Hay 2018

I had a bit for hay but I thought about it and the hardship involved and very wisely decided to make silage of it instead. The pz lump maker can rest another year :rolleyes2:

Cut down a small bit on bank holiday monday but with the threat of thundershowers late in the week l chose to wrap it on friday. Glad l did as we got rain on friday night

And will people please stop bashing haybobs. If you made hay with fingerbar mowers and acrobats or hayflashes or hayzips back in the 70s you would appreciate what a revolutionary machine the PZ haybob was.

Cut down a small bit on bank holiday monday but with the threat of thundershowers late in the week l chose to wrap it on friday. Glad l did as we got rain on friday night

And will people please stop bashing haybobs. If you made hay with fingerbar mowers and acrobats or hayflashes or hayzips back in the 70s you would appreciate what a revolutionary machine the PZ haybob was.
Is the haybob much different to modern day tedders, other than working width?
We had one of these pottinger yokes back in the day, and I remember my father letting it idle and using a 2 prong pike instead
They were okay for rowing up though

upload_2018-6-12_9-51-52.jpeg

We had one of these pottinger yokes back in the day, and I remember my father letting it idle and using a 2 prong pike instead

View attachment 55076
Bomford JF even Pierce probably others too all made that type. They were all fairly dismal.. Says it all if the Bossman went back to the pike.

I had a bit for hay but I thought about it and the hardship involved and very wisely decided to make silage of it instead. The pz lump maker can rest another year :rolleyes2:

A neighbour found a new love for his PZ haybob which had in his eyes always produced lumps when we showed him that you could move the pins out to spreading position and it shook the grass out better. He had been tedding for 20 years with the pins in the rowing position. In general I fnd that the only way that the pz makes lumps is if you go perpendicular to the mowed swart.

They say a bad workman always blames his tools ...:rolleyes2:

Exactly.

View attachment 55076

We had a Pottinger like that. HAYMAN 200 ?
A neighbour had a Pottinger Haystar 2 row Turner, bought new. SOME piece of scrap.

Bomford JF even Pierce probably others too all made that type. They were all fairly dismal.. Says it all if the Bossman went back to the pike.

We had one of them with belts. I can't remember the make . Would it have been Vogel and Noot .It was blue.
The weren't much cop unless for rowing .

The pz was grand if you take your time with it but given that it only covers 8ft not even my father would take his time. just got an old khun 5000 4 rotor be interesting to see the difference

Last edited:
We had one of them with belts. I can't remember the make . Would it have been Vogel and Noot .It was blue.
The weren't much cop unless for rowing .
vogel and noot hayblitz they were called, the frame was welded many times on the one here but it was better than an vicon acrobat just the same, the pz version was called a hayman i think

vogel and noot hayblitz they were called, the frame was welded many times on the one here but it was better than an vicon acrobat just the same, the pz version was called a hayman i think

The HAYMAN was the Pottinger. The PZ was called a 2000.

We had a Pottinger like that. HAYMAN 200 ?
A neighbour had a Pottinger Haystar 2 row Turner, bought new. SOME piece of scrap.
Hayman definitely rings a bell, in fact I think thats what the father used to call it.
The one here was bought new too, and went into the scrap lorry only a few years ago.
They were useful for pulling the grass/hay away from the headland and when rowing up a light crop, putting multiple rows into one!

First of the hay baled and loosely stacked in the shed . Down a week and saved without rain! How much do lads recon a 4X4 bale is worth loaded out of the shed? It really is beautiful hay, you’d almost eat it yourself but then again they all say that ! T.i.a.

First of the hay baled and loosely stacked in the shed . Down a week and saved without rain! How much do lads recon a 4X4 bale is worth loaded out of the shed? It really is beautiful hay, you’d almost eat it yourself but then again they all say that ! T.i.a.
Its worth between €20 to €30 per bale.

How did them haymans turncthe stuff?
Hard see how thwy would
the first round was thrown in towards the field and then you turned round and threw the hay back towards the ditch after that you kept going all the time throwing the hay into the bare ground left after the pass before, the round by the ditch was always twice the size and much harder to get fit but crops were lighter back in those days

Haylage not going well here. Baler man went 20ft and his old Claas then decided to eat a needle and the other knotter pooped the bed. Been on the phone having a ring round and it seems small square balers are rare in this part of the world. Bit more head scratching in the morning

Back