hedgecutting

Anyone else struggling with cleavers (I think that's what it is):unsure: round the arable fields this time? The bloody stuff seems to be in every field here, its wrapping round the end of the rotor and bearing housings. Knackered a bearing last year with it!!!!!!
do 2 passes on them,1 to ruff them off and a good cut

Tried that, trouble is they get sucked up off the ground!
Never had much joy making 2 passes either, make sure your end flails are very sharp as it's usually from either end that it starts sucking them up and the sharp flails will usually stop it wrapping up

Did you try running the head in reverse, I don’t have much of a problem with them on the ground maybe all the brash that falls down helps put a bit of substance to it, but I’ll get caught time to time dragging a bit along the side, just have to reverse back and flick it off.

Did you try running the head in reverse, I don’t have much of a problem with them on the ground maybe all the brash that falls down helps put a bit of substance to it, but I’ll get caught time to time dragging a bit along the side, just have to reverse back and flick it off.
As you say l also find First run downcut and second run upcut works out ok. Dragging is a bigger issue for me too.

Anyone else struggling with cleavers (I think that's what it is):unsure: round the arable fields this time? The bloody stuff seems to be in every field here, its wrapping round the end of the rotor and bearing housings. Knackered a bearing last year with it!!!!!!
Got a dose of it today in a grass field @Win , IMG_20180908_125038.jpg , enough to stall the rotor with 85HP..:curse::curse:

A mattress buried deep in a clump of briars is possibly the worst offender you could pick up. Spring wire wrapped around the whole rotor and gone in around the bearings is a nightmare. I'd gladly trim the hair of the person who dumped the mattress with my McConnell trimmer...
MF30

A mattress buried deep in a clump of briars is possibly the worst offender you could pick up. Spring wire wrapped around the whole rotor and gone in around the bearings is a nightmare. I'd gladly trim the hair of the person who dumped the mattress with my McConnell trimmer...
MF30
Phone lines are the worst of they get caught at the end of the rotor, the order shield melts into the hub letting the thin strands into the bearing, a right pain in the hoop and you on the side of the road trying to get out of Dodge before someone cops what your after doing. So I've been told anyway..........:whistle:

Phone lines are the worst of they get caught at the end of the rotor, the order shield melts into the hub letting the thin strands into the bearing, a right pain in the hoop and you on the side of the road trying to get out of Dodge before someone cops what your after doing. So I've been told anyway..........:whistle:

Sher god knows that would never happen a man of your talent dec :tt2:

Do you take a Snapchat before you get out of your predicament :scratchhead:

So which side do you sharpen on competition flails? I've always done the bottom to keep the flail profile the same as when its new but this guy reckons that's wrong, so which is the right way?:unsure:

So which side do you sharpen on competition flails? I've always done the bottom to keep the flail profile the same as when its new but this guy reckons that's wrong, so which is the right way?:unsure:
I would be if the same opinion as the video but i use Ts

You need to keep the bottom of the flail flat so there's no bounce on it to split the wood out behind it . Having said that I sharpen the top side of the flail as I think you grind less steel off making them last longer and every now and then grind the bottom down to flatten them off . As soon as my phone stops crashing and constantly restarting I'll get a chance to look at your clip

Edit
Yep just like he's doing

Back