Brexit

Is the border and the trade taxes that could come with it, the biggest single issue that we, the Irish Face?

What do the British believe they can gain out of Brexit? Yes, they can cut ties with Europe and be in charge of themselves, but isn't it these ties with Europe and the regulations that they follow that allow them the majority of their trade?

Is the border and the trade taxes that could come with it, the biggest single issue that we, the Irish Face?

What do the British believe they can gain out of Brexit? Yes, they can cut ties with Europe and be in charge of themselves, but isn't it these ties with Europe and the regulations that they follow that allow them the majority of their trade?
That was my reason to vote to stay in , I dont profess to have too many definite answers though

Theyare spouting whatever shyte they think we need to hear:rolleyes2:
Am I roach in thinking the original vote was in no small part a route picked by Cameron to placate the eurosceptics and thereby keep the conservative grouping together so that he could form a government that he would then be prime minister of? And it was that more so than a fervent desire to give a voice to the people.

If this is so it is sad that the UK was bought to this point by self motivation.

Before anyone points it out I accept though that having given a voice to the people half did actually any to leave at that point in time based on what the representative groupings communicated to the public.

They asked we said
No point bickering about it if you want democracy.
Not aimed at anyone

Not as simple as that though. It’s not a binary choice, brexit means something different to every leave voter. Tbh every time I look at sky news and the bbc I am amazed how I’ll informed the uk electorate and parliamentarians are.
It’s simply not good enough just to say let’s get on with it. Get on with what ?

They asked we said
No point bickering about it if you want democracy.
Not aimed at anyone
agree 100%, thats what they voted for now get on with it, the world won,t end after brexit just like it hasn,t after trump and maybe its whats needed for agriculture in that we,ll either get paid for our produce or we,ll jack it in , a quick exit compared to the slow lingering death tillage and drystock farming is suffering at the moment

Not as simple as that though. It’s not a binary choice, brexit means something different to every leave voter. Tbh every time I look at sky news and the bbc I am amazed how I’ll informed the uk electorate and parliamentarians are.
It’s simply not good enough just to say let’s get on with it. Get on with what ?
Yes it was
Question was leave eu or stay

I know what the question was. Everyone’s answer meant something different to them though !

I afraid it’s sad to a once great country in a state of paralysis/ civil war.

I am a remainer.

I fear that an awful lot was miss sold to the public with what could happen post brexit.
A lot were sold on "closing the borders" which I think will hardly happen.
An awful lot believed that the red tape that comes with Europe would be cut. Truth is British rule makers and pen pushers created a lot of the Eu red tape, and then gold plated them and enforced them hard over here, a lot of times in order to keep the boys in jobs. Rules post Brexit will likely be copy and paste from the Eu and none of the freedoms.

In my mind we farmers are in a bad place. We will be thought of last. So our produce won't be able to move easily and create a massive backlog. Other countries won't help as they will benefit from lower UK prices. Their supermarket's are just as ruthless and influencial as ours.

As AYF says a hellova lot of leave voters did so on the promise of a bonfire of rules , 2 chances of that happening.

Reactions: AYF
There is something inherently wrong about these brexit negotiations. From looking from the outside in, the whole thing appears to be a political point scoring event which is being played out by politicians in the media. I firmly believe that they have their eye off the ball. They need to refocus. Not for us Irish, but for themselves. The EU will make some gesture to look after Ireland if this thing goes tits up but they will squeeze Britain if Britain can't form an agreement with them.

Back