Farmland and environmental protection

IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG

It looks like swans like beet tops, counted at least 80 of them in a field over the road from here. I presume they come in off the river. They are here every day with the last 3 weeks.

was in my neighbours yard today, he,s a feed merchant and the yard was covered with crows and pigeons and he said he,s never seen anything like it this past few days, its like they know theres snow on the way and they,re trying to build up reserves for the hungry days ahead

was in my neighbours yard today, he,s a feed merchant and the yard was covered with crows and pigeons and he said he,s never seen anything like it this past few days, its like they know theres snow on the way and they,re trying to build up reserves for the hungry days ahead
Not many Buzzards about??????

Down in the brothers this morning just after the foddering was done and both of us were looking out of the workshop at the yard covered in small birds picking up the spilled bits of meal. Neither of us have ever seen so many at the same time. God knows what kind of a cold spell we may be in for.

I know of a young lad that put Sleepy Crow on some meal and spread it on the snow with a Vicon . He thought they would eat it and freeze to death .

Down in the brothers this morning just after the foddering was done and both of us were looking out of the workshop at the yard covered in small birds picking up the spilled bits of meal. Neither of us have ever seen so many at the same time. God knows what kind of a cold spell we may be in for.
Crows and Seagulls were unreal as I was doing the feeding round yesterday. Serious cloud of them. Not so many today. Figure they'r back at the coast where there's less snow?

I know of a young lad that put Sleepy Crow on some meal and spread it on the snow with a Vicon . He thought they would eat it and freeze to death .
we had a neighbour that had a death wish on crows, he shot 1000s of them when they were doing no harm to anybody such as in silage fields or cow paddocks used to drive along the road firing out through the window of the car, he,s dead 10 year now and the crows are still around just as if he never existed :wink:

Walking the fields the other day and saw frogs spawning in this drop of water, they will be lucky to survive unless they know something I don't as this spot will dry up after a week of dry weather. Not the best picture and hard to see the frog.
IMG_20180307_162147.jpg

I'm pretty sure that kind of thing is illegal now and he has probably killed a load of small birds too:(

Walking the fields the other day and saw frogs spawning in this drop of water, they will be lucky to survive unless they know something I don't as this spot will dry up after a week of dry weather. Not the best picture and hard to see the frog.View attachment 52313
Well the frogs were right, no way this will be dry for another fortnight going by the forecast for next Friday and they will soon be there 5 weeks.

The primroses are out . They seem to do better where the verge trimmer traveled .
1D84C01E-C2E3-4DF0-8334-ED974DA0B442.jpeg

I put a couple of lentils as seats on the circle where I go for a walk . There is a nice view and it is peaceful. I used to just sit in the ditch and make a few phone calls but now I can have a bit of comfort in my old age .
29F89DC5-5542-49F2-9FDB-B7B2B6DA61E9.jpeg
976ED765-600E-479F-A4FD-02F0C8BA6B0E.jpeg

I planted some Wildflower seeds and they are down a week. They are pollinator and Butterflie friendly .
E0C1608B-6705-4C2F-BB7E-5F78E467D4F0.jpeg
CE7EDD7C-1523-41B3-9D5F-05B21AD2CBCC.jpeg

I just got a Box in Morgan’s Nursery I think it was €19 . There are already wildflowers in the square that I sowed a few years ago and I have been mowing it in the winter and raking off the cuttings to reduce the fertility.
If you want Irish Wildflowers you may head up to Sandro in Crettyard .
http://www.wildflowers.ie/
do you think when the new cap reform is complete we,ll have to plant wildflowers and habitats to get the bps money?. we,d all have corners of fields or wet land that could be put to use for the environment

Reactions: KJL
do you think when the new cap reform is complete we,ll have to plant wildflowers and habitats to get the bps money?. we,d all have corners of fields or wet land that could be put to use for the environment

It'd make a lot more sense than the bullshi&e wild bird cover and dumping builders in random spots around the farm for glas .

Back