New Goslings

Will they be destined for the Christmas table?
Or too late for that?

How's the drought over there affected you? (Probably a thousand miles from you!?!)

They have become pets/ guard geese as when you go to the council or police to complain that someone's goose has bit you half an hour after they stop laughing they will tell you where to go.

It is Dry we had a very late and unexpected wet season and had rain in February whit is usually unheard of followed by a good cold winter(by our standards 1DegC) so flowers on the trees are full on so watering flat out and with the dry hot climate the fruit is growing well which in turn will drive down prices due to over supply however the dry country is suffering so a cattle prices are good so stock is being sold and even the breeders as 18months is about the limit where its feasible to feed stock.

Reactions: AYF
Would there be many predators, like foxes or mink that would attack your geese? My mother used to keep geese for the Christmas market and if they were not locked up at night there would be feathers everywhere in the morning, especially when they were young.

They have become pets/ guard geese as when you go to the council or police to complain that someone's goose has bit you half an hour after they stop laughing they will tell you where to go.

It is Dry we had a very late and unexpected wet season and had rain in February whit is usually unheard of followed by a good cold winter(by our standards 1DegC) so flowers on the trees are full on so watering flat out and with the dry hot climate the fruit is growing well which in turn will drive down prices due to over supply however the dry country is suffering so a cattle prices are good so stock is being sold and even the breeders as 18months is about the limit where its feasible to feed stock.

Hope you don't grow strawberries!? What's become of that by now? Gone quiet on the news here!

Mangoes luckily

Yeah still going the Kiwis now have what appears to be a copycat trying his hand at needling strawberry's I hope we don't have anybody get the great idea that other fruit can be done/sewn up, it appears in the industry there seems to be a bit of intergrower strongarming and or disgruntled employees going on that has now backfired and they are all suffering now.
The industry has a mix of ethnic operators and owners that have different views on pay rates this is usually the root cause as with large supermarket chains driving down the farm sale price it only leaves so much as profit im sure it will all come out in the long run.
For now metal detectors are used on the farms however this dose not help if it happens at the whole sale market or in the shop.
I hope they all survive its hard enough to make a dollar without this happening.

Reactions: AYF
Gday Iggy,

We do have foxes another introduced species Dingoes and also wild dogs, I have been working on getting rid of these for a while but roaming packs of dogs do the most damage usually bait or lead injection for them.
The little ones are keped penned up until they are three months old and they can run fast enough the orange panels I have keep them separated from each other and out of site of anything running around at night, open paddock keped clean and short I have found to be the best deterrent as there is no where for the predator to hide and allows for a better shot when they come for dinner.

The little geese and chickens suffer most from the birds that think they are a good snack geese seem to be protective however I had 11 little chickens that I kept penned up for three months and now only have three left after being out for a week, Birds keep down other rodents and are native species so I don't cull them even though I have a permit to do so.

The workers are the other predator I had one ask me if they its possible to make peeking goose, he no longer works for me.

They are pets that alert you to anybody or anything around and most people have a bad childhood memory of having a goose biting them so they work well as a deterrent as well, cheap to run as grass is top on their diet and they are good company as they have personalities.

7.JPG

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 9.JPG

For those who saw the pictures of the little wakers hear are some updated pictures on their growth, they think they are human and have found weeds to be top of the menu. There are now 23 of them in total and two are laying eggs again so more expected.
However they have figured out what's inside a watermelon and the ones left in the paddock post harvest turned out to be fair gain to whoever managed to eat their way through the thick green skin.
The reflection of themselves in the workers quarters stove turned out to be amusing for hours as there must be more geese living in there as every time they look in there are some looking back at them.

Back