my face and a small bit of swearing had a big fat grin on my face.

The puddle of oil would indicate why this is being done. What you can't see in the photo is the 3-4mm end float and 1-2mm of wobble.
I was lucky it didn't disintegrate and get sucked into the engine

Attachments

• IMG-20180516-WA0001-01.jpeg
    IMG-20180516-WA0001-01.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 126
Around 11pm last night I was starting to wonder if @Danielk was right.

But another hour of fighting, oil dripping on my face and a small bit of swearing had a big fat grin on my face.

The puddle of oil would indicate why this is being done. What you can't see in the photo is the 3-4mm end float and 1-2mm of wobble.
I was lucky it didn't disintegrate and get sucked into the engine

Is one hard got for that or you going to recon it?

Is one hard got for that or you going to recon it?

I could have bought one second hand from a randomer but for similar money I've bought a new spurious one. either way I was taking a chance so fingers crossed. I bought it off ebay from a seller who sells a lot of them (handy in ebay the way you can see how many of something has sold) and no bad feedback on turbos so hopefully it works out.

if not, sure i've practice getting it out now!

Back