Combines

I've seen both the newer one and the this one working over the past few years. A very nice machine to be fair and owner said it has performed very well. I had though that this one had sold earlier on this year so was a little surprised to still see it in the dealers yard during the harvest. I do believe it cut a few acres this year as well

I was hoping to see this W540c working this week, she was out on demo to a few potential customers. Unfortunately I was not able to make it.
Does anyone know what is the significance of the "c" after 540?

I was hoping to see this W540c working this week, she was out on demo to a few potential customers. Unfortunately I was not able to make it.
Does anyone know what is the significance of the "c" after 540?
I was also hoping to to get to see her working as she was working only 5 minutes from my front door but instead I was at work.

Other models were also available with the Fiat motor. For some reason they were always better combines thsn the Ford powered ones.

That's right the 8040 in particular the later models had a Fiat engine, the same block as a 110/90 I think.

The first time I saw a New Holland with the second drum it was leaving the straw a lot nicer than our John Deere 975 that was working alongside it .

Did your 975 not have that spiral rake thing over the walkers or was that only on the 1000 series?

That's right the 8040 in particular the later models had a Fiat engine, the same block as a 110/90 I think.

Did your 975 not have that spiral rake thing over the walkers or was that only on the 1000 series?
It had but a lot of them were taken out . Are they still fitted to new ones . On the Deutz Fahr Topliners you can drop the second concave away in drier conditions as it can drop bruss on the sieves and carry grain out the back .

We had a 1545 for 18 years (no second drum) followed by an 8060 with a ford engine and a second drum for 9 years. I learned my trade on the 8060 and cut 500+ acres a year with it with little bother. The header was the biggest downside to both these machines with the auger tending to take in the crop in lumps with even the smell of a dew. The high capacity header (black reels) would be a major advantage.

One of the UK farms where l did a summer harvest job had an 8080 fitted with a 17ft Claas header. Was a brilliant combo.

Lovely 8055 here.

https://www.donedeal.ie/combineharvesters-for-sale/new-holland-8055-combine-for-sale/20468149

NDA4ZDRjODM0OWZhZDg5ZTBmZmU4Y2E5OWFhMDA2ZmGSwCwcBwrBeBcsQjU_t3ZeaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTM4MDAxMjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Last of those built in 91 so its probably close to if not more than 30 years old. Equivalent machine would be nowhere near 200k+vat today??? Would 125- 150k+vat not buy an entry level combine out of season...
At that its valued well over 10% of a new equivalent.

Disclaimer - I'm in the market for a cheap good used combine so my views might be biased!:tt2:

Give or take 7.5% the value of a new 1, might be a tad strong but a decent machine and looks clean so it might make very near that. Issue is that it’s a 100/150 acre machine and not much of a market for them anymore, well around here anyway.
In that the 100 -150 ac man is gone out of tillage or just gets contractor? Makes you wonder what the future of tillage farming is, bigger growers with a lot of leased ground are getting a bad name as tenants and customers over the last number of years. The small man can’t or won’t invest the big ones struggle to pay.

In that the 100 -150 ac man is gone out of tillage or just gets contractor? Makes you wonder what the future of tillage farming is, bigger growers with a lot of leased ground are getting a bad name as tenants and customers over the last number of years. The small man can’t or won’t invest the big ones struggle to pay.
3 things really, either they are gone, get a contractor or else cut their own with a combine that they tend to hold onto for a long time, as I said that’s the way around here anyway.

3 things really, either they are gone, get a contractor or else cut their own with a combine that they tend to hold onto for a long time, as I said that’s the way around here anyway.
I’d say that’s fairly accurate around here too. Combine that we share is 95reg came in 2002 will be here till a few of the shareholders retire, then....... I won’t have the time or the scale to keep it running or replace it.

Lovely machine alright but wouldn't 10k plus vat be a more realistic value?

I would have thought anywhere between what you say and 15k all in.

It's a yellow reel model so mid to late 80s ,the very last of them had a black reel I think.

You can't blame lads for not replacing combines either when you read what it costs on here to keep newer models going.

Plus the ideal second hand combine from the UK has dried up with bigger units over there and more often than not rotary too.

Even here in this county, Buttles must have imported thousands of NHs and Deutzs.

The 8055 didn't come out until the mid 80's though. @Titan 8820 will correct me if I'm wrong as we had a discussion on this before!

Think your right. They didn't have a secondary drum or maybe no rethreshers on the returns not sure but there was definitely something missing from them I think.

Back