What are you up to in the workshop?

There’s an 8 pin connector going into the back of the Quantron E2 box on the Rauch spreader. It brings the speed signal from the tractor wheel to the box.

It had been acting up but lost all connectivity today.

The female is soldered to the circuit board and had become loose leading to it breaking away from the board.

A bit of soldering and a few spade connectors got it going again until I can source the correct new connector to solder on. Only 3 connections are actually used.

The Carlow made portasol gas soldering iron is very good.

Apologies to @Carrigogunnell if i was a bit brief when you rang, hope you got sorted.

5A94BA4F-C03C-4A93-B400-669898DED357.jpeg A84DF815-C570-4397-8B83-F24AE3140589.jpeg

Aye ...best order a new one asap. I did the same as you to speed up the door when using the inline . Didn't work for me anyway . The door will open much too quick and literally comes back down in freefall .
I usually learn my lessons the hard way .
Work have a new baler got this year . (only collected last night in massey colour`s ) . Only made 5 bales today when i headed back to the yard to modify that restrictor . The older version had been bored out completely which would have been a 6mm hole it was fast alright . This one i`v only bored out to 4.5mm and happy enough with it . But the speed before that was pathetic especially closing . Now the baler here is inside in a goweil wrapper so it`s the wrapper control box work`s the door . Did you bore it out completely .
On a similar subject the pickup reel on the baler is desperate slow to lift . Now they were never the fastest reel to lift . I know there`s bullet style restrictor in the pickup line that allows the oil to flow fast for dropping the reel but restrict`s it when lifting . Anyone ever modify it . @Win

Around 11pm last night I was starting to wonder if @Danielk was right.

But another hour of fighting, oil dripping on my face and a small bit of swearing had a big fat grin on my face.

The puddle of oil would indicate why this is being done. What you can't see in the photo is the 3-4mm end float and 1-2mm of wobble.
I was lucky it didn't disintegrate and get sucked into the engine

Did you drop the sump and check the oil pickup? They've a habit of blocking on those.

Seeing as we're on the subject, did you check /replace the maze of breather hoses under the manifold?

yeah, have a few of them dissolved, one broken (although possibly by me, I did a lot of pulling at it) and there's a massive hole under the cam tensioner where a piece of the gasket has disintegrated. VW used some really shitty rubber on these engines.

VWs are like land rovers. The parts are cheap and readily available, problem is you need so many of them.

One project for this year will be concreting one side of the sheep shed. Currently on earth floor.

The floor in at the moment is clay. And well compacted from years of sheep on it.

Would lads consider well compacted clay to be man enough as a base for concrete?
Or dig deeper and put in a layer of stone and compact that?

One project for this year will be concreting one side of the sheep shed. Currently on earth floor.

The floor in at the moment is clay. And well compacted from years of sheep on it.

Would lads consider well compacted clay to be man enough as a base for concrete?
Or dig deeper and put in a layer of stone and compact that?
The same has been done the same here and been successful. there was ground filling built up to yard level here to erect a shed. it was left idle for ~2 years and subsided maybe 20 inches at the deepest part(8 feet high). Rainwater helped a great deal to accelerate the process. The filling was graded with a 3cx so there wasn't huge expense spent at compacting it. However I wouldn't like to build a shed on unstable soil. For your purposes there's no issue, the soil is there for 20 years or more probably. On this farm the cement yard has collapsed under the circuit lap of the silage contractors, but that's only 2 inches deep in places. If you have 4 inch concrete in a shed it'll last longer than you.

The same has been done the same here and been successful. there was ground filling built up to yard level here to erect a shed. it was left idle for ~2 years and subsided maybe 20 inches at the deepest part(8 feet high). Rainwater helped a great deal to accelerate the process. The filling was graded with a 3cx so there wasn't huge expense spent at compacting it. However I wouldn't like to build a shed on unstable soil. For your purposes there's no issue, the soil is there for 20 years or more probably. On this farm the cement yard has collapsed under the circuit lap of the silage contractors, but that's only 2 inches deep in places. If you have 4 inch concrete in a shed it'll last longer than you.
Agreed, I would rather spend my money on extra concrete over spending it on removing compacted clay and replacing with stone.

Figured as much. We are going to have to remove a bit of clay just to get levels. But I might just hire one of those ride on rollers to pack everything down afterwards. Have a very reasonable hire firm locally.
The shed has been there 15 years. or the bit were concreting anyway. And next years bit a good 25 years.

Are fibers worth the extra just for added strength?

Mind you the oldest shed here is 4inches concrete and has a few cracks from settlement but nothing that you'd look twice at!

Figured as much. We are going to have to remove a bit of clay just to get levels. But I might just hire one of those ride on rollers to pack everything down afterwards. Have a very reasonable hire firm locally.
The shed has been there 15 years. or the bit were concreting anyway. And next years bit a good 25 years.

Are fibers worth the extra just for added strength?

Mind you the oldest shed here is 4inches concrete and has a few cracks from settlement but nothing that you'd look twice at!
If there is going to be machinery going over it steel might be worth considering

If there is going to be machinery going over it steel might be worth considering
Only mucking out once a year.
Shed is too low to get anything big in.

A mate of mine had an awesome system to avoid needing to concrete a strip by the wall after removing forms.
He used to set a length of steel on some dry mixed concrete 'pyramds' to the levels. Screed on them. Then lift them as the mix was just strong enough to walk on and tap some concrete into the grooves.

Worked well but can't help but feel they were creating a weakness??

All the sheds here are pretty much the same as your describing, might have been a bit of 804 or dust put in under in spots just to get the levels fairly right. No problems with any of them yet anyways. Probably 5ish inches in most of them no fibres or steel in any of it

Reactions: AYF
The fibres will make the mix harder to work, some lads swear by them, and they're not dear either but there's plenty of floors put in sheds on clay floors without and they haven't gone anywhere.
We knocked an old cow house last year that the father can just about remember the floor being put in if it was 2" thick in places it would be exaggerating, floor wasperfect and it was only sea gravel and sand, mixed in a car trailer by hand in one yard and a few lads wheeled it down to another by hand! Biggest machine on it though was a 188!

All the sheds here are pretty much the same as your describing, might have been a bit of 804 or dust put in under in spots just to get the levels fairly right. No problems with any of them yet anyways. Probably 5ish inches in most of them no fibres or steel in any of it

Very same setup here and some of the yard was done that way. Some of It has seen plenty of action with bigger tractors, muck spreaders and tandem trailers.

None of It done professionally, most of It my neighbour and I tapped It with Dad and for some of It another neighbour doing the areas that were light in concrete.

Reactions: AYF
Aye, once a year I'll do a bit more then just point the washer at it
View attachment 54419 View attachment 54420 View attachment 54421
He gets the woman out on her day off with a bucket , sponge , Hoover, polish...

the woman does a good job if that, u wouldn't send her this direction the next day she is off, got a white valmet, I hope its white, it once was, she could do a number on.

once a year here we might get the snow foam sprayed on for a bit before the power washer and the brush around the cab to find the floor again. be nice to see all the tractors here looking as clean as that before silage but hedgecutter came of and the 6180 one evening and the combi went on and the next evening it was baling. need to find more time.

Back