Winter Wheat 2019

Oakley

Ordering seed tomorrow would like to add a new variety, anyone have Conros Costello or cellule this year and how did you find them?

Costello did the best here this year and did well last year too. Looks a very safe variety. Best yield I heard of locally was Conros for seed.
More Costello this year here and will try some Conros if I can get some.

Costello and some bennington here for 2019.
Had costello and avatar this year ( avatar not through choice needed seed quick and got let down ) Avatar done well in a good field and a good slot but its run its race now. Costello good all rounder and lots of straw despite being a short variety. Wheat had another disappointing year gone around here, i keep saying this is its last chance but i have a phobia about a bit of everything but unless it produces the goods soon that may change but to what , cant have all winter barley

Had Costello for seed the last few years, has preformed consistency well but no record breaking yields. Very short straw so it may suit high fertility sites

Had Diego this year and it did 4.1. It seems very reliable. Would I be mad sowing it again?

I was going to go with 2/3 Lumos and 1/3 Bennington or Costello . None of our wheat is weighed yet but some very thin crops made a miraculous recovery as usual .

Costello not over eager early on but seemed to cope well with extremes of wet and drought through the season. Can we have early vigour scores @CORK ?

Rockafellar was the stand out variety for us this year. 4.7t at 19%.
Costello at 4.5t at 19.8%.
Conros was 4.1t at 18%
We'll probably go with similar varieties again this year depending on availability

Costello not over eager early on but seemed to cope well with extremes of wet and drought through the season. Can we have early vigour scores @CORK ?

I don't have vigour scores as such, I do remember @Bog Man mentioning that he thought some of the older varieties were more vigorous than what we have nowadays.

Varieties do differ a bit in terms of vigour but there is little difference between most of them.

I would always consider Costello to be very tame in terms of its growth until about early April - it stays quite prostrate and tillers well. This is usually something I like to see, especially in my mild part of the world.
Costello usually looks its best just as it ripens.

In terms of vigour, I would consider Cellule to be the most vigorous. It tillers well and seems to put up with waterlogging quite well.

After that, I wouldn't see many differences between the varieties that are out there.

I intend to go with mostly Cellule again I think. It appears to prefer to be a first wheat from what I have seen in this years trials. That said, this year was so weird that we should probably be careful drawing any conclusions from trials. Most of ours will be second crop....(its earliness should allow us to get WOSR in next autumn after it).
Cellule served us very well on our home farm this year. If we get a wet May next year and I am dealing with lots of Septoria pressure then it would be the one to have.

I wouldn't be a fan, but a neighbour wants to start almost immediately, Bennington and Costello have good adhb early sowing yields.

There’ll be some serious scope for Septoria development there!!!

Had Diego this year and it did 4.1. It seems very reliable. Would I be mad sowing it again?
Certainly not IMO. We will be mainly Diego again this year for the umpteenth year running although we will increase our proportion of Costello. We used to be big into trying new and novel varieties but after trying a couple of shockers a few years ago decided its best let someone else be the guinea pig. Tried and tested for consistent results.

We have had Costello with the last two years and will be growing it again.It yielded well this year but it is its ability to put up with a bad harvest that really impressed me.Last year we cut it around the 20th of September and it was still in perfect condition not a sprout or a head on the ground.KPH up in the high seventies.

We have had Costello with the last two years and will be growing it again.It yielded well this year but it is its ability to put up with a bad harvest that really impressed me.Last year we cut it around the 20th of September and it was still in perfect condition not a sprout or a head on the ground.KPH up in the high seventies.

I hate to say it but we are now one year closer to a properly wet harvest.
We have chosen Costello, Cellule and Conros with sprouting and delayed harvest in mind.

I hate to say it but we are now one year closer to a properly wet harvest.
We have chosen Costello, Cellule and Conros with sprouting and delayed harvest in mind.
To be honest 2017 was a fairly wet harvest in this area once the weather broke at the end of july. Diego was main variety here and it lasted very well , some of it was ripe 3 weeks by the time it was cut with the broken weather.Had garrus as well and it sprouted quickly enough but still yielded exceptionly well.
Going for JBD, Bennington, garrus, graham, cellule and costello- all have their strengths and weaknesses so should spread the risk

Back