Winter barley 2019

:Thumbp2:
In a dry time DD is king, now if you figure out a way to reduce the need for Glypho and a good spray program for controlling grass weeds in Winter Barley, I am all ears.
All joking aside, interested in seeing how @Bog Man and @Ugo Schtiglitz go with winter barley. I'm just not brave enough yet.

Well maybe not all joking aside.
Yes it’s really a Shame our national research institute wouldnt put some resources into the above. I’m sure every member of oak park staff must be passing field after field of dust bowl on their daily commute at the minute. The lack of action is Pathetic. And there’s a couple of really good operators doing the alternative within a few miles of the place.

The traditional tillage farmer in all of us loves to see dust (it’s much better than the other traditional alternative) but there’s no way soil blowing around the place can be good and when the inevitable heavy rain does come there’s only one place those fine unstructured particles are heading.

We must be entering into a fairly unprecedented level of dryness at this stage though?

:Thumbp2:
In a dry time DD is king, now if you figure out a way to reduce the need for Glypho and a good spray program for controlling grass weeds in Winter Barley, I am all ears.
All joking aside, interested in seeing how @Bog Man and @Ugo Schtiglitz go with winter barley. I'm just not brave enough yet.

Well maybe not all joking aside.
Regards grass weeds in winter barley, no double crop winter barley, cover crops to compete with weeds, and a rotation of spring crops/brassicas/legumes. For example growing a cover after wb, gives you a hell of a long time until spring. Regards roundup, you would think teagasc would be out there trying alternatives. But then their sponsers bayer et al probably have told them that there are other chemicals ready for launch if it gets banned.

Regards grass weeds in winter barley, no double crop winter barley, cover crops to compete with weeds, and a rotation of spring crops/brassicas/legumes. For example growing a cover after wb, gives you a hell of a long time until spring. Regards roundup, you would think teagasc would be out there trying alternatives. But then their sponsers bayer et al probably have told them that there are other chemicals ready for launch if it gets banned.
Are there actually alternatives to try?

All my winter barley is 2nd cereal and find very little time to establish cover crops between winter wheat harvest and winter barley sowing, but will be following the 2 local wise men to see how they manage with winter barley sowing.
:deyective:

All my winter barley is 2nd cereal and find very little time to establish cover crops between winter wheat harvest and winter barley sowing, but will be following the 2 local wise men to see how they manage with winter barley sowing.
:deyective:
Would I be right in saying that grass weeds should be less of an issue in min-tilled or direct drilled barley after wheat compared to barley after barley due to the availability of herbicides such as Broadway Star, Alister and Pacifica to control grassweeds (sterile brome in particular) in the wheat crop?

Would I be right in saying that grass weeds should be less of an issue in min-tilled or direct drilled barley after wheat compared to barley after barley due to the availability of herbicides such as Broadway Star, Alister and Pacifica to control grassweeds (sterile brome in particular) in the wheat crop?
I think so, but still way worse than after a broadleaf crop.

Grass weeds will be harder to control in WB because it is sowed earlier and particularly if you try to grow continuous WB . Cover crops with good quick ground cover following WB will suppress grass weeds and allow use of a Graminicide.
Oak park tried min tilled WB in the field on the left of the avenue and it was overrun with Brome and had to be abandoned.
The lesson they learned is you should never try this again particularly in the front field.
WB is being grown using min till and zero Tillage . I was never able to grow continuous WW using min Tillage as the Brome was not controllable but I have seen it done but he has gone back to rotations including a large acreage of WB .

Yes it’s really a Shame our national research institute wouldnt put some resources into the above. I’m sure every member of oak park staff must be passing field after field of dust bowl on their daily commute at the minute. The lack of action is Pathetic. And there’s a couple of really good operators doing the alternative within a few miles of the place.

The traditional tillage farmer in all of us loves to see dust (it’s much better than the other traditional alternative) but there’s no way soil blowing around the place can be good and when the inevitable heavy rain does come there’s only one place those fine unstructured particles are heading.

We must be entering into a fairly unprecedented level of dryness at this stage though?

I know it's off topic but weren't Teagasc trying to hire someone recently, Louis, who would be looking at some of these topics.:confused3:

(Might have my wires crossed on that one)

I know it's off topic but weren't Teagasc trying to hire someone recently, Louis, who would be looking at some of these topics.:confused3:

(Might have my wires crossed on that one)
Yes for an EIP funded grass weed project that looks at all kinds of establishment systems.
Not the kind of far reaching, planet saving that is required though unfortunately.
I was involved in the consultation project on behalf of BASE Ireland

I’m sure the project will deliver something but on a fairly Montessori level.

We are going way off topic now but how about instead of these mindless videos about Calibrating seed drills and plant counting they go out and look in a cover crop and see what creatures are flying and crawling g around or do some digging in a no-till field and see what’s living in the soil or look at water quality from land drains.

Last edited:
Horsch ST with P+K down the spout . The Field is destroyed as it has not been plowed in 22 years.
It’s quite apparent from your photo than years of non inversion tillage have ruined the soil tilth and structure
Sow it down and feed Celtic cow

Almost like spring here, winter barley well emerged after ten days with tramlines as clear as a die!

Back