Fencing

There was a fella giving out to me the other day about the cost of grant spec straining posts and the likes, "sure they'll all be rotten in ten year's time no matter what kind of posts you put up".
These are pictures I took yesterday of a grant aided fence that was put up at home in the 1920's. All concrete posts, most of them are still intact. The gate posts would put modern efforts to shame, it was plenty wide for horses but the gap is too narrow now for modern equipment particularly as it's at an angle to the ditch.20171029_164301.jpg 20171029_164510.jpg 20171029_164601.jpg

There was a fella giving out to me the other day about the cost of grant spec straining posts and the likes, "sure they'll all be rotten in ten year's time no matter what kind of posts you put up".
These are pictures I took yesterday of a grant aided fence that was put up at home in the 1920's. All concrete posts, most of them are still intact. The gate posts would put modern efforts to shame, it was plenty wide for horses but the gap is too narrow now for modern equipment particularly as it's at an angle to the ditch.View attachment 48967 View attachment 48968 View attachment 48969
How much are concrete posts now I wonder?

Have driven hundreds with the little petrol rammers and work well in all kinds of dirt, get a good set of ear defenders or plugs though you will need them, easier done off a trailer if you are putting in long star pickets as lifting it above your head soon becomes tiering.
The Pneumatic ones are good to if you have a compressor that gives minimum of 35cfm work a little better in rocky conditions.

Reactions: AYF
Have driven hundreds with the little petrol rammers and work well in all kinds of dirt, get a good set of ear defenders or plugs though you will need them, easier done off a trailer if you are putting in long star pickets as lifting it above your head soon becomes tiering.
The Pneumatic ones are good to if you have a compressor that gives minimum of 35cfm work a little better in rocky conditions.
Now as I recall you'r an Ozzy am I corect? And most of what I saw in OZ was steel posts.
Have you done any 4inch round wooden posts with them?

yep, in Oz
Yes only used for star pickets as they ground is to hard or sticky for anything larger, I have a post driver for this similar to the picture below used for concrete, steel, plastic and wood posts.

Next door to me are putting in vines about 300acres of trestles and more coming, they are using treated pine CCA and putting them in with a post rammer the spot they are putting them in is a wallum paddock hard compact sand like concrete, so drill a 3" hole and pound them in, if you use good quality split hardwood posts like ironbark all you need is a point and drive them in.

The little post drivers are good and various kinds and sizes are on the market, give it a go if it saves time and money its a win all round.
post.PNG

I know I keep going on about it, but that sounds like a job for clipex. have you an sds drill and a genny available by any chance? 3/4 to inch hole drilled into pretty much anything and pop them in

I know I keep going on about it, but that sounds like a job for clipex. have you an sds drill and a genny available by any chance? 3/4 to inch hole drilled into pretty much anything and pop them in

I've come to the conclusion clipex are only worth using if you put electric on the top of them,I've had half a dozen bent over this summer by in calf heifers pushing on the fence. :curse:

yeah? I suppose because they're thin they'll cut through the soil.

we're all electric, hadnt considered that.

Back