Winter barley 2019

KTM 450

Winter Barley 2019. Does anyone know if the certified seed list for 2019 is out yet. I am getting anxious to order it. Also any thoughts on wheather I should use latitude or not, it is being grown on previous WB ground which is varying from year 3 to year 5 after grass. Have used Latitude and Redigo last year and paid almost €1000 per ton. Hard to justify.

Winter Barley 2019. Does anyone know if the certified seed list for 2019 is out yet. I am getting anxious to order it. Also any thoughts on wheather I should use latitude or not, it is being grown on previous WB ground which is varying from year 3 to year 5 after grass. Have used Latitude and Redigo last year and paid almost €1000 per ton. Hard to justify.

I’m expecting the list to be out next week.

There seems to be a major move to winter barley from spring barley.
Oats is being chosen as a break crop instead of beans.

In both cases, a big part of the decision is based on the fact that “and there’s the straw too”.

The straw market will correct itself fairly quickly methinks.....

In both cases, a big part of the decision is based on the fact that “and there’s the straw too”.

There will be a big switch from spring barley as you say, here included. We will only grow what’s needed to fill the malting contract, extra WB, fodder beet and maize to make up the acreage I’d say.

Not that it’s a matter of life or death but it doesn’t look like there will be enough Deter to treat all the winter seed.

Last year of it anyway.

Was going to place my order for Tower seed tomorrow with Redigo Deter, will start ploughing on Monday to make a start. Hedges trimmed and dung spread, ground is in great order with natural subsoiling done by Mother Nature this summer. I plan to sow grass in all my WB ground after the harvest as part of rotation as I'm of the opinion that this land is too dry to risk expensive reseeding now. We're still well in deficit of moisture here. No harm to plan ahead but no point in taking it too seriously either. Weather will dictate largely what we do as has been proven so far this year.
MF30

Nothing ordered here yet but next week I may get it done. Probably go with tower again for myself and the brother is a firm cassia man. I'm undecided on whether to go with all wb or a wb sb split. If conditions stay good and time is with us then I'll probably go with all winter crops.

I know it’s well to be ordering seed but are we not getting a little ahead of ourselves.... it’s only the first week in September. It will definitely be after the ploughing before I put a plough in the ground and that’s only if the weather looks ok for the following two weeks . We will be well up on winter barley this year so have to watch the weather to get it in , the heavier land first and then if the weather changes the ploughs can run in front of the drill in the lighter land. If the malting price that comes out at the end of the month doesn’t seem good enough I might drop it and put in more winter barley.
Going to give infinity another chance I think and I’m going to put in some bazooka and see how we go .

We’ll only have a bit around the trial plots this year, most likely Carneval.

I know it’s well to be ordering seed but are we not getting a little ahead of ourselves.... it’s only the first week in September. It will definitely be after the ploughing before I put a plough in the ground and that’s only if the weather looks ok for the following two weeks . We will be well up on winter barley this year so have to watch the weather to get it in , the heavier land first and then if the weather changes the ploughs can run in front of the drill in the lighter land. If the malting price that comes out at the end of the month doesn’t seem good enough I might drop it and put in more winter barley.
Going to give infinity another chance I think and I’m going to put in some bazooka and see how we go .
Where I work I reckon 70% of barley seed and 50% of wheat and 80% of oats is already ordered. Between standard, deter and latitude, big and small bags the more notice the better so there will be less issues in a months time when lads want it. None of it will be delivered until a week or so before lads want it but it may reduce the hardship of a phone call in October that says “hi I want 2T BB and 4 small bags of infinity with deter and latitude and I’ll need it tomorrow as there is rain the following day”. It’s un workable and everyone gets cranky then. No doubt there will still be issues but the less of them the better. Certain varieties run out fast anyway, we are sold out on some varieties already as the seed companies have to allocate out their varieties

Where I work I reckon 70% of barley seed and 50% of wheat and 80% of oats is already ordered. Between standard, deter and latitude, big and small bags the more notice the better so there will be less issues in a months time when lads want it. None of it will be delivered until a week or so before lads want it but it may reduce the hardship of a phone call in October that says “hi I want 2T BB and 4 small bags of infinity with deter and latitude and I’ll need it tomorrow as there is rain the following day”. It’s un workable and everyone gets cranky then. No doubt there will still be issues but the less of them the better. Certain varieties run out fast anyway, we are sold out on some varieties already as the seed companies have to allocate out their varieties

“I want it today, not tomorrow!!! If I wanted it tomorrow then I’d order it tomorrow.”

Mine arrived last week. Going with kws Orwell. Dunno if it's available with you yet. Looks the part except for mildew.
I put manganese dressing on it. Deter is getting pricey-well up-its the last year of it anyway I think
Hopefully it's the right call, the amount of aphids stuck to the combine header was scarey! Closely followed ladybirds having a feed! The black in photo is all aphids!! DSC_0014.JPG

Last edited:

I'd better get cracking so on Monday :eek3:

On the swing from beans, it's also the procrastination from the minister last spring about announcing the Protein Scheme which wouldn't have helped. That is needed to make anything decent from them.

Oh I have my seed ordered a month ago .... I just wouldn’t be rushing around with the plough

There’s a couple of mentions of Bazooka above. I must say I was disappointed with it . All year long it looked a smashing crop but it failed to live up to expectations. It looked as good as the Infinity in the next field (4.2t/ac) but came in at 3.3t/ac, the same as another field of Infinity which always looked much poorer. Grain quality was good at 64kph and 3% screenings at 16.5 % moisture.

With the removal of IPU what approach to Autumn herbicide did people take last year? How effective was it, any drawbacks like crop scorch etc

With the removal of IPU what approach to Autumn herbicide did people take last year? How effective was it, any drawbacks like crop scorch etc
Generic defy and dff, worked very well.1.75 and .2. No scorch. Groundsel and fumitory are an issue but then again they are an issue with most autumn herbs. Cheap SU in spring cleaned them up along with the fools parsley that doesn’t ever appear until March anyway.

Generic defy and dff, worked very well.1.75 and .2. No scorch. Groundsel and fumitory are an issue but then again they are an issue with most autumn herbs. Cheap SU in spring cleaned them up along with the fools parsley that doesn’t ever appear until March anyway.
I presume that needs to be applied pre em because of the defy?

I presume that needs to be applied pre em because of the defy?
Nope, 90% of the crops I saw that had it were post emergence, 2 to 3 leaf stage. Try to avoid the overlaps alright. It’s as cheap and cost effective as what’s going. I think cheap in the autumn as there if often a spring mop up needed so save the few €€€’s for that. Defy is great on cleavers so give or take €5/6 an acre of just an SU in the spring does the rest then

Back