hedgecutting

No roller @Win ?
No, I've never had the roller on. Would be handy on times and could probably have it up out the way for trimming and lift the head on the orbiter ram to sit it on the roller for cutting grass, a 1.6m one is very heavy though.

No, I've never had the roller on. Would be handy on times and could probably have it up out the way for trimming and lift the head on the orbiter ram to sit it on the roller for cutting grass, a 1.6m one is very heavy though.
I used use the 1.5 head without the roller as with comp flails it did super work but found that any bit of wire was likely to get fired at the tractor as the wire trap seemed less effective without the roller, giddy enough now with the 1.6 with hydraulic roller at full stretch, a set of F16's would make it fierce heavy.

Thought a man if your caliber would gave a hydraulic roller

I used use the 1.5 head without the roller as with comp flails it did super work but found that any bit of wire was likely to get fired at the tractor as the wire trap seemed less effective without the roller, giddy enough now with the 1.6 with hydraulic roller at full stretch, a set of F16's would make it fierce heavy.
There was a trimmer man round here a few years back who had a new pa 93 with a 1.5M head think it was on a 2WD JD 2850 at the time so he took the roller off to save a bit of weight, then one day while doing road side a car pulls up and the guy starts having a go at him about not having the roller on. Anyway after a discussion about the pro's and con's of a roller the trimmer man say's '' have you ever done much with hedgetrimmers?'' As you do when someone appears real clever.
Turned out to be one of the top bloke's from McConnel !!!:eek3: The McConnel man's theory was that it smashed it up better with the roller on??
Thought a man if your caliber would gave a hydraulic roller
Its the weight thing that puts me off, can hardly lift the one end of a 1.6m one by hand, we shall have to see! You got one on yours haven't you??

There was a trimmer man round here a few years back who had a new pa 93 with a 1.5M head think it was on a 2WD JD 2850 at the time so he took the roller off to save a bit of weight, then one day while doing road side a car pulls up and the guy starts having a go at him about not having the roller on. Anyway after a discussion about the pro's and con's of a roller the trimmer man say's '' have you ever done much with hedgetrimmers?'' As you do when someone appears real clever.
Turned out to be one of the top bloke's from McConnel !!!:eek3: The McConnel man's theory was that it smashed it up better with the roller on??

Its the weight thing that puts me off, can hardly lift the one end of a 1.6m one by hand, we shall have to see! You got one on yours haven't you??
Yes well worth it:Thumbp2:

Its the weight thing that puts me off, can hardly lift the one end of a 1.6m one by hand, we shall have to see!
You've got a fair bit of extra weight since you made the VFR arm, a lot of extra metal out near the head, there's a PA7285 Tele VFR with a 1.6 on A NH T6 near me, back right wheel is easy got in the air.

You've got a fair bit of extra weight since you made the VFR arm, a lot of extra metal out near the head, there's a PA7285 Tele VFR with a 1.6 on A NH T6 near me, back right wheel is easy got in the air.
That's the thing I have more weight now than before, how much i'm not sure though. There was one of those outside the factory the one day I went by, it looked a big heavy thing tbh.

What would be the most popular hedge cutter in Europe or other parts of the world. This obsession with Mconnell being the only hedge cutter is baffling.

What would be the most popular hedge cutter in Europe or other parts of the world. This obsession with Mconnell being the only hedge cutter is baffling.
That probably depends on what part of Europe you're in, Orsi or Ferri in Italy and Spain, Noremat if you have loads of money in France or Kuhn, Herder in the Nederlands, thing is Alamo are the parent company of McConnel, Bamford, Spearhead and Twose so the have all the major UK brands. It probably goes back to McConnel being one of the longest established manufacturers of hedgecutters and with the most diverse product range.

has anyone ever worked out the wheel weight on the cutter side with the arm right out?
It must be a good chunk of the total weight, especially if on the up hill and leaning left. Might try and get a wheel on a weighbridge just out of interest.
I know a couple of people who have had other makes and they all say the McConnel head is the best, some have fitted them on other makes. In saying that the guy I used to drive for had a new one last year and he's not at all happy with the way it cuts for some reason.

It must be a good chunk of the total weight, especially if on the up hill and leaning left. Might try and get a wheel on a weighbridge just out of interest.

I know a couple of people who have had other makes and they all say the McConnel head is the best, some have fitted them on other makes. In saying that the guy I used to drive for had a new one last year and he's not at all happy with the way it cuts for some reason.
Say a 1.8 ton cutter and a 7 ton tractor
5.5 ton on rear wheels then a 20ft shift to the left
Looking like 3.5 to 4 ton on the tyre

Back